The TCD Gang Goes to Disneyland!

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whoa! Stop the bus! Stop the bus! Back up the damn boat!   Snow White had to WALK?! That's bullsh*t!   Let's face it, people, it all did NOT start with a Mouse -- it started with a princess and her na

Sounds like we need to plan a Grand Gathering just to do the bumper cars at Knobels!!!!!!

Yesterday at this time, the TCD gang was in Disneyland, eating lunch in the Plaza Inn, and otherwise enjoying our last of a five day invasion of the Happiest Place on Earth.   We arrived early on Thur

Thanks for the excellent trip report. Before reading it I sort of wanted to go to Disneyland some day. Now I really really want to go to Disneyland some day soon. But I will skip the candy canes, which I don't really like anyway. I also don't like corndogs. But the other food looked good.

A thought about your comparison of DL and WDW. I wonder if because WDW has 3 parks with minimum rides compared to DL more people buy parkhoppers and thus spend more $ on tickets for WDW. Those aren't all day parks (if one is mostly into the rides) but people still want to experience them. .

And a piece of trivia. I didn't watch the Steve Martin video so maybe he mentions it.  But he worked in DL as a teenager. 

Now that you are done, great report as always. I also like the comparison and have really never looked at the number of rides at each park. I did know that DHS didn't have many and is why we didn't go to that park back in 2011 when we were there. I felt like it would have been a waste for the girls at their ages(3 & 4) than, now that they are older we plan on hitting it on our next trip. Thanks for all the info, because it helps in my planning.

Best Regards,

Norm

There are plenty of shows to see at DHS like the Muppets, the current Frozen Sing-a-long, the Beauty and the Beast show,  Playhouse Disney, and Lights Motor Action.  Also, there's the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground, which my girls used to love (and I used to hate- my knees will never be the same after crawling through all the ant tunnels looking for them).  So, you can have fun there with your daughters.  But, I still say it's crazy that they only currently have 5 rides and no parade.

Now off to WDW for a corndog adventure!

I'm actually not very excited about this.  I wish that food truck was someplace other than Downtown Disney.  With the current state of things there, I am not making a trip there for a corn dog.  If I have a good reason to go there, I'd rather eat at Earl of Sandwich.

And I look forward to reading to results!

Don't hold your breath.  It could take me a while.

Excellent summary and final thoughts. 

Your analysis of the ride situation is kind of sad for WDW. It could be so much more! 

I will make it out to DL one of these days. 

Visiting California Adventure, and finding all of the rides other than Radiator Springs Racers to have very short waits made us all realize how ride deficient the parks other than the MK are at WDW.   It's pretty bad when you stop to think about it, and it's worse now with no ride at Norway, and the Backlot Tour closed at DHS.

Thanks for the excellent trip report. Before reading it I sort of wanted to go to Disneyland some day. Now I really really want to go to Disneyland some day soon. But I will skip the candy canes, which I don't really like anyway. I also don't like corndogs. But the other food looked good.

A thought about your comparison of DL and WDW. I wonder if because WDW has 3 parks with minimum rides compared to DL more people buy parkhoppers and thus spend more $ on tickets for WDW. Those aren't all day parks (if one is mostly into the rides) but people still want to experience them. .

And a piece of trivia. I didn't watch the Steve Martin video so maybe he mentions it.  But he worked in DL as a teenager. 

Counting all of the shows and other attractions spread over the four parks, WDW has more stuff for guests to do than Disneyland.  So, I think you're exactly right, things are distributed to make park hoppers attractive to guests.

You should find the time to watch the video, Steve does mention that he worked in the Magic Shop at Disneyland, and the video shows a photo of him from then.

TCD

Then we need to think of another reason for you to visit WDW.

No worries there.  I'll be there soon.

Excellent summary.  There are things I could do without at DL (like Jack Skellinton in the HM), but there are things at DL/DCA that I'd like to see at WDW.  I guess it's a tradeoff.

That's a good way to put it.  There are definitely things at DL that would be cool to see at WDW (like the Indiana Jones ride and Cars Land).  There's not much room to add anything at DL.  I think that's why they have to go with the holiday overlays and more elaborate shows.

Great trip report, I'm sad to see it end. By the way. I'm now craving a corn dog, I don't like corn dogs.. Thank you TCD!!

If you don't like corn dogs, then those Disneyland corndogs are for you!

TCD

Yeah, and they can be requestedeth without sides, too.  Knocks a little coin off the price. 

I actually wanted to get a Hot Link Corn Dog from there, but the twins vetoed that plan.  They said we HAD to got to the Little Red Wagon.

