What's the "sweet spot" for AP renewal?

For us it's easy because we plan ours out to get our 2 annual vacations in on one pass, so we buy a new one every other year.

Since the last couple of years I've taken a couple of "extra" trips on my own, I've tried to see if it makes sense for me to just renew mine, but ultimately I still come out ahead buying every other year, even if it means I have to buy and extra ticket every once in a while.

Yes there is, and currently, it's around $100 for out of state APs. The problem is, that then your expiration date stays the same. But if you are going to have a few months in between your expiration date and your next trip, it makes sense to just let it expire, and get the new one upon your next trip with the new expiration date.

Florida passes give a grace period to renew for the discount 30 days after it expires.  Not sure about out of state.

Even with the grace period, the start date is the same date it expired.

We're talking about letting it expire, purchasing a new one, and having a start date on the date of purchase.

We do what Mo does.  We have a heavy Disney year and then we hold off renewing until our next trip. 

You might ask BFF for the particulars but I think we have only every renewed once and found it not worth it the discount.  We just used this Disney trip dry spell (having to cancel our Halloween trip) to move our AP start date to the Spring to avoid having it expire during Halloween.