How to Surprise Your Kids with a WDW Vacation

An article from the Disney Parks Blog on surprising your young kids with a WDW vacation.  Kelly shared how she surprised Z recently.  And we saw a great video posted not too long ago from Timsmith7.

Anyone else have a good story to share?

Before all of the excitement of castles and characters at Walt Disney World Resort begins, you get to play the role of your family’s hero by booking the vacation of their dreams. One of the most magical parts of planning is surprising your little ones with news about the trip and seeing their faces light up with pure joy. Since young kids love to make a game out of everything, we thought of a few fun ideas on how to infuse a little pixie-dust when you let them in on the big surprise. Don’t forget to have the camera rolling to capture their reactions!

Have you ever surprised your family with a Walt Disney World Resort vacation? Tell us how!

HTS7053600.jpg

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/01/disneykids-big-surprises-for-little-kids/

We've surprised my daughter twice now. The first time we told her that we were taking Grandma and Grandpa to the airport (we live near BWI and are everyone's hotel/shuttle before and after trips). When we got there, we got our bags out and told her curbside. She was pretty low key.

Maybe you'll be able to see this Facebook video:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10150182207744939&set=vb.782344938&type=3&theater

The second time, we decided to go to Disney with another couple and their daughter (our daughter's "BFF"). My wife made up cards that said "Happy Valentine's Day" on one side, on the other it said, "We Are Going To" and you pulled out a tab that said "Disney". This time there was little girl squeals and crying. Afterwards, we headed outside to wait for our transport to the airport (you've gotta love Groupon).

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10150599260089939&set=vb.782344938&type=3&theater

My daughter says she doesn't know if she likes being surprised or knowing it is coming. She likes being part of the planning - at least from giving ideas of things that she would like to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I stated planning my kid's Disney trip the moment they were born. Ten years later, we felt they were old enough to ride everything and remember it. Living a thousand miles away from the Fort limits how many times we can go or it would have been sooner.

We didn't tell them until the day we left. Woke them up at 5 AM with a Mickey shirt wrapped up with a ribbon and it took them a few seconds to figure it out after they opened them. My youngest screamed and my oldest fell on the floor. Awesome. 

ependydad, my kids aren't sure if they want to be surprised or not too. Planning can be half the fun. Well, that's an exaggeration but it is fun. I'm doing it right now and I don't have dates yet.

We surprised our daughter last year. She turned 7, so we had 7 clues for her and a present with each clue (yeah... it was a spoiled year :) ).  The theme for her birthday was Little Mermaid, so all of her gifts were Ariel and they all (coincidentally) were things that she could use a the Fort (Little Mermaid swimsuit, bathing suit cover, flip fops, sunglasses..etc).  The final clue read like this:  Roses are red, violets are blue...the 7th clue, is on the calendar for you.  On the calendar I had written in big letters "Birthday trip to Disney!"   Needless to say... she was super excited :)   Just wish we had captured it all on video  :rolleyes:   

Oh BTW... we gave her the gifts/clues late on Friday and we left for Disney (after her birthday party) on Saturday.... I was a packing Fiend :)

We surprised our daughter last year. She turned 7, so we had 7 clues for her and a present with each clue (yeah... it was a spoiled year :) ).  The theme for her birthday was Little Mermaid, so all of her gifts were Ariel and they all (coincidentally) were things that she could use a the Fort (Little Mermaid swimsuit, bathing suit cover, flip fops, sunglasses..etc).  The final clue read like this:  Roses are red, violets are blue...the 7th clue, is on the calendar for you.  On the calendar I had written in big letters "Birthday trip to Disney!"   Needless to say... she was super excited :)   Just wish we had captured it all on video  :rolleyes:   

Oh BTW... we gave her the gifts/clues late on Friday and we left for Disney (after her birthday party) on Saturday.... I was a packing Fiend :)

Super cute!

When my twins were almost 3 and my older son was 5 we took them to WDW for the first time without telling ahead of time. We just said we were going on a vacation and they didn't really care or ask where. They twins probably were too young to know anyway but older son's best friend had been and talked about it and we'd talked about going some day. We stayed overnight on the way and then just as we were approaching the WDW sign I was so excited and I asked older son if he wanted to go to WDW.  And he answered "maybe some day, but not today." Surprise was on me. But once we arrived at All Star Movies they all were very excited.

The next time we went was over 4 years later. We just couldn't afford to go in the between years, which I really regret now because it was when they were the perfect ages. But we just couldn't afford it. That year I put notes in their Easter baskets that said "instead of toys for Easter this year, we are going to Disney World during Spring Break. Love, Mom and Dad."  Very little excitement, especially from one twin. Eventually they got excited and when I asked why they weren't excited at first one twin said "We thought you meant just you and Dad were going and we would have to stay home."  Wow, What kind of parent do they think I am?

On all other trips since then I've just told them during the planning stages. 

Drew was in on our trip planning, but the girls had no idea.  We told them we were going to check out a new campground we had heard about.  I was able to sneak the packed suitcases into the back of the van.  They had never been to Florida so, had no idea where we were.  Even when they started seeing signs for Disney World still had no clue. Jessica at one point said, " I want to go to Disney World someday." Steve told her we were lost and he was trying to figure out how to get back on the Interstate.  Checked in at the Fort and went to our Cabin.  They had no clue we were actually at Disney World and thought we were just going to stay for the night and head home the next day.   I finally told them the truth.  They were happy of course.