I liked how the corndogs at the castle "cometh" with sides:

TCD

TCD,

Thanks SO much for this terrific trip report!!

What a let down on the candy canes!! Man, I have wanted one ever since I saw them being made on Guy's show!!! Actually I still want one! I take comfort in the fact that you admit that you and the twins are not big fans of candy canes to begin with. I, however, LOVE candy canes! In fact just last week I bought 8 boxes of the mini candy canes on clearance at Walgreens! So, while I realize they may not taste any better than the average candy cane, I do believe I will really enjoy a Disneyland candy cane when I finally get out to DL during the Holidays. I wish I lived close to you, then I would buy your extra one that is sitting in your cupboard!!

Really enjoyed your comparison of WDW and DL. I totally agree with all of your points. They are some of the very things that I have shared with friends and family too. However, most people don't get it, and don't understand how great DL and DCA is!

I wish we had a DL trip planned this year, but sadly will most likely not get out there again until 2016.

Heidi

TCD,

Thanks SO much for this terrific trip report!!

What a let down on the candy canes!! Man, I have wanted one ever since I saw them being made on Guy's show!!! Actually I still want one! I take comfort in the fact that you admit that you and the twins are not big fans of candy canes to begin with. I, however, LOVE candy canes! In fact just last week I bought 8 boxes of the mini candy canes on clearance at Walgreens! So, while I realize they may not taste any better than the average candy cane, I do believe I will really enjoy a Disneyland candy cane when I finally get out to DL during the Holidays. I wish I lived close to you, then I would buy your extra one that is sitting in your cupboard!!

Really enjoyed your comparison of WDW and DL. I totally agree with all of your points. They are some of the very things that I have shared with friends and family too. However, most people don't get it, and don't understand how great DL and DCA is!

I wish we had a DL trip planned this year, but sadly will most likely not get out there again until 2016.

Heidi

How long do you think candy canes will last?  Nobody wants to eat the one I have, so I'll give it to you.  Seriously, if you want it, PM your address to me, and I'll wrap it up in bubble wrap and send it.  I'd love to hear the opinion of a candy cane expert. Or, if it will keep, I'll get it to you in person the next time you're at WDW.

I would like to get out to Disneyland again this year to see the 60th anniversary stuff.  If the twins do another college program out there, then I'll probably go several times before this year is out.  We shall see.

TCD

Have you tried the Hot Link one?  That sounded good to me.

TCD

No, not yet.  Just Original. 

You make a good point about the 60th anniversary.  I should try to get out there this year :D  I was there for Tinker Bell Half Marathon the past two years, and a race weekend does not make for a good park-going weekend.

How long do you think candy canes will last?  Nobody wants to eat the one I have, so I'll give it to you.  Seriously, if you want it, PM your address to me, and I'll wrap it up in bubble wrap and send it.  I'd love to hear the opinion of a candy cane expert. Or, if it will keep, I'll get it to you in person the next time you're at WDW.

I would like to get out to Disneyland again this year to see the 60th anniversary stuff.  If the twins do another college program out there, then I'll probably go several times before this year is out.  We shall see.

TCD

Oh my, be still my beating heart!!!! YES.....I would LOVE the candy cane!!! I will PM you my address. I am not sure when our next WDW trip will be. Our January trip was a DISASTER (I got VERY sick......had to go to the ER at the Celebration hospital twice........it was an awesome hospital and I would highly recommend it to anybody in the area in need. Unfortunately, I was not getting better, so we had to spend close to 1k to change our flights and fly home early......I needed to be hospitalized one more time once we arrived home, but I am happy to say that all appears to be well now!) so we have tossed around the idea of flying down in May right after our boys college semester ends. However, I am not sure if that will work with everybody schedules, so our next trip won't be until October. Sure wish we lived close like you do so we could visit almost anytime and not have to deal with the expense of airfare. I would hate for the candy cane to have to wait until October, so if you are really willing to mail it that would be AWESOME!!

I am not sure if I am a "candy cane expert" but I did buy 4 more boxes today!!!

That would be great if the twins do the college program at DL. Best of luck to them if they are applying for that now. Off to send you a PM!!

No, not yet.  Just Original. 

You make a good point about the 60th anniversary.  I should try to get out there this year :D  I was there for Tinker Bell Half Marathon the past two years, and a race weekend does not make for a good park-going weekend.

I like how you said not yet!  That's the spirit.

I am curious as to why you chose to go to Disneyland for the Tinker Bell Half Marathons rather than doing one at WDW.

