Newbie questions need expert answers

I've done a lot of research but need some expert assistance to the following questions:

Trip Dates:  May 8-16

Loop Reservation:  Preferred (this is best for our situation and plans)

Rig:  35ish' 5th wheel, 1 slide out - pulled by truck

Us:  Me, DH, DS8 - no traveling pets

Plan:  Arrive 7PMish Fri, Rest/Explore Sat, AK Sun, MK Mon, EP Tue, Rest Wed, MK Thu & Fri, Leave 5AMish Sat

If there are links to any of my questions, please add them.  I can read them so you don't have to retype.

1.  I've used the FF app, GE, YouTube vids and whatever other info I could find to narrow down which sites we would like to request.  I've narrowed it down to 108, 114, 116, 122 & 123.  All outer loop sites with middle hookups.  I plan to request that we don't get put in Loop 300 as DS is on the autism spectrum and afraid of dogs (working on making sure he knows they will be around).

What are your pros and cons on these choices?  I'm concerned about 114 & 116 being next to the walkways (high traffic at park closing/noise/nosy peepers).  What order would you put them in for priority pick in your fax request?  I do understand it is just a request.  Any favorites in Loop 200?  Hoping to get 100, but will have backup requests in hand if needed.

2.  I have read that the boat from FW to MK does not run until 30 min prior to scheduled park opening and that doesn't include AM EMH.  We use AM EMH as much as possible and RD all parks.  What is the best strategy to get to MK and EP on AM EMH days?  If what I’ve read in past posts, one of our options is to boat over to WL then boat over to MK.  How early does the boat from WL go to MK?  I have us leaving FW to WL at 6:30am for an 8:05 ADR at MK on my spreadsheet.  Too early, too late, just right?

3.  Help me sell DH on driving to AK.  “If it doesn’t save us at least 30 minutes, what’s the point?”  Consider AM EMH getting out of FW, traffic, parking and walking to park in your argument. Go…

4  Really confused about wifi?  Does FW get it or not?  Alternatives?  We have AT&T and I used 4D more than wifi in the parks last year without any big issues.  Stick to that plan?

5.  Finances are dictating no golf cart.  With 3 MK days and 1 EP, we won’t need one all week.  How long is the walk from Loop 100 to the Meadow Pool?  If we somehow hit the lottery before our trip, is it difficult to rent a cart for just a day, without a reservation?  I’m thinking by our middle-of-the-week rest day, I’m going to get to say “I told you so.”

6.  Tell me about mosquitoes at the Fort.  I know the parks are well maintained and I didn’t have any trouble with them last year.  However, I’m the one in the group of 10,000 that that one sucker finds and bites.  My perfume of choice is Ode de OFF.  Can’t seem to find if we are allowed to have citronella candles or torches on the campsite. Yes or no?  They don’t do me much good, but work for DH and DS.

7.  How crowded is the Fort in early May?  Just want to get a feel so I can work with DS on what to expect as far as other kids running around, stranger danger and the such.  I know our park days are in the 4 & 5s and he dealt well with 9 & 10s last year, so yea for lower park crowds.  Also he has a tendency to cross the road without looking first, so I need to keep traffic in mind.

8.  Late Friday arrival.  Hoping for 7PM. but could be later.  What should we know to expect upon arrival?

I think that covers my questions for now.  I’m sure I’ll have more, but these were the ones that were bugging me.  Thanks for your input!!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am not sure anyone else has mentioned this - FW is not strict about pets only being on pet loops.  You might want to note that on your site request.  part of the problem, I think, is people who don'

Yes there are folks that think the rules don't apply to them, but these days when it comes to pets in what have previously not been designated as "pet loops" it's just as likely that Disney put them t

Just my thoughts.  I'm sure others will chime in soon, and some will agree and others will disagree with me.  Some of your questions just depend on personal preference

1.  It's been so long since we stayed in 100 that I can't help you.  But our moho is 42' and we wouldn't try to park it in 100.  Road is narrow, and the entire loop is just too tight.

2.  I thought MK boat runs 30 minutes before EMH too.  I could be wrong.  An alternative would be to take the Contemporary boat (starts running from the Fort at 6:45 and either walk or take monorail to MK.

3.  We don't drive to the parks.  

4.  FW has wi-fi but only at Pioneer Hall/Settlement area and at the Meadow Trading Post.  Depending on where you are in 100, you might be able to pick up a signal.

