There's been information posted elsewhere for some time now that faxing a loop/site request to the Fort is pointless and that most, if not all faxes, go directly in the trash.  This information resurfaced again just recently, so being the good Fiends we are, my supersecretsource made a point of speaking directly to the Rooms Manager at the Fort to clear this up.

As a result of that conversation I've updated the Loop/Site Request page accordingly...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/loopsite-requests-r125

I'm happy to report that the only real change to what many of us have known for years now, is that the best timeframe to fax your request in is 5-10 days prior to arrival.

The Rooms Manager indicated that these days, making a notation on your reservation is an effective way to submit your request, however you are still welcome to fax your request as well.

As a reminder, loop/site requests are just that - a request, and not a guarantee.  Time of day/week/year can all have a bearing on if the Fort is able to meet your request, keeping in mind that very specific requests (certain loops/sites) are usually going to be more difficult to meet than more general needs (near transportation, comfort station, etc.)

I was just wondering about this for our upcoming trip, I did the online check in and may just let it be at that.  As long as I'm at the Fort, I really don't care:)

I think the fax just reinforces the request and never hurts.

For what it is worth, I called and had Disney note the reservation a loop request and then I faxed in a loop + site request 6 days out.  I received my loop request and even my last pick for the site.  The problem was when I arrived to the site it was occupied.  When I picked out 2 of the open sites near the CS, the front told me that it was being held for a group which turned out to be false.  I was put in a site that I would not have picked but it was in the 1400 loop at least.

I believe that they do everything that they are "willing" to do to get you where you want to be, but like every other system, reservation systems are not fool proof. 

For this last trip of ours, I got so bogged down with Christmas and preparing to travel to FL and visit family before our Fort stay, I totally forgot to send my fax.  I had it all printed out and intended to fax it once we got to Jacksonville, which would have been in that 5 day window, but never did.  I did online check-in and made a notation, plus called the front desk at the Fort the day before our arrival and made a request for 3 sites.  I didn't get any of them but the one we ended up on became a new favorite so it all worked out.

Prior to this time, I have always faxed and it has always worked for me, as recently as this past summer.  Right down to the specific site I asked for.

It just goes to show, it depends on who you talk to or who does or doesn't see your request.

I didn't get any of them but the one we ended up on became a new favorite so it all worked out.

That's happened to us too!  The site we ended up in this year wasn't one we requested, but we've now put it on the list.  :)

It just goes to show, it depends on who you talk to or who does or doesn't see your request.

Very true.  I've also come to the conclusion that it can also be the day you check-in.  We've been doing Friday check-ins the past few years and it seems like it's been harder to get our requests met.  I'm just assuming it has something to do with how insanely busy the weekends have gotten.

We're contemplating whether we should switch to checking in on Sunday.

That's happened to us too!  The site we ended up in this year wasn't one we requested, but we've now put it on the list.  :)

Very true.  I've also come to the conclusion that it can also be the day you check-in.  We've been doing Friday check-ins the past few years and it seems like it's been harder to get our requests met.  I'm just assuming it has something to do with how insanely busy the weekends have gotten.

We're contemplating whether we should switch to checking in on Sunday.

I agree with you Mo, Fridays are hard, Sundays are probably the best, BUT..... it kills me to waste time off and NOT be there already!!!

I agree with you Mo, Fridays are hard, Sundays are probably the best, BUT..... it kills me to waste time off and NOT be there already!!!

I know!  But it may end up working out better for us anyway, as they're giving DH more and more flack about extra days off.  :(

We checked in on a Monday.  Although, it was the Monday of the week between Christmas and New Year's, so hardly a good one to base anything on.  Arrived about 2 pm, site was ready and check in was seamless.

Checkout was another story - mass exodus on a Friday, also the day after New Year's Day, in addition to the influx of folks for the weekend.  Not that we had to stop up front or anything, but traffic was as bad as I have ever seen it there!

It's that dreaded drive past the overflowing check-in lanes, as you are totally bummed about leaving, seeing all those people just arriving and being so tempted to turn around!