BOG "Grey Stuff" -- I asked about it in November and was told the only way to get it now is to buy a cupcake.

Otherwise it's a nice list.

I recently bought a WDW secrets book off the bargain rack at Barnes & Noble.  Although a little out of date, it still has some great info.

In case that original list disappears or changes, #2 is:

2. Of the 3 Presidential Seals in this country, one is located in the Hall of Presidents in Disney World. The other two are in the Oval Office and the hall where the Liberty Bell is housed.

This one is repeated often, for example, here: http://www.southernliving.com/travel/south-east/walt-disney-world-parks-trivia, where they say "Walt Disney World had to obtain approval from the U.S. Congress to place the Great Seal of the United States on the carpet in the Hall of Presidents."

My guess is that it's true. 

TCD

I love to read lists like this to see how many of the alleged "secrets" I already know.

...The best part is the comments.  There's some funny stuff there.

I love these lists too for the same reason. And the comments are great.  I especially like the one where they're duking it out over whether DL or WDW is "the most magical place on earth" and it turns into an argument over which came first, which is better, and (best of all) which is the park Walt really wanted.  :rof2:

This one is brilliant... "I've heard that Disneyland Paris was built before even Disneyland so therefore it would have to be the happiest place on earth. I've never been there but it must be if it was first."

In case that original list disappears or changes, #2 is:

2. Of the 3 Presidential Seals in this country, one is located in the Hall of Presidents in Disney World. The other two are in the Oval Office and the hall where the Liberty Bell is housed.

This one is repeated often, for example, here: http://www.southernliving.com/travel/south-east/walt-disney-world-parks-trivia, where they say "Walt Disney World had to obtain approval from the U.S. Congress to place the Great Seal of the United States on the carpet in the Hall of Presidents."

My guess is that it's true. 

TCD

I've heard/seen that one a bunch over the years in various publications, online and otherwise.

Do you still get the real Grey Stuff for special occasions, like birthdays?

Here are a few more secrets.....

The main feature of Epcot is not actually a golf ball even though many people think it is.

There is an apartment inside Cinderella Castle.

Test Track is not a real test track.

The Magic Kingdom used to have a bakery that sold ooey, gooey, delicious, and warm cinnamon rolls.

Da*n. i should become a Disney site feature writer. I am that good.

Here are a few more secrets.....

The main feature of Epcot is not actually a golf ball even though many people think it is.

There is an apartment inside Cinderella Castle.

Test Track is not a real test track.

The Magic Kingdom used to have a bakery that sold ooey, gooey, delicious, and warm cinnamon rolls.

mind. blown.

Do you still get the real Grey Stuff for special occasions, like birthdays?

Nope. You have to pay for the Grey Stuff, but you do get a free card signed by Belle and The Beast:

The twins' birthday was in May. Twin #1 was in Europe at the time, and Twin #2 was working at Disney. We did have a cake and gifts at home right after Twin #1 returned, but the girls hadn't gotten to go out to dinner to celebrate together. So, I said this could count as their birthday dinner.

So here we go.

One thing new tonight was that they had us carry a candle to the table:

candle_zps1c223ac1.jpg

We got seated in the main ballroom, right next to one of the windows with the snow outside. That's where we always sit at lunch. and exactly where I would have chosen to sit if they had asked:

6814271_zpsc7cc256a.jpg

Attention to detail:

6814272_zps6dbb31f9.jpg

napkin_zpsdec801c7.jpg

Here's something new that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere before- the beer list has been expanded to include six beers:

6814275_zps6dc7e600.jpg

So, we need a new name for the Grande Slam. And a designated driver.

I got the Krounenberg 1664. Twin #1 said that was considered low class in France. Maybe like Old Milwaukee here in the states. So, now I'm getting beer tips from my daughters? I'm officially old.

I knew exactly what I wanted for dinner tonight. I got the seafood in the puff pastry:

6814276_zpsf68f03b7.jpg

Twin #1 got the pork chop:

6814277_zps0ad74274.jpg

And Twin #2 got the steak:

6814278_zps1ea3ec0c.jpg

The food was great.

Since we were celebrating the girls' birthday, we ordered the grey stuff to share. This used to be an entirely different presentation. Now, it's on top of a piece of dried up cake- like a biscotti:

greystuff_zps0bc5ccf0.jpg

The girls got a card from Belle and the Beast:

bogcard_zps77888000.jpg

And we got to meet the Beast too:

beastcharacter_zpsf1505737.jpg

beastgroup_zps237e5dbc.jpg

One last birthday dinner photo:

stainedglass_zpsd4fbb77c.jpg

TCD

If you just tell them it's your birthday but don't actually order it, do they still bring you The Grey Stuff 2.0?

They didn't in May. I made a notation on the reservation that we were celebrating the twins' birthday, and they both wore birthday buttons. They each got a card, but no grey stuff. I had to order it.

On our previous BOG visit, we got the Grey Stuff for free with this presentation:

FantasylandPP222.jpg

They don't give it away for free like this anymore.

TCD

Was the steak good?  I've never wanted to eat at BOG, because I'm more a meats and potato kind of gal and their menu (disclaimer: we've only looked at their lunch menu) did not look too appetizing for me (again, I am simple but picky)... however, that steak looks good :)

They didn't in May. I made a notation on the reservation that we were celebrating the twins' birthday, and they both wore birthday buttons. They each got a card, but no grey stuff. I had to order it.

On our previous BOG visit, we got the Grey Stuff for free with this presentation:

FantasylandPP222.jpg

They don't give it away for free like this anymore.

TCD

That's disappointing - especially considering what they used to give out probably only cost them pennies.

Was the steak good?  I've never wanted to eat at BOG, because I'm more a meats and potato kind of gal and their menu

I haven't had the steak there, but I've had the lamb chops and they were fantastic.

Was the steak good?  I've never wanted to eat at BOG, because I'm more a meats and potato kind of gal and their menu (disclaimer: we've only looked at their lunch menu) did not look too appetizing for me (again, I am simple but picky)... however, that steak looks good :)

Yes, the steak was good.  It was a New York strip.  I think it was in the range of $30, though, and it was not $30 good.  I would put it on the level of an Outback Steakhouse steak.  Perfectly acceptable, but nothing to write home about.

That's disappointing - especially considering what they used to give out probably only cost them pennies.

It's probably lists like the one were talking about that put and end to it.  It probably cost them more than pennies if you think about how guest might not pay for the biscotti version if there was a free version.

TCD

Thoughts on this?

23. Epcot’s American Pavilion is home to an American flag taken from the rubble of 9/11/2001

I wondered about that one too, but it's been a little while since I poked around inside the pavilion.

It was there in 2002 when my wife and I were there. I have looked on every trip since and I have never been able to locate it.

I think it was a temporary display piece and it was hanging just outside the doors of the area where they have the temporary exhibits, which I believe is all the way to the right when you enter.

I have a picture of me standing next to that flag somewhere.

Yes, the steak was good.  It was a New York strip.  I think it was in the range of $30, though, and it was not $30 good.  I would put it on the level of an Outback Steakhouse steak.  Perfectly acceptable, but nothing to write home about.

It's probably lists like the one were talking about that put and end to it.  It probably cost them more than pennies if you think about how guest might not pay for the biscotti version if there was a free version.

TCD

Thanks.  I think we'll continue to say "pass" on this restaurant then.  I'm perfectly happy (as are my husband and children) with the buffet and characters at CP :)