5.  Walk from Loop 100 to the Pool is too long for me.  Not sure I'd want to walk it with a child on the autism spectrum.  You'd encounter people, animals (including dogs), lots of traffic noise.  You can always use the internal bus.

6.  I'm one of those people that mosquitoes love too.  But in recent years we've been visiting in cooler temps and they haven't been a problem.  Not sure about May.

7.  I'll let you know the first of May!

8.  I'd save money and arrive early the next morning.  We overnight in St. Augustine at the Flying J, leave there around 4:30 am, and arrive at the Fort by 6:30 am.  We avoid rush hours on I-4 that way, and we've been on a site as early as 8:30 am.

And ask away!

I've done a lot of research but need some expert assistance to the following questions:

Trip Dates:  May 8-16

Loop Reservation:  Preferred (this is best for our situation and plans)

Rig:  35ish' 5th wheel, 1 slide out - pulled by truck

Us:  Me, DH, DS8 - no traveling pets

Plan:  Arrive 7PMish Fri, Rest/Explore Sat, AK Sun, MK Mon, EP Tue, Rest Wed, MK Thu & Fri, Leave 5AMish Sat

If there are links to any of my questions, please add them.  I can read them so you don't have to retype.

1.  I've used the FF app, GE, YouTube vids and whatever other info I could find to narrow down which sites we would like to request.  I've narrowed it down to 108, 114, 116, 122 & 123.  All outer loop sites with middle hookups.  I plan to request that we don't get put in Loop 300 as DS is on the autism spectrum and afraid of dogs (working on making sure he knows they will be around).

What are your pros and cons on these choices?  I'm concerned about 114 & 116 being next to the walkways (high traffic at park closing/noise/nosy peepers).  What order would you put them in for priority pick in your fax request?  I do understand it is just a request.  Any favorites in Loop 200?  Hoping to get 100, but will have backup requests in hand if needed.

I would emphasize the length of your unit and say something like, "We would like to be on the outer 100 loop in a site with middle hook-ups that can accommodate our 35 foot 5th wheel. Since our son is on the autism spectrum and afraid of dogs, we'd like to avoid the 300 loop. Some specific sites that will work for us are 108, 114, 116, 122, and 123."

That way if one of your requested sites isn't available, you will still get what you want. How big of a deal is the middle hook-ups? We've never looked at where the hook-ups are and have never had a problem. BTW, check out site 124 in my TR. It was pretty sweet and sounds perfect for you. 

2.  I have read that the boat from FW to MK does not run until 30 min prior to scheduled park opening and that doesn't include AM EMH.  We use AM EMH as much as possible and RD all parks.  What is the best strategy to get to MK and EP on AM EMH days?  If what I’ve read in past posts, one of our options is to boat over to WL then boat over to MK.  How early does the boat from WL go to MK?  I have us leaving FW to WL at 6:30am for an 8:05 ADR at MK on my spreadsheet.  Too early, too late, just right?

To get there by that time, you'll want to take the resort boat to the Contemporary and walk to the MK from the Contemporary. There are some threads here with a marked map, but basically you walk inside the CR go up, exit, and walk in the direction of the MK. 

3.  Help me sell DH on driving to AK.  “If it doesn’t save us at least 30 minutes, what’s the point?”  Consider AM EMH getting out of FW, traffic, parking and walking to park in your argument. Go…

We've done both. I don't have a super strong feeling either way. I feel more comfortable driving for RD usually because we're in control. You'll park close, so won't need the tram.  

4  Really confused about wifi?  Does FW get it or not?  Alternatives?  We have AT&T and I used 4D more than wifi in the parks last year without any big issues.  Stick to that plan?

Sites don't have wifi. You can sometimes pick it up from the cabins or other places if you're near there. You can check out a wired modem. We never do. 

5.  Finances are dictating no golf cart.  With 3 MK days and 1 EP, we won’t need one all week.  How long is the walk from Loop 100 to the Meadow Pool?  If we somehow hit the lottery before our trip, is it difficult to rent a cart for just a day, without a reservation?  I’m thinking by our middle-of-the-week rest day, I’m going to get to say “I told you so.”

I've never rented a cart from Disney, so I'm not sure. Can you bring bikes? 

6.  Tell me about mosquitoes at the Fort.  I know the parks are well maintained and I didn’t have any trouble with them last year.  However, I’m the one in the group of 10,000 that that one sucker finds and bites.  My perfume of choice is Ode de OFF.  Can’t seem to find if we are allowed to have citronella candles or torches on the campsite. Yes or no?  They don’t do me much good, but work for DH and DS.

