Towing Wrangler on a dolly backwards?

We've looked into the combo golf cart/car dolly as a solution to tow both our Jeep and golf cart but found out here that Jeeps can't go on a dolly (tow on 2 wheels). They have to be towed 4 down..... except Jason's been reading that a way to get around that is to tow it backwards where the rear wheels are on the dolly vs. the front wheels. Has anyone heard of this? Sounds like crazy talk. 

I realize it would be another cost, but if your dead set on towing the wrangler you could always add this to the rear drive shaft. I know they work I had one on my S-10 for several years,

http://www.remcodsc.com/

Our issue is that we currently have a Jeep and a QX56. The QX56 is way too big to tow. That leaves us the Jeep. We're looking at getting another SUV to replace the QX56, but it might be too heavy or have the same issue as the Jeep. 

I believe most dolly manufacturers say not to tow backwards but I heard of tons of people who do it.  I believe one catch is that you need to tie down your steering wheel straight.

The other option is to disconnect the driveshaft.  IMO, this sounds like a lot of work and I wouldn't want to do it but I've heard people say it only takes a few minutes.

Some vehicles can be towed with the rear wheels down and in neutral, it depends on how the transmission is made.

Some still pump fluid to the components while in N which is good and others don't which causes a problem.

The dealer or a good tranny shop should be able to tell you if you can tow rear down w/o issues.

And if you can slide under the Jeep easy enough, pulling the driveshaft shouldn't take long... after the first time breaking everything loose.

• 2 weeks later...