Staying in site 1501: a sort-of trip report

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dim sum looks good. How was it?

To be honest, I wasn't that crazy about it. But not because it was nasty. My mom was Japanese and made all of that stuff when I was growing up (the steam buns, gyoza, siu mai), so I went in expecting it to taste just like her recipes. It didn't taste the same as hers, so it threw me off a bit. I think Kenneth liked it okay, though. :) If I hadn't grown up eating that pretty often, I think I would have had a different opinion.

Wow... looks like you did get to see lots of animals on the safari!  Nice :)

The sun looks amazing... I hope we get to see more of that soon!  I'm tired of winter  <_<

I was just looking at the weather forecast at home. Next weekend is gonna be tough....down in the 20s (I know the folks up north can only wish for those kind of temps).

This morning, we're having breakfast at the Wave, at the Contemporary resort.

Inside the restaurant:

A4BDA548-31A4-4FDA-A625-4DDFE6C01A95.jpg

Butter, cream cheese, and jelly:

C32EA102-0F96-4B13-8E19-AD85B791316E.jpg

Pastries:

DA1C385E-931C-4E08-A70F-03E65E50D0A7.jpg

Yogurt and fruit:

5FCC5BA7-793F-4EE7-AD02-413113900578.jpg

Toppings for yogurt:

8264A4DC-16EF-4162-B086-0B2754C25D32.jpg

More fruit:

9D8D915E-3524-4E29-8B1D-45F091D7DA1A.jpg

Smoked salmon and some other stuff (think there were onions, capers, and I don't know what else):

59957787-150E-4719-887E-A0E61BA38714.jpg

Cereal:

9F7B11FA-D09F-4CA3-BBAA-C7BD2C553187.jpg

Hash browns, cherry cobbler, sweet potato pancakes, and Mickey waffles:

9132773B-C447-4A96-86F3-368B9F46A2FC.jpg

Eggs Benedict, sausage, bacon, and the best cheesy grits I've ever had:

DD189B81-83BD-43CC-B6DD-9B195ED5FB00.jpg

Biscuits, sausage gravy, scrambled eggs, and frittata:

8A3A5869-0F68-423F-9300-693F8D83D2DF.jpg

Why did you choose the Wave for breakfast?

All of those items (except the sweet potato pancakes and cherry cobbler) are offered at the Trail's End breakfast buffet.

TCD

We've always enjoyed this buffet. If not ordering from the buffet, I'm ordering the sweet potato pancakes. The cheese grits are the richest I've had. To be honest, the biggest draw for me is the grits and sweet potato pancakes. :)

At Hollywood Studios. Rode rock n roller coaster:

AA8EFEAB-0459-4AE9-9A3A-1F95F3601F81.jpg

And tower of terror:

B3716A02-3998-4297-973D-F3113C706110.jpg

3603F186-0EEE-4BE7-BC81-717F49EC6C8C.jpg

Beauty and the beast show (first time I've ever done this):

DE24F648-F137-4337-8827-10C7F02635F7.jpg

Looked at what's left of the hat:

EE694F95-639E-4CD3-9BF3-41F4B76F1EF0.jpg

Also did Star Tours and now we're waiting on the Frozen sing-along to start. Haven't ever seen this but have only heard good things about it!

Afterwards we will go see the pups. Trying to decide if we want to take them to the Fort to play in that dog park.

My children want to know if there are large drops on RR? They love the flips and corkscrews but do not like big drops. lol

I was talking to Kenneth about this and we don't recall any big drops. It's fast and has the turns and flips, but I think they're safe on the big drops. :)

Looks like a lot of fun!!!

It is. We're having a great time. But we leave tomorrow. :(

The sun looks amazing... I hope we get to see more of that soon!  I'm tired of winter  <_<

Me too, Nacole!

Sherryberry, thanks for the Wave breakfast pictures.  I'd always wondered if it was very different from TE.

No problem! It's probably mostly the same food. I think their Mickey waffles are multigrain (not sure about Trail's End) and those sweet potato pancakes are awesome. Don't remember the grits at Trail's End either, but the Wave puts cheese and bacon in theirs, and it's rich (maybe made with some cream?).

My children want to know if there are large drops on RR? They love the flips and corkscrews but do not like big drops. lol

I agree with sherryberry- it was fast and good turns, but no major dips that I recall. I'll report back in a couple of weeks!

Have a great time!

So....Kelly - you're a genius! After I saw your pictures of the food you had at Territory Lounge, I knew I had to go! This is our last night, so we headed over there. I'm so glad you reported about that place and posted the food pictures! It was awesome!

Before heading over, we broke down camp a bit. This will help us out tremendously in the morning since we have to get loaded up and get the pups checked out of Best Friends.

Here we are with no gazebo and chairs and we took the garage attachment off of the tent.

132B03A2-F20D-4A15-9418-F81AAE7F7052.jpg

After working on that a while, we jumped on a bus and headed to the Wilderness Lodge. Here's the grub.

Pulled pork nachos:

2DC8A8CE-EDF0-475B-AD91-B5AA0E2C7D27.jpg

Crispy chicken wings

A3C625F5-6873-4AA7-853E-10BEA00D7F10.jpg

Pinot Grigio fondue:

7EC62217-361D-4CBA-A79B-87F3200E28A5.jpg

Excellent meal and they take Tables in Wonderland! Great way to end this vacation!

Sorry if you' answered this already, but what brand/model is your tent? 

And the food looks yummy- taking TIW is a bonus! We're definitely going to try there. There is a hidden mickey in the ceiling there. My daughter laid on the floor to find it. :D

The tent is a Kingdom 8, from REI. Kind of pricey, but well worth it! We also have a garage attachment for it (that's why it's so long!).

I didn't know about the hidden Mickey. I probably could have gotten a few more beers in Kenneth to get him in the floor to find it! ;)

So....Kelly - you're a genius! After I saw your pictures of the food you had at Territory Lounge, I knew I had to go! This is our last night, so we headed over there. I'm so glad you reported about that place and posted the food pictures! It was awesome! 

After working on that a while, we jumped on a bus and headed to the Wilderness Lodge. Here's the grub.

Pulled pork nachos:

2DC8A8CE-EDF0-475B-AD91-B5AA0E2C7D27.jpg

Crispy chicken wings

A3C625F5-6873-4AA7-853E-10BEA00D7F10.jpg

Pinot Grigio fondue:

7EC62217-361D-4CBA-A79B-87F3200E28A5.jpg

Excellent meal and they take Tables in Wonderland! Great way to end this vacation!

Okay... you and Kelly have convinced us to try Territory Lounge next trip... the food looks great!! :)

Hope you all had an AWESOME trip and a very safe/smooth trip home :)

You can't really compare TE breakfast to the wave. Wave has sweet potato in their pancakes, whole grain in their waffles, cinnamon in their butter, key lime in their hollandaise, egg whites in their frittata, feta in their scramble, muesli in their....uh...muesli, brioche in their French toast, steel cut in their oats, chicken in their sausage. You get the picture. Two totally different dining experiences.

We made it home! The pups ran into the house and immediately grabbed their favorite toys and threw them at our feet. We unloaded most of the truck and will have to finish in the morning (well, I will.....Kenneth goes back to work in the morning).

It took us a little bit longer than we originally thought to get packed up and on the road. We were thinking we could head out by about 9:30, but it was almost 11:00 when we got out of there. I guess we don't really think about how much work it is to play Tetris, trying to get stuff in the truck!

All I can say is.....I miss the Fort and it's good to be home! We had a great week and hope to do it again next year (possibly February - we love camping in cooler weather)!