I believe open flames are a no-no. I've never had problems with mosquitoes, but we do bring spray in case. 

7.  How crowded is the Fort in early May?  Just want to get a feel so I can work with DS on what to expect as far as other kids running around, stranger danger and the such.  I know our park days are in the 4 & 5s and he dealt well with 9 & 10s last year, so yea for lower park crowds.  Also he has a tendency to cross the road without looking first, so I need to keep traffic in mind.

The Fort will probably be full, especially on weekends. 

8.  Late Friday arrival.  Hoping for 7PM. but could be later.  What should we know to expect upon arrival?

Do online check-in. That will speed things up a bit. 

I think that covers my questions for now.  I’m sure I’ll have more, but these were the ones that were bugging me.  Thanks for your input!!!

1.  Rather than requesting specific sites, I have used the advice I read here and told them what i am looking for.  If you want a site on the outside of the loop that doesn't back the road, put that.  

2.  We took the Epcot bus from FW, leaving our site about 90 minutes before rope drop.  This got us to Epcot in time to be at the front of the line at the turnstiles.  For MK, we took the resort boat to the Contemporary and walked to MK.  Again, we allowed 90 minutes so we would be near the front of the line at rope drop.

3.  I try very hard never to drive at WDW.  It is my vacation.  I would rather take the WDW transportation.

4. To get Wifi at our site, we brought our Wifi adaptor (?) from home.  When we arrived, we got the cable internet box and wires from the Meadows Trading Post.  My son then hooked it up to our Wifi adaptor and that worked great our whole trip.  Note:  Keep track of all the pieces you get from the Trading Post.  You must return every piece or you will be charged.

5.  I have taken 2 family trips to FW and never had a golf cart.  We happily take the internal buses if we need to get somewhere.  I know many people use bikes and are happy. :D

6.  I was at FW last September/October and had no trouble with mosquitos.  

7.  Not sure, but if he is not safe near roads, be sure to mention that you want a site away from main roads in your site request.

8.  Our first trip, we arrived close to dusk and setting up was a bit nerve racking.  Our second trip, we left much earlier (4am) to be sure to get to the campground with plenty of daylight left.  If you can't leave earlier, I would take Gwen's suggestion and overnight somewhere on the way.  

Welcome!   :welcome2:

1.  Rather than requesting specific sites, I have used the advice I read here and told them what i am looking for.  If you want a site on the outside of the loop that doesn't back the road, put that. 

Great advice.

One more thought on #7... even when the Fort isn't crazybusy, there is still a fair bit of traffic about on the main roads - bikes, golf carts, buses and occasional cars. Weekends usually get much busier, which tends to mean more GC/bike traffic through the loops as well as main roads, and not everyone is always paying attention, so good to be cautious.  :(

#4  All sites have cable TV connections that double as wired internet.

You go to the meadow trading post and sign out a cable modem if they are available.  It comes in a bag with cables, instructions on how to hook it up to a pc and TV, and a parts list.  If you want Wi-Fi you need to provide your own wireless router/switch.  You usually can't use the one that your internet provider gives you more than likely since it's probably a cable modem already. Look for an inexpensive Wi-Fi router/switch on craigslist, pawn shop, etc.  Then you hook that to the Disney cable modem and you are all set to go.

#6 Mosquitoes and biting flies are around most of the year.  Usually they are not bad, but like you said some people are bug magnets.  We have had luck with those Off? fans you wear on your belt, plus lotion. Make sure you don't wear sweet scents.  We have used citronella candles on the picnic tables and haven't gotten in trouble.  I've seen those torches at other sites, don't know if they have gotten warnings, but then again I've seen 5 foot high bonfire flames (which is a big no no) and no one has been told to douse them!  Just depends what CM sees you.

It looks like all of your questions have been answered.

The only correction I see is that the walking distance from the back of the 100 loop to the pool is more like .7 miles, rather than .5.

It's a very pleasant walk, with sidewalks the whole way.  Or, you can grab a bus from the Settlement bus stop and ride to the 1400 loop entrance (second stop on the Yellow Route).