Oh my, be still my beating heart!!!! YES.....I would LOVE the candy cane!!! I will PM you my address. I am not sure when our next WDW trip will be. Our January trip was a DISASTER (I got VERY sick......had to go to the ER at the Celebration hospital twice........it was an awesome hospital and I would highly recommend it to anybody in the area in need. Unfortunately, I was not getting better, so we had to spend close to 1k to change our flights and fly home early......I needed to be hospitalized one more time once we arrived home, but I am happy to say that all appears to be well now!) so we have tossed around the idea of flying down in May right after our boys college semester ends. However, I am not sure if that will work with everybody schedules, so our next trip won't be until October. Sure wish we lived close like you do so we could visit almost anytime and not have to deal with the expense of airfare. I would hate for the candy cane to have to wait until October, so if you are really willing to mail it that would be AWESOME!!

I am not sure if I am a "candy cane expert" but I did buy 4 more boxes today!!!

That would be great if the twins do the college program at DL. Best of luck to them if they are applying for that now. Off to send you a PM!!

I got the PM.  As soon as I can figure out how to pack the candy cane, it will be on the way!

I'm sorry about all that you went through during your January trip.  That stinks! 

Awesome, awesome trip report! You put so much detail in your reports! I don't even know how you remember everything.

Thanks.  I don't know how I remember everything either.

Actually, I don't remember everything.  There's a lot of stuff I remember after the fact, and it never makes it in to the report.

TCD

As I have mentioned before, we avoid artificial colors and flavors because we have found that that the petroleum used to make them makes my oldest boy cock-coo when he eats them.  Seriously off the wall.  So anyway...

A few years ago, i found a company that made candy canes with no artificial colors or flavors, so i ordered some.  In fact, i ordered a case.  We used those for at least five years.  They tasted fine - the same as the first year.  In fact, we probably would still have some, but without A/C in the house, they melted.  They were still in their plastic wrappings, but they were yucky after that so we threw the last few boxes away.

Based on my experience, I think candy canes last a long long time, if stored properly.

As I have mentioned before, we avoid artificial colors and flavors because we have found that that the petroleum used to make them makes my oldest boy cock-coo when he eats them.  Seriously off the wall.  So anyway...

A few years ago, i found a company that made candy canes with no artificial colors or flavors, so i ordered some.  In fact, i ordered a case.  We used those for at least five years.  They tasted fine - the same as the first year.  In fact, we probably would still have some, but without A/C in the house, they melted.  They were still in their plastic wrappings, but they were yucky after that so we threw the last few boxes away.

Based on my experience, I think candy canes last a long long time, if stored properly.

Well, then, that's good news for Heidi.

Her candy cane was just made in early December, and hasn't been exposed to heat.

Hopefully, it will arrive in good shape, and we can have a second opinion about the greatness or not so greatness of the Disneyland candy canes.

TCD

If you are a diligent reader, you may remember that I mentioned I had an interesting postscript to share about the Carthay Circle Restaurant.

This is it.

I hope that you find it as interesting as I do.

The Carthay Circle Restaurant is located right in the middle of California Adventure, and serves as one of the symbols, if not the primary symbol, of the park.

The Disney Parks Blog, in last week's announcement about the 60th anniversary celebration to take place this year at Disneyland, told us that both the castle in Disneyland and the Carthay Circle Restaurant in California Adventure would be getting special decorations:

blog%20carthay%20circle_zpsxq8gkhgw.jpg

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/01/disneyland-resort-diamond-celebration-to-begin-may-22-with-new-nighttime-spectaculars-and-more/

What I didn't know then, but I know now is that the Carthay Circle restaurant is a very new addition to the California Adventure park.  The park underwent a massive, billion dollar plus renovation in 2007-2012, and the Carthay Circle restaurant just opened in June, 2012.  It serves as the anchor of the area of the park called Buena Vista Street, which is supposed to represent 1920's Los Angeles, around the time that Walt Disney arrived there with his suitcase and his dream.  Those Trolley Shows that we enjoyed so much were performed in front of the trolley parked right at the Carthay Circle restaurant.

The Disney Parks Blog made a big deal out of this new addition to California Adventure just two and a half years ago:http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/05/carthay-circle-fountain-revealed-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

Now, here's some stuff that I never knew I never knew.

It started with this post from fellow Fiend Aaron/ACinA2: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/14060-sorcerers-hat-leaving-the-studios/?p=425167

Aaron said his source had given him a schedule for a special event that was to be hosted at DHS last month:

80205F90-0B06-46A2-9796-16CD1E38D52F_zps

Look under the heading Event Entertainment- it says that my favorite band, Mulch, Sweat and Shears would be performing at Carthay Circle.

Huh?

There's a Carthay Circle in DHS?

That's news to me.

I thought it was a typo.

Then I googled it.

