We did this a few years ago and drove and parked at the Contemporary and were able to park there all day, it is a very nice tour but it also depends on who gives the tour some are better then others. They start off at the Main Street station then head to the round house and explain the startup for the day, it ends up back at the Main Street station with a talk about Walt's railroad setup at his home.

• 1 month later...

I said I would give a full report, but to summarize, I would say I don't know that the tour was worth the cost.  I like trains, have been to plenty of railroads, and been in plenty of roundhouses, and this was not too much different then those.  If you have never been to a working railroad but are interested, this might be for you.  They go deep into detail of the operation of the trains and their railroad.

You get there early and go into the park pretty much before anyone else.  That in and of itself is interesting, I've always loved being in parks really early and watching them "wake up."  You board toward the back of the train that carries the characters for the park opening.  The train takes you around the loop to the turnout that heads back to the roundhouse, and then backs up into the roundhouse area.

You can take as many pictures as you want, but you may not enter the roundhouse itself.  They had several trains out and steaming warming for the day's operations.  The roundhouse also stores the monorail trains, which pass overhead.  I would have liked to have gotten a look at the inner workings of the monorails as well.  The guide gives a complete overview of the train and what every part on the locomotive is for, as well as takes you up into the cab to explain the operation.

You ride a different train back to the Main Street Station, where the guide then gives a history lesson of the railroad there, as well as the railroads in the other parks, each of the locomotives, and of Walt Disney's own backyard train.  Yes, he even mentioned the Fort Wilderness Railroad.

The tour was $54 plus park admission.  It was a decent tour, very informative, and I learned a lot about their operations there.  Below are a few pictures I took:

DSC_1755-XL.jpg

DSC_1764-XL.jpg

DSC_1769-XL.jpg

DSC_1784-XL.jpg

DSC_1880-XL.jpg

DSC_1896-XL.jpg

Thank you for the summary.  I'd been thinking about surprising my DH with this tour, but I don't think it would be worth the time and money.  We have a railroad museum in our area complete with a working steam train and roundhouse that we've visited several times

Thank you for the summary.  I'd been thinking about surprising my DH with this tour, but I don't think it would be worth the time and money.  We have a railroad museum in our area complete with a working steam train and roundhouse that we've visited several times

NC Transportation Museum or New Hope Valley?

I've been to the NC Transportation Museum but not to New Hope Valley although it's closer. We are planning to see the Illinois RR Museum when we are up there in May and hope to get over to the Tennessee Valley Railroad in early fall.

To get back on subject, this is something I'll have to keep in mind for the next time we visit the MK.