Last week my wife booked us 4 nights Monday thru Friday in March at a partial site for my granddaughters spring break.

We put the deposit down which came to almost $90.

After some discussions, we turned in the reservation last night.

Now don't get me wrong, we love the Fort, but looking at a close to $360 stay, we didn't feel like it was worth it at this time.

We decided to do some day trips to different places (museums, beach), probably stay at my daughters place out past the airport for a few days, and just drive to the parks for day trips.

I guess it boiled down to how we wanted to spend our $$, since we are planning on a 2 week road trip to NY during the summer to visit relatives.

I think it's great that some people can spend 2 months at the Fort, or make 5 or 6 week long stays during the year, but that is not within our budget.

We did keep our Halloween reservations and are looking forward to that trip.

I really feel like the Fort is getting to be a little overpriced (I know,you get extras and the Disney Magic) and a lot of private campgrounds are getting almost as much per night.

I guess the owners feel that if you can afford a $150K ++ setup, a $100 a night fee is just pocket change.

And this is just an observation/statement on my part.  It isn't meant to be derogatory to anyone.

I understand completely.  The AAA discount made extra trips possible for us last year; now that that is gone...there is no way we can squeeze more than one it (last year we overdid with several trips but if it was more affordable, we would do at least 2 if not 3).

But... as others will say, as long as they keep filling up... they will keep charging the high prices.

When we booked out Spring trip this year I about choked it was over $1000.00 for 8 nights, site only.  We looked around at several other campgrounds in the area, but ended up biting the bullet this year.  The only good thing is we also booked 8 nights the end of November into the first week of December and it was significantly cheaper.  I am thinking about looking for a permanent site in the area and buy a site in an effort to try to control costs some.

Plus we are looking forward to meeting some other fiends.

I enjoyed this post from a few days ago. I agree about the pricing and did in fact submit an email as the post suggested and received their standard response email, stating they would take my suggestions "under advisement".

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/14815-email-wdw-about-fort-wilderness-discounts/?hl=%2Bvalue+%2Bresort#entry428946

My biggest issue with paying for the Fort is that we're Thousand Trails members. While the TT Orlando park in Clermont isn't on property and it's a whole different feel - at the end of the day, paying $400 for 50 nights of camping (there and other places). I stayed for 5 weeks in Orlando last year for $15 more than what 1 night at FW cost ($135 vs. $120).

But, it's on property and it's Disney and we enjoy that aspect of it. I just don't know how often we'll be back.

I agree with everything said on this thread.  My upcoming stay at the fort during the marathon weekend has me paying $135 a night for a full hook up site and the DW insists on a Golf Cart.  I will have to reevaluate any more trips.  We used to be at the fort between 4- and 6 weeks out of the year but I don't intend to return until Halloween 2015.  After that I might sell the MH.  I don't know what I will do with all the extra cash.  If I sell the brick and motar house then maybe we can stay at the fort full time.  

My biggest issue with paying for the Fort is that we're Thousand Trails members. While the TT Orlando park in Clermont isn't on property and it's a whole different feel - at the end of the day, paying $400 for 50 nights of camping (there and other places). I stayed for 5 weeks in Orlando last year for $15 more than what 1 night at FW cost ($135 vs. $120).

But, it's on property and it's Disney and we enjoy that aspect of it. I just don't know how often we'll be back.

Are you happy with your TT membership?  I've heard only so-so things about their campgrounds over the last few years.  I think I remember reading it's because it is no longer a members only type of place so members have a problem getting sites (general public fills them up) and the campgrounds are starting to look run down... ??

Are you happy with your TT membership?  I've heard only so-so things about their campgrounds over the last few years.  I think I remember reading it's because it is no longer a members only type of place so members have a problem getting sites (general public fills them up) and the campgrounds are starting to look run down... ??

They aren't great, but I'm generally easy to please. They are definitely RV parks vs. campgrounds with privacy between sites and sometimes being cozy with your neighbors.

My membership is an old gifted one, so I can make reservations at 90-days out vs. friends of ours are 45-days. But I haven't heard them talk about not getting reservations (on the east coast, at least).

Improvements-wise, is say they could all use some work. The Orlando or Hershey ones are the nicest that I've been to. But I've never been at one where I absolutely couldn't stay. (I did have to share my neighbor's water spigot one week!)

The price is hard to turn down for me. We camped 100 nights last year and a large number were at TT parks. It makes traveling affordable for my family.

We used to go to the Fort for a long weekend at the drop of a hat (and we have a 600+ mile drive).

We no longer do that. As a matter of fact, we usually stay offsite on hotel points for long weekends. (Even those hat drops are getting farther apart)

We will still do our 2+ week trip at Halloween when possible and bite the bullet on price because it is truly a vacation. There is nothing like it, and I refuse to give it up.

It is pretty bad though, when you can't get a CAMPSITE within government per diem rate.

I'm down here now for an extended work trip. I would LOVE to camp while I work, but the prices are too high, AND the 45 miles one way also deters me. Unfortunately there is nothing on this side of Orlando that I'd be willing to camp at either.

They aren't great, but I'm generally easy to please. They are definitely RV parks vs. campgrounds with privacy between sites and sometimes being cozy with your neighbors. My membership is an old gifted one, so I can make reservations at 90-days out vs. friends of ours are 45-days. But I haven't heard them talk about not getting reservations (on the east coast, at least). Improvements-wise, is say they could all use some work. The Orlando or Hershey ones are the nicest that I've been to. But I've never been at one where I absolutely couldn't stay. (I did have to share my neighbor's water spigot one week!) The price is hard to turn down for me. We camped 100 nights last year and a large number were at TT parks. It makes traveling affordable for my family.

Thanks for the feedback...

We just cancelled our trip to the Fort for the end of March.  With our APs Disney is running an "Late Winter" sale for APs and we got a reservation at the Caribbean Beach with a King Bed and we are saving over $500.00 when you add in gas and golf cart rental.  I regret not being at the Fort to meet other fiends but this was just to good a deal to pass up.  We still have a FW reservation for the week after Thanksgiving so hopefully we can catch up with a fellow fiends then.

So I guess this would qualify as a "First we were but now we're not". 

We just cancelled our trip to the Fort for the end of March.  With our APs Disney is running an "Late Winter" sale for APs and we got a reservation at the Caribbean Beach with a King Bed and we are saving over $500.00 when you add in gas and golf cart rental.  I regret not being at the Fort to meet other fiends but this was just to good a deal to pass up.  We still have a FW reservation for the week after Thanksgiving so hopefully we can catch up with a fellow fiends then.

So I guess this would qualify as a "First we were but now we're not".

Good deal!

Did they notify you, or were you searching?

More playing then searching.  No one contacted us.  I constantly am checking or looking at different web sites to see what is out there.  Probably more just to get a little Disney fix when I'm not there.  But it was still a tough call.  We have been going to the FT for years and this is kind of taking us out of our comfort zone.  We have never stayed at the CB before, so this will be interesting.

More playing then searching.  No one contacted us.  I constantly am checking or looking at different web sites to see what is out there.  Probably more just to get a little Disney fix when I'm not there.  But it was still a tough call.  We have been going to the FT for years and this is kind of taking us out of our comfort zone.  We have never stayed at the CB before, so this will be interesting.

Well you are still on property and saving money, so how bad can it be? :P