IS HARRY POTTER WORTH SEEING AT UNIVERSAL?

Definitely take a walk through the area and enjoy the architecture, try some Butter Beer (frozen). As far as the actual Harry Potter attraction, it is amazing, interactive, immersive, but overwhelmed me when I rode it. I was advised to ride it a second time even if it bothered me the first time, and while I enjoyed it more because I wasn't quite as overwhelmed, it still messed with my equilibrium.

Dueling Dragons (or whatever it is called now) is an awesome Bolliger and Mabilard coaster that I highly recommend.

I haven't been to Daigon's Alley yet.

I actually like Universal and Islands of Adventure for the eye candy photo opportunities. It just strikes me as unique. However, on a low crowd day, I can see what I want in both parks.

Their current ticket structure keeps me away. Many years ago was able to get a nonexpiring 4-day hopper ticket for just around $100, and used a day once every couple of years, but now at over $100 for one day hopper, just not gonna go there right now. I would even spring for a 4-day nonexpiring for up to $300, but they don't have any nonexpiring ticket options.

The Harry Potter area is great and a lot of fun.  The only time I go to Universal, though, is when I am chaperoning a field trip for the 5th graders at the school I work at.  Like Carol, I find the tickets too expensive, especially when I am not a big fan (other than Harry Potter) of what they have to offer there (I prefer Disney).  

We did the Harry Potter stuff back in Christmas of 2012. I really enjoyed the main ride, but I was the only one in my family who read all of the books. Large parts of the ride were lost on my wife and daughter. That said, I don't do well in simulators and while it's not essentially a simulator- the whole experience left me extremely nauseous. I don't think I would ride it again. But the line and displays were very cool and worth the time in line.

The wand shop was neat but not worth the 2 hour wait time when we first walked past the line. The best advice I got was from the employee in that line- she said, "if you can deal with the cold, wait until night falls - this area becomes a ghost town". We immediately left and went to do other stuff and sure enough, we came back and literally walked onto many rides and everything else had short waits. It was chilly, but we came prepared. At the wand shop, when we did go in- my daughter was disappointed that she didn't get picked for the wand selection "ceremony". But, we lucked into a pretty amazing clerk inside the store who made my daughter feel special. We bought a second wand later for her friend and had a ho-hum and disappointing experience. It all comes down to who you get.

The other rollercoasters in that area were pretty phenomenal.

For me, for the butter beer: BLEGH! YUCK! But, my wife liked it. :)

We really enjoy Universal. For those who like rides and rollercoasters, I think it's a way better time than WDW. I'm also a little taken back by comments above on the price as I feel like WDW is just as spendy.

We were there a few weeks ago and got to see the new Diagon Alley area.

We loved the first area (Hogsmeade) but IMO this blows it away.

It's a bigger area for starters, with much more to see, and they've done a super amazing job of making you feel like you're really IN the movie.

I thought the Gringott's ride was even better than the Hogwarts ride.

The train between the 2 parks/areas is pretty awesome in the detail and experience.

The lines for, well everything, in Diagon Alley were so much less than when the Hogsmeade area first opened and you had to wait in line just to get in the shops.  We went during the week in early November and it was very manageable and didn't feel crowded at all.  I'm not sure if it's because the area is much bigger, or the novelty of the original area has worn off a bit.  Although we hopped over to Hogsmeade later in the day and it was actually pretty crowded.  I really think it's a function of how small that area is, because ride waits weren't more than 30 minutes in either area.

Is there also something you have to rent to interact with some of the display? Heard something about that but not sure...

They have what's kind of a version of Sorcerer's at WDW where you can get a wand and interact with different things around the area.  We didn't do it, so I'm not sure what's involved.

I have a bunch of photos I can share if you want, just let me know (don't want to spoil it if you'd rather see it in person first).

As for ticket prices... if you think you'll get there at least 4 days in a 12 month period, look at the basic AP.  It's only about $50 more than the 3 day ticket and gets you some other perks as well. Keep in mind that if you want to see all the HP stuff in both parks, you have to have their 2-park (park hopper) ticket.  You cannot ride the train between the 2 areas without it.

Also, in addition to the HP area on the UO side, they've expanded the whole Simpson's area by a ton (very fun) and have also opened the Transformers ride fairly recently.  So a bunch more to see/do besides just HP.

Also I agree that if you like good coasters, both parks are the way to go.  In addition to Dueling Dragons and the Hulk on the Islands side, the Rip, Ride Rockit coaster on the Universal side is terrific.

Definitely take a walk through the area and enjoy the architecture, try some Butter Beer (frozen). As far as the actual Harry Potter attraction, it is amazing, interactive, immersive, but overwhelmed me when I rode it. I was advised to ride it a second time even if it bothered me the first time, and while I enjoyed it more because I wasn't quite as overwhelmed, it still messed with my equilibrium.

I've got issues with virtual reality rides, and the Hogwarts ride is a bit iffy for me.  I found as long as I looked straight ahead in the VR parts, it was ok.

The Gringott's ride is different.  There's much more straight-up motion of the ride, and less riding through the VR parts.  It also doesn't shake you up quite as much as the Hogwarts ride does.  I didn't have any motion sickness issues with it at all.

Also I agree that if you like good coasters, both parks are the way to go.  In addition to Dueling Dragons and the Hulk on the Islands side, the Rip, Ride Rockit coaster on the Universal side is terrific.

Hand's down- the Hulk ride is my favorite roller coaster that I've ever been on (not that I'm a connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination!).

We did the Harry Potter stuff back in Christmas of 2012. I really enjoyed the main ride, but I was the only one in my family who read all of the books. Large parts of the ride were lost on my wife and daughter. That said, I don't do well in simulators and while it's not essentially a simulator- the whole experience left me extremely nauseous. I don't think I would ride it again. But the line and displays were very cool and worth the time in line.

