Animation Academy at Hollywood Studios

Anyone done this?  I can honestly say I didn't even know it was there.  (shame on me)

posted on Walt Disney World for Grown Ups...

Animation Academy

POSTED: Fri, 03/11/2011 - 12:00 | POSTED BY: Bradley Johnson

Disney World's Animation Academy is a fun -- and free (with admission) -- activity that just about everyone will have fun with. Guests are treated to a hands-on character drawing lesson taught by a Disney animator, and because the character you learn to draw is different every time, you can keep going back several times over before it gets boring.

You can find the academy in Disney's Hollywood Studios in the back of Animation Courtyard and at Disney Quest in Downtown Disney.

decor.jpg

Steps To Mickey

An academy begins every half hour or so, so if you've missed the last one, just wait for the next to open. It's actually probably best if you get there a bit early; the academy fills up fast! Here's a photo walk-through of the class!

Here are the desks guests get to sit at...

academy_desks.jpg

Animation Academy Mickey Drafting Desks

The drafting boards light up so that you can see through your paper as you draw.

starting_out.jpg

Starting Out

Guests watch a large screen at the front, which shows the animator's work on her drafting table. She'll walk you through, step by step, each line that needs to be drawn.

first_lines.jpg

First Lines for Buzz Lightyear

next_step.jpg

Next Steps

coming_to_the_end.jpg

Almost Done

Here's my finished drawing! I'm pretty proud! Though I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it again...!

my_version.jpg

My Finished Version

All that's left to do is sign your autograph to the bottom and get in line for the next academy!

This is a really great, low-cost way to relax (in the air conditioning) and have fun at the same time.

http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/articles/animation-academy

Hubby and I did it Dec 2007. We loved it. Our character was Pluto. Hubby's was spot on, mine not so much. Mine ended up looking like a hungover Goofey. Copies are at work in my cubicle.  ;)

My parents joined us later during our trip. My mother decided she was an Arrtttist and took over the kid's crayons and paper on the Concorse of the Contemporary during an adult beverage break. Ended up being a competition between her and me. Scared two older women into judging. She won, but that's because she wouldn't share the damn crayons. Moms always cheat! She kept the pics, framed them. Included a blue ribbon for first place on hers and gave them to me as Christmas gifts that year.  ;)

It's part of the Magic of Disney Animation attraction at HS and is also at Disney Quest.

When they discontinued the animation studio at HS, they needed something to replace it.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/hollywood-studios/attractions/magic-of-disney-animation

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/destinations/downtown-disney/entertainment/disney-quest-indoor-interactive-theme-park