TCD

I would emphasize the length of your unit and say something like, "We would like to be on the outer 100 loop in a site with middle hook-ups that can accommodate our 35 foot 5th wheel. Since our son is on the autism spectrum and afraid of dogs, we'd like to avoid the 300 loop. Some specific sites that will work for us are 108, 114, 116, 122, and 123."

That way if one of your requested sites isn't available, you will still get what you want. How big of a deal is the middle hook-ups? We've never looked at where the hook-ups are and have never had a problem. BTW, check out site 124 in my TR. It was pretty sweet and sounds perfect for you. 

That's great wording.  I'll probably steal it.  Thanks!

5.  Walk from Loop 100 to the Pool is too long for me.  Not sure I'd want to walk it with a child on the autism spectrum.  You'd encounter people, animals (including dogs), lots of traffic noise.  You can always use the internal bus.

6.  I'm one of those people that mosquitoes love too.  But in recent years we've been visiting in cooler temps and they haven't been a problem.  Not sure about May.

8.  I'd save money and arrive early the next morning.  We overnight in St. Augustine at the Flying J, leave there around 4:30 am, and arrive at the Fort by 6:30 am.  We avoid rush hours on I-4 that way, and we've been on a site as early as 8:30 am.

5. That's great info.  I'll be showing this to DH.  Maybe I can talk him into reserving a cart just for the day so I can stop worrying about it.

6. Darn bugs! 

8. Not an option.  We are doing DDP and there is no way I'm going back and readjusting ADRs for the one's we would lose by dropping a night.  Figuring all that out was a nightmare in the first place.  Can't do the day before either due to vaca days at work.  We'll just have to deal with whatever comes up with late arrival.  I'd leave at 3AM, but I'm not driving, so its not my decision.

Thanks for all the feedback.  Going to share this with DH and see if he has any more specifics to ask.

Hmmm......... what dining plan are you doing? Have you used something like http://www.distripplanner.com to see if it's saving you money? You might be able to find your cart money by paying for food out of pocket. 

My thoughts exactly.

Hmmm......... what dining plan are you doing? Have you used something like http://www.distripplanner.com to see if it's saving you money? You might be able to find your cart money by paying for food out of pocket. 

The regular one that gets you a TS, CS and snack a day.  I did the math and its a toss up on whether we will break even.  We wanted the ease of not having to worry about it.  When I said "Finances dictate no golf cart", I should have been more clear  (my bad :faceplant2:).  I will not pay DW prices for one for a whole week.  I checked out Tee Time (is that right?) and although he is much cheaper, we have 3 MK and 1 EP day that we won't need the cart for transpo to bus stops/food/pool, so it would be a waste of money.  Hypocritical of our reason to use DDP, but I can see the golf cart just sitting there, whereas, I can't say if DH is going to order the T-bone or the turkey sandwich or if DS will eat at all, even though he eats like a linebacker at home.  Does that make sense?

The only correction I see is that the walking distance from the back of the 100 loop to the pool is more like .7 miles, rather than .5.

It's a very pleasant walk, with sidewalks the whole way.  Or, you can grab a bus from the Settlement bus stop and ride to the 1400 loop entrance (second stop on the Yellow Route).

TCD

That's great info about the internal bus to add to my binder.  Thank you!

TCD

Isn't the 1500 bus stop closer to the path to the pool?

I was going to do the whole numbered list answer thing but I have baby brain, so here's what I've got:

Mosquitoes love me and the only time I've only had an issue is July. I stayed in the screen room when outside. May is okay I think.

We are walkers. I walk from everywhere to everywhere. You can get anywhere in 15-20 min walk. Most likely more like 10. 100 to meadows is a nice walk. Go up the middle. You will know what that means when you look at the map.

Late arrival is a non issue. We've gotten there at 1 am. They will welcome you and you set up in the dark. Less wiggle room on "I don't like this site, I want that one"

Crowds and your son....that's a case by case. Sometimes our neighbors have kids that think its acceptable to come on over and play in the morning while their parents sleep. (I have no words). Sometimes there are dogs. It's luck of the draw. Not a "how busy" issue. Unfortunately. Traffic is usually pretty slow in the loop. So if he crosses without looking in the loop he will be okay. I don't let my 8 year old anywhere near the main roads without my hand. The buses are CLOSE.

Everything makes more sense when you get there. It's my most favorite place to be! Have fun!

I am not sure anyone else has mentioned this - FW is not strict about pets only being on pet loops.  You might want to note that on your site request.  part of the problem, I think, is people who don't mention their pets when checking in.