The wand shop was neat but not worth the 2 hour wait time when we first walked past the line. The best advice I got was from the employee in that line- she said, "if you can deal with the cold, wait until night falls - this area becomes a ghost town". We immediately left and went to do other stuff and sure enough, we came back and literally walked onto many rides and everything else had short waits. It was chilly, but we came prepared. At the wand shop, when we did go in- my daughter was disappointed that she didn't get picked for the wand selection "ceremony". But, we lucked into a pretty amazing clerk inside the store who made my daughter feel special. We bought a second wand later for her friend and had a ho-hum and disappointing experience. It all comes down to who you get.

The other rollercoasters in that area were pretty phenomenal.

For me, for the butter beer: BLEGH! YUCK! But, my wife liked it. :)

We really enjoy Universal. For those who like rides and rollercoasters, I think it's a way better time than WDW. I'm also a little taken back by comments above on the price as I feel like WDW is just as spendy.

Yes, WDW is just as spendy, but WDW to us is a destination, and we invest in Annual Passes, so the cost per day is way down for us. Universal/IOA is a one day experience every few years, so therefore the 1-day cost is huge!

Yes, WDW is just as spendy, but WDW to us is a destination, and we invest in Annual Passes, so the cost per day is way down for us.

Agreed.

We went with the basic APs for UO this year because we know we'll be back next year too when the in-laws come with us.  We did a full Harry Potter day this year but that was it.  We'll be back for more HP, plus coasters and all the rest next time.

Normally we only hit UO every other year-ish.

I love the Harry Potter areas of US and IOA! I have trouble with the rides with screens usually too. The ride in the Hogwart's castle made me sick the only time I ever rode it. I refuse to get back on now. The Gringott's ride didn't bother me at all. I also can't do Simpsons and Spider-Man, but I do fine with the Transformers ride. Maybe they've gotten better with this technology and the rides are just so much smoother? I don't know. We've got annual passes for Universal, along with our Disney passes. So, we try to work in a trip or two to Universal when we head down to Disney. I have the cheapest annual pass (has block out dates - doesn't matter because we go in the off-season) and Kenneth has the pass that includes parking and discounts. I've also heard that that part of the park is less crowded later in the evening.

I would love to see the pictures, if everyone else would!! . ( tried quoting but it didn't work out using my phone)

Ok.  I'll start a new thread.  That way if anyone doesn't want to see they can just ignore it.  8)

I love the Harry Potter areas of US and IOA! I have trouble with the rides with screens usually too. The ride in the Hogwart's castle made me sick the only time I ever rode it. I refuse to get back on now. The Gringott's ride didn't bother me at all. I also can't do Simpsons and Spider-Man, but I do fine with the Transformers ride. Maybe they've gotten better with this technology and the rides are just so much smoother?

For me, the more the ride actually moves for real, the better.  When the movement is mostly simulated in conjunction with the movies/virtual reality stuff, I have the most trouble.

You've come to the right place for ride reviews and recommendations.

And you can always count on your friendly neighborhood Troll to give you the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

And here it is: The Harry Potter ride sucks. It sucks major monkey reproductive organs.

Allow me to give you a roundup of what you'll experience.

First, you'll attempt to enter the queue and some very poorly trained Disney reject Universal castmember will curtly bark at you that you may not take your camera bag, purse, or backpack on the ride. You have to stuff that in a locker...that you have to pay for.

Oh, but don't worry -- the give you the locker for 11 minutes free. But if you wait in the queue longer than 11 minutes, you have to pay money to retrieve your valuables.

Oh, and then the lockers are jammed into this dark, extremely claustrophibic cave where, like, 800 zillion other unsuspecting tourists are all also trying to locate a locker to stuff their valuables in.

OK, so now your bag is in a locker. You head into the queue. Like Disney, Universal attempted to make the queue part of the attraction -- but they failed miserably. The "dazzling" attraction are these computer monitors with painting frames around them, enabling a computer to show different animations in each monitor. The effect is that the subject of each painting is arguing with other paintings.

Wow! State of the art.

All easily done on your home laptop, running Windows 7.

Anyway, so you endure this extremely annoying queue with "paintings" of kids speaking in very badly affected fake British accents.

Then you ride the "ride," which is little more than a hanging couch. Yes, a couch. They tip the couch up and back and down and left...all very violently and annoyingly. While they're subjecting you to this, really cheap zombie dummies pop out and really cheap dragon things pop out. Halfway through the ride, I was bored, annoyed, and wanted off, desperately.

When you go, keep all these pointers in mind. Try as you might, you will have to concede, "That damn Troll was right."

Depending on what excites you in terms of theme parks, Universal Studios delivers a ton of exciting features.  We cannot/will not visit Florida without going.  

Expensive is an understatement!  And I am a single mother with one in college but I still fit this in to our budget.  I agree with Mo, if you are going to visit more than 4 times, go with AP.  You will find, also, that the worst part about the entire experience is the Fast Pass system.  Not only is it additionally expensive, there are two variations.  The regular fast pass allows you to skip the lines once per ride and the Unlimited fast pass allows you to skip the lines unlimited amount of times.  The kicker is that Harry Potter is excluded.  There are other exclusions, but they don't come right out and tell you that, so be careful.  We normally try and stay on site when we go because you get a package "deal" that includes unlimited fp.  But again, staying on site means a 4 star hotel and consequently, high prices.  

But to my girls and I, it is worth every penny!   

I have no trouble with the teacups at all.

...as long as no one spins them.   B)

Ok, I put all my photos on this thread...

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/14373-wizarding-world-of-harry-potter-diagon-alley/

Mo doesn't like me spinning the teacups!  :P