Advice needed on 4 parks/one day

We will be at WDW the first weekend in January.  DH and I aren't getting park tickets, the kids (teenagers) are getting one day park hoppers.  They really want to try and tackle all four parks, I just need a little expert advice to help them out.  They are all experienced so know their way around with no problem.

They plan to be at HS for early entry at 8:00. All they really care to do there is TSMM, TOT and RRC.  Do all three of those rides open for early entry?  Also, they do enjoy the drawing class but something tells me that doesn't start until later in the morning. Can anyone confirm this?

Next, they're not sure if they should go to AK or Epcot.  Does HS have buses that run to both?  Or do they have to take the boat if they go to Epcot?  I remember that taking forever and a day.

On their list for Epcot is TT, which they can do single riders.  They would like to do Soarin but we know that's tough without a fastpass.  They would probably also do Spaceship Earth, and possibly the Sum of All Thrills.  At AK they want to do Everest, Dinosaur and if possible, the Safari.  So not sure which park would be best for second to hit?

They plan on ending the day at MK.  MK is open until 1 am, we'll see how long they last.  They have a fastpass starting at 3:50 for the Mine Train.  Then later on Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain.  Do you think it's too ambitious for them to make that first fastpass time?

Also, I'm concerned that the afternoon parade may mess them up entering the park around that time.

Anyway, they are excited, it would be a first for them, like a personal quest.  Meanwhile, DH and I will be lounging poolside.  We may rent bikes at the Lodge and make it over to FW, at least that's the plan. Hope the weather in January will cooperate with that.  I will keep my eye out for any fiend signs and say hello!

It's fun to do all four parks in one day, I've done it before.

But YES, there is a bus from the entrance of DHS to the front entrance of Epcot.

OR they could walk the path, much faster than the boat!

I didn't think about walking. Will tell them to keep it as an option. Thanks!

So fun to do!!

I did this last year in early November (i.e., crowds were fairly low, probably close to what early Jan should be) and here's how it went...

HS - rope drop dash to TSM, TOT, RNRR single rider.

AK - about 10am - safari, Everest single rider

EP - about 2pm - TT single rider, Soarin

MK (which was open until 1) - about 5pm - all the mountains, a bunch of other stuff, and we even squeezed in dinner at BOG

If I was going to do it now I'd use FP for the Mine Train (which wasn't open last Nov), but I think it would be tough to make the 3:50 FP, especially if you end up having to ride Soarin stand-by.

If they go to EP from HS I agree that walking is faster but... this is a marathon-type day and they might not want to do the extra walking.  B)

If I was going to do it now I'd use FP for the Mine Train (which wasn't open last Nov), but I think it would be tough to make the 3:50 FP, especially if you end up having to ride Soarin stand-by.

If they go to EP from HS I agree that walking is faster but... this is a marathon-type day and they might not want to do the extra walking. B)

That was my concern. I just wanted to make sure they get to ride the Mine Train as they've never done it and I know it goes down kind of frequently. I think I will see if they can move it a bit later though.

Glad to hear your experience was so much fun!

Here is a blog post about when I did 4 parks in one day with some Wild Women.

http://memoirable.blogspot.com/2014/01/four-parks-in-one-day.html

That looks like it was a fun day. And it was reasonable, you didn't kill yourselves (although maybe it felt like you did!).

That looks like it was a fun day. And it was reasonable, you didn't kill yourselves (although maybe it felt like you did!).

I had a fun time, and even spent time with the non-park Wild Womenz after we got back.  That time may or may not have included a toasted almond from Carol and a song from a very Wild Womanz.

Unfortunately, I did wake up the next morning feeling not quite right which developed into flu.  Hard to say when I caught it, but running myself down probably helped it to really develop nicely.  I recommend being sure to take ample quantities of Airborne and using lots of hand sanitzer.

Is that marathon weekend? 

I hope you'll let us know how they end up doing!

No, it's January 3rd.  I'm a little concerned about crowds but am hoping people will be heading home that Saturday from their holiday trips.

And yes, I will report back!

I had a fun time, and even spent time with the non-park Wild Womenz after we got back.  That time may or may not have included a toasted almond from Carol and a song from a very Wild Womanz.

Unfortunately, I did wake up the next morning feeling not quite right which developed into flu.  Hard to say when I caught it, but running myself down probably helped it to really develop nicely.  I recommend being sure to take ample quantities of Airborne and using lots of hand sanitzer.

That stinks that you ended up getting sick.  I've already told the family to start being extra diligent about hand washing since our trip is only a few weeks away.

That stinks that you ended up getting sick.  I've already told the family to start being extra diligent about hand washing since our trip is only a few weeks away.

WDW in general is a germ factory.  I carry anti-bac to the parks (which I rarely use in real life) and we've learned to touch as little as possible, and wash our hands whenever we can.  