I really don't know how big of a deal the middle hook ups are.  We are fairly new to RVing and have only done local sites.  Hookups are DH's job and my assignment was to find sites that had middles.  I do know out W/S are in the middle of the rig and the electric is in the back.  He said it would be easier to run the electric than the W/S.  I dunno...

Saw your pics on your TR. 124 is HUGE!!!  If the other 100 sites are about the same, we have no issues.  Your TR said you got a boat in about 2 minutes to MK.  That is awesome.  Hope we have that kind of pixie dust.

Decided to bus it to AK.

Don't forget about off site Golf Cart rentals. There is no way I would pay Disney prices for the GC, but the offsite rentals (Kenny's) makes it more manageable.

Won't need one the whole week, so going offsite wouldn't save us any money.

DH is "thinking" about making a reservation for the golf cart on our rest day.  He was happy to hear the internal buses would be useful for getting to the pool, but also conceded that a DS meltdown, could make having that cart handy.

Does anybody know how hard/easy it is to get one the day of without a reservation?  Or if we do reserve if there is a cancellation or no show fee?

I am not sure anyone else has mentioned this - FW is not strict about pets only being on pet loops.  You might want to note that on your site request.  part of the problem, I think, is people who don't mention their pets when checking in.

This could be a major issue.  I'm requesting a non pet loop for the safety of my child.  When I say safety, I don't mean because a dog would attack him, but because I don't know how he may react.  I know how he reacts at home, but this isn't home and there are so many things (in my head) that could happen.  Again, we are working on this at home, with neighbor/family dogs, but these will be strange dogs in a strange place.

So, what can I do about it?  Will reporting them get them moved.  Will I be expected to move?  This could become very unmagical if it happens, and it IS something I need to be prepared for.

Does anybody know how hard/easy it is to get one the day of without a reservation?  Or if we do reserve if there is a cancellation or no show fee?

My experience is that it's pretty easy to get a cart without a reservation, except during certain holidays (4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas/NYE).  They take a credit card number to hold your reservation, but do not charge it.  I believe you can cancel without penalty right up to the day of the rental.  You should call the Bike Barn and ask.  It would be helpful to others if you post what you're told.  Not many of the long time Fiends rent from them anymore.

TCD

This could be a major issue.  I'm requesting a non pet loop for the safety of my child.  When I say safety, I don't mean because a dog would attack him, but because I don't know how he may react.  I know how he reacts at home, but this isn't home and there are so many things (in my head) that could happen.  Again, we are working on this at home, with neighbor/family dogs, but these will be strange dogs in a strange place.

So, what can I do about it?  Will reporting them get them moved.  Will I be expected to move?  This could become very unmagical if it happens, and it IS something I need to be prepared for.

For the past couple of years there is no such thing as a non pet loop at the Fort.

When you say you requested a non pet loop, how did you do that?  There is no such designation on the Fort's website or in the on-line check-in options.

If there are pets in the 100 loop, it's safer to assume that the Fort management knows that and let those guests in with a pet rather than assume that they snuck the pet in.

Complaining would not do you any good.

I've camped in the 100 loop three times in the last twelve months. There were dogs staying with campers in that loop each time.

TCD

I said I'm requesting, not that I requested. I planned to request not to be in 300 due to it being the pet loop via fax when the time comes.

Although the DW site doesn't designate any loop specifics, just about every other website I did my research through (there were a lot) said that Loop 300 was the preferred pet loop. It was my assumption and obviously my mistake, that the other loops didn't allow pets. I guess we will have to deal with it.

I said I'm requesting, not that I requested. I planned to request not to be in 300 due to it being the pet loop via fax when the time comes.

Although the DW site doesn't designate any loop specifics, just about every other website I did my research through (there were a lot) said that Loop 300 was the preferred pet loop. It was my assumption and obviously my mistake, that the other loops didn't allow pets. I guess we will have to deal with it.

You will still have a great time! You said you've camped other places, so it's very similar pet-wise to other campgrounds. 

At one point in time (I think) they used to have designated pet loops.  You could camp in them without pets but you were warned that you would be in with a bunch of Fidos and Rovers.  But if you had a pet you couldn't camp in a non pet loop.

Somehow these rules got blurry/bent and now anything goes.

I don't mind pets, had many myself over the years, but I don't want to listen to your dog bark all day long while you are at the parks, just like I don't want to hear a crying baby in a movie theater.