Guess what?

California Adventure is not the only Disney park with a replica of the Carthay Circle Theater.

Check this out . . .

This is a mural behind the check-in desk at the All Star Movies resort:

1%2031%2015%20005_zpscdpaucqo.jpg

Do you see that round tower with the tiered top?

That is the Carthay Circle Theater.

But, that's nothing.

Look what I found at DHS:

1%2031%2015%20216_zpssr6nbfyf.jpg

The sign out front says this is the Carthay Circle Theater:

1%2031%2015%20217_zpsotvesriq.jpg

Did you know this was here?

How many times have you walked past it?

That's the Beauty and the Beast theater there to the left, and if we were to turn further to the left, you would see the Tower of Terror:

1%2031%2015%20220_zpsux54hmxn.jpg

Seriously, I must have walked past this gift shop a hundred times, and never paid one bit of attention or realized that it is a replica of an old Hollywood Theater.

So, what's the big deal about this place, anyway?

This photo is on display inside the gift shop:

1%2031%2015%20244_zpstajm83sr.jpg

That is a photo of the real Carthay Theater from back in 1937.  On the night that Walt Disney's new film called Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs premiered.

A lot of famous films had their premiers there, including a little flick called Gone with the Wind.

Sadly, the real theater was neglected, and was torn down in 1969.

Wait, there's more.

That gift shop isn't the only place in DHS that you will find a reference to the Carthay Circle Theater.

If you've been to DHS, you surely remember this arch, right outside the Animation Courtyard- it's the one you have to squeeze through if you're rushing to the Toy Story ride at rope drop,  And the Little Mermaid show is right on the other side:

1%2031%2015%20257_zpstkkdjtwg.jpg

Have you ever paid attention to the detail on that arch?

Like, have you ever looked in the top left corner before?:

1%2031%2015%20258_zpsyiw9pnqs.jpg

Look closer:

carthay%20circle%20detail_zpslxmtnfxy.jp

Well, what do you know?

Wow, this Carthay Circle Theater is all over the place.

And, we aren't finished.

They've added some new displays inside of the One Man's Dream Attraction.

Like this model from when they first announced the new stuff that they planned to add to California Adventure back in 2007.  This is a model of the new Buena Vista Street area:

1%2031%2015%20267_zpsax5aoh3g.jpg

Looking at it from the California Adventure entrance, you can see that distinctive Carthay Circle Theater tower there in the back:

1%2031%2015%20269_zpsocwqe0z8.jpg

This plaque, which is dated 2007, explains what we are looking at:

1%2031%2015%20270_zpstd3tsedq.jpg

Here's one last look at the model from the side:

1%2031%2015%20271_zps5dkruiut.jpg

I never saw the old version of California Adventure.  From what I've read, the old area where Buena Vista Street is now located used to be called Sunshine Plaza.  The new version is much better liked.

So now you know about the Carthay Circle Theater and its significance in Disney's history.  The next time you're at DHS, you can impress your friends by pointing out the overlooked details I've shared here.

As if this wasn't enough, I have seen photos of two other murals in DHS which depict the Carthay Circle Theater.  I tried to get a photo of one of them on my last visit, but Handy Manny and his friends were in there, and they wouldn't let me in.

Don't worry, I'll try again.

TCD

I like how you said not yet!  That's the spirit.

I am curious as to why you chose to go to Disneyland for the Tinker Bell Half Marathons rather than doing one at WDW.

Thanks to you, I pointed out the 60th anniversary to my DH yesterday, and hopefully, we can make a visit!

Actually, I have done three halfs at WDW and 2 at DL now.  Wine & Dine in 2012.  After registering for that, I found out about the Coast to Coast challenge, so I did Tinker Bell and Wine & Dine in 2013 to earn a C2C medal.  Then RunDisney announced a special pink C2C medal for doing both 'girly' races, so I did Tinker Bell and Princess half in 2014.  Theeeeennnnnn, they announced the Glass Slipper Challenge, so I did the 10K and half on Princess weekend.

16251278657_e7561d3f45_o.jpg

16435422231_ef012014aa_o.jpg

16251460677_7365414d46_o.jpg

Reasons I love Disneyland races:

16250931289_b54355680e_o.jpg

16435467011_caa894caf9_o.jpg

16435421811_846eef412d_o.jpg

16437190175_76d3019cac_o.jpg

16411215396_89dcd3c3dd_o.jpg

And a bonus Disneyland photo.  This just randomly happened in front of me. 

16249520468_10b3db8049_b.jpg

And you will probably find these interesting:

http://www.yesterland.com/replicas.html

http://www.yesterland.com/replicas2.html