J&D Campground/Knoebels/Elysburg, PA.

Continuing this hijack... What do you think of PA Dutch? I asked about it on the "good/bad/ugly Thousand Trails" Facebook group and it got a lot of thumbs down- especially saying it is not big rig friendly. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it's true, it is tight we drove thru last year but no worse then places we have been this year. I check in on a Sunday so hope that helps, will let you know. I mean after the 800 loop this year I think I can get the rig in almost anywhere.

Continuing this hijack... What do you think of PA Dutch? I asked about it on the "good/bad/ugly Thousand Trails" Facebook group and it got a lot of thumbs down- especially saying it is not big rig friendly. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it's true, it is tight we drove thru last year but no worse then places we have been this year. I check in on a Sunday so hope that helps, will let you know. I mean after the 800 loop this year I think I can get the rig in almost anywhere.

There aren't many campgrounds that scare me EXCEPT Pine Grove Furnace State Park in Gardeners, PA. It's my lifelong/childhood love and I'm too chicken-snot to take my camper there. :(

Sea Pines in NJ has a couple of real right turns. I got partially hung up with a post and a tree one day there. Made it out without damage, so I'm still calling it a win.

With these first come, first serve TT places, I like to drop the camper in the parking lot and drive around without it. We started that at the Williamsburg Outdoor World at their recommendation (good thing too- there were some turns we would have gotten stuck at).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There aren't many campgrounds that scare me EXCEPT Pine Grove Furnace State Park in Gardeners, PA. It's my lifelong/childhood love and I'm too chicken-snot to take my camper there. :( Sea Pines in NJ has a couple of real right turns. I got partially hung up with a post and a tree one day there. Made it out without damage, so I'm still calling it a win. With these first come, first serve TT places, I like to drop the camper in the parking lot and drive around without it. We started that at the Williamsburg Outdoor World at their recommendation (good thing too- there were some turns we would have gotten stuck at). Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes sometimes we park and walk to find a site now we can unload the smart and do that. Sea Pines is another tight park but planning ahead when you know the park really helps. We head to Timothy Lake south in Oct. if you have some time, but with kids and school that might be hard.

A friend sent me a link to this YouTube video yesterday.  It gives new meaning to tight turns. They don't say where this happened but I think I recognize it as a road in Custer State Park in SD.  

http://youtu.be/icXipapYSmg  

Rennie……yes still have your #.  Will text if I go to Hershey!

That video….oh my.  I can't even imagine.  Our trip this past weekend had us on some roads I would rather not have towed the camper on.  We went back a different way than we came.  Which reminds me, I need to search FF for tips on apps to use when planning out an RV friendly route to travel.  Or I am afraid we may wind up in a similar situation this poor fellow did!

I am going to try to get to J&D after everyone's thumbs up reviews.  We wound up at a place called Silver Valley in Saylorsburg/Poconos.  Beautiful area, close to a lot of stuff to do.  CG itself was just OK.  Not the worst, but dated and had one or two permanent dwellers whose sites were kind of junky.  I'd go back, but it's not at the top of my list.  We went whitewater rafting but no parks.  Enjoyed the cooler mountain temps and views!

• 5 months later...

To push this back onto topic, here is a look at our little camper at Knoebels this past September:

DSC_6471-XL.jpg

We squeezed right onto the end of the Pan Handle, for those that know the campground.  I love the place, we go at least once a year, and of all the amusement parks I have visited this is in my top three (Dollywood and Busch Gardens Williamsburg are the other two).  I will have to check out JD, driven past it plenty of times.  Knoebels, I feel, is getting expensive for what you get, though it is convenient and feels like home to me.

Looking at maybe visiting in July :)

To push this back onto topic, here is a look at our little camper at Knoebels this past September:

DSC_6471-XL.jpg

We squeezed right onto the end of the Pan Handle, for those that know the campground.  I love the place, we go at least once a year, and of all the amusement parks I have visited this is in my top three (Dollywood and Busch Gardens Williamsburg are the other two).  I will have to check out JD, driven past it plenty of times.  Knoebels, I feel, is getting expensive for what you get, though it is convenient and feels like home to me.

Looking at maybe visiting in July :)

You should try to plan a trip there for Covered Bridge Festival in Oct. it is really packed but usually some open sites, we go every year. Last year I had to send Dick Knoebel a picture of our truck & Smart Car set up he was veryinpressed with it.

We always stay at Lake Glory now along the stream. Same prices, but a lot more room and nicer with sewer and water. We usually go up in September and hit Knoebels on Saturday and the Bloomsburg Fair on Sunday. Here is a picture of my brother's pop up and our hybrid, and no the VW didn't pull the pop up, my wife came up later after the girls got out of school.

IMG_0912.jpg

Norm, Lake Glory is real nice also plus a lot more peaceful, we would get a site near the lake plus I think that's where most of the full hook up sites are. With the craft fair in Oct. it's a lot easier for us to camp where the wife can get there without me. She can walk down and the men folk stay at the camper to make sure the beer stays cold!!!!!!

Looks like a couple of the vehicles in that video have California tags so my guess is out west somewhere.  

I know there are a lot of roads like that in east Tennessee.  I get tired driving a car through there. No way I would try with even a pop up let alone that beast. Signs on the road are there for a reason READ them.    

You should try to plan a trip there for Covered Bridge Festival in Oct. it is really packed but usually some open sites, we go every year. Last year I had to send Dick Knoebel a picture of our truck & Smart Car set up he was veryinpressed with it.

Saw Dick on Saturday, great guy, though he is starting to turn things over to his boys.  He let his boys talk about the new roller coaster while he sat back and worked on a crossword puzzle.

Have done the Covered Bridge Festival many times, it just gets bigger each year.  They have an enthusiast event (Phoenix Phall Phunfest) on the Saturday night of the festival that is one of the favorites.

A friend sent me a link to this YouTube video yesterday.  It gives new meaning to tight turns. They don't say where this happened but I think I recognize it as a road in Custer State Park in SD.  

http://youtu.be/icXipapYSmg  

Holy Moly!! 

Saw Dick on Saturday, great guy, though he is starting to turn things over to his boys.  He let his boys talk about the new roller coaster while he sat back and worked on a crossword puzzle.

Have done the Covered Bridge Festival many times, it just gets bigger each year.  They have an enthusiast event (Phoenix Phall Phunfest) on the Saturday night of the festival that is one of the favorites.

Yes Brian & Rick are really good guys, they have some big shoes to fill for sure, looking forward to the new coaster!!!!!!

Covered Bridge is getting HUGE plus the ACE event there helps also, always get a kick out of their Halloween parade that night.

• 2 weeks later...

J&D is mine and my wife's favorite campground.  We love the view of the mountain on the other side of northern drive.  We like how generally quiet it is and the staff is mosly friendly and helpful.  They even rescued us a few years ago when an  unforecasted storm came through at 5:30 am and broke the awning in half and tore some of the siding off of our travel trailer.  We couldn't get out though the doors.  We are even thinking about purchasing a seasonal site there as it's only about 100 miles north of us.

BhAll, where are from? We have a group going to Old Mill Stream over Easter come join the mayhem

Gettysburg, PA

Is that at Dutch Wonderland?

Oh, and I really like going to Knoebels when these guys show up

http://youtu.be/QeAICaXcYRA

Guess the drummer is in a hurry to get out of there :)

Gettysburg, PA

Is that at Dutch Wonderland?

Actually we used to do Granite Hill in Gettysburg but this year at Old Mill Stream next to Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster, a short drive for you.