Sure I look silly opening the parking tram doors with my elbows, but I just managed to go 3 weeks without picking up anything.  8)

I'm with Marty on the Airborne too.  If nothing else you get a little boost of vitamins, but I swear by the stuff.

Sounds like a fun day.

The timing of the Mine Train FP+ and trying to ride Soarin' are the only problems I see.

Since MK is open so late, why not do Hollywood Studios, then AK, then hop to the MK for some rides, including that Mine Train FP+ time.  Then hop to Epcot late- like right before Epcot closing. They could do TT standby, and hop in to the Soarin' line right before Illuminations.  Then book it out of there back to the MK for the rest of the time it's open.  Not the best plan, but it gets TT and Soarin' done with minimal wait time.  They could ride the Epcot monorail both ways, which is much more fun than the bus.

TCD

WDW in general is a germ factory.  I carry anti-bac to the parks (which I rarely use in real life) and we've learned to touch as little as possible, and wash our hands whenever we can.  

Sure I look silly opening the parking tram doors with my elbows, but I just managed to go 3 weeks without picking up anything.  B)

I'm with Marty on the Airborne too.  If nothing else you get a little boost of vitamins, but I swear by the stuff.

Airborne is a good idea.  Will have to get some.

Sounds like a fun day.

The timing of the Mine Train FP+ and trying to ride Soarin' are the only problems I see.

Since MK is open so late, why not do Hollywood Studios, then AK, then hop to the MK for some rides, including that Mine Train FP+ time.  Then hop to Epcot late- like right before Epcot closing. They could do TT standby, and hop in to the Soarin' line right before Illuminations.  Then book it out of there back to the MK for the rest of the time it's open.  Not the best plan, but it gets TT and Soarin' done with minimal wait time.  They could ride the Epcot monorail both ways, which is much more fun than the bus.

TCD

That's a good idea about doing Epcot right before closing, otherwise there's no way they'll ever ride Soarin'.  I guess it will depend on how badly they want to do it.

Checked this morning on changing their time for the mine train but it's saying no times available so I think that is the one thing they will need to work around.  I think they made it for that time so they could ride it in the daylight.  They're hoping to get on again late night to ride it in the dark.  We'll see.

That's a good idea about doing Epcot right before closing, otherwise there's no way they'll ever ride Soarin'.  I guess it will depend on how badly they want to do it.

Checked this morning on changing their time for the mine train but it's saying no times available so I think that is the one thing they will need to work around.  I think they made it for that time so they could ride it in the daylight.  They're hoping to get on again late night to ride it in the dark.  We'll see.

I haven't done it in a while, but during Illuminations, there is usually no line for Soarin'.  Just time it to jump in line right before the park closes.  They will miss Illuminations, but get to ride. One important thing here is to head right to the monorail as soon as they ride- no dawdling-there will be a lot of guests trying to do the same thing at park close, and they should be able to beat the crowd out.

That's a good idea about riding Mine Train in the daylight and then again later at night. I think that would be doable as Mo suggests, below.  And the experience is different at night.  I like the views of the park you get during the day, but I like the effects and lighting on the ride better after dark.

The other option if they can't get a Mine Train FP is to save it for the very end of the night.  There will still be a lengthy line, but if they jump in right before park close it's likely to be shorter than earlier in the day.

Agreed. It's amazing how fast lines move once it's time for the CM's to go home.

TCD

Great suggestions, thanks.  They're really excited about it and at the same time I'm excited I'm not doing it!  I'm looking forward to a much more relaxing day than they will have.

Am I crazy?  I would love to do it with them.  Sounds like they will have a blast!!

Am I crazy? I would love to do it with them. Sounds like they will have a blast!!

Haha, no you're not crazy. But my DH will be there and that is not his idea of a good time. So I will spend the day with him, relaxing.

Last year I won a trip to WDW for four people. So I went with my 3 daughters and we had marathon days and nights, it was so much fun. So yes, I do love getting all I can out of my Disney days, just not this trip ;).

• 4 weeks later...

Update; yesterday was the one day, four parks and for the most part it was a success. They hit HS for early opening. Unfortunately RNRC was down but they did everything else they wanted to do there.

Next they hit AK, did Dinosoar, EE, and Primevil Whirl. Next stop MK where they used their afternoon fastpasses for the big rides and were able to hit a couple more.

They met up with us for a GAG at FW which we had on the front porch. In protest we did not sit at a high table but went for a picnic table ;)

From there they left for Epcot. Unfortunately could not get on Soarin as they got off TT at 9:01. The wait there had been a little more than was posted. Oh well, no worries, they hopped on the monorail back to MK. They said it was super packed and couldn't get on much so they called it a day. All in all they said it was a fun, successful day.

On the flip side, our day consisted of visiting the monorail resorts, riding bikes from WL to the Fort and doing some looping, some drinks back at the WL pool bar, pool time, nap time, the GAG back at the Fort, then fireworks from the top of Bay Lake Tower. So a great day for us too!

Thanks for all the advice. We all made the most of our one day here!