Best time to go - October / November

We are planning our first Disney Trip, and have narrowed the time frame down to either last week of October / First week of November, or the First two weeks in November (2 adults, 4 kids under 4).  In both cases, we would be arriving on a Sunday.  We see that in the first week of November, Disney does the switch from Halloween lighting to Christmas.  What do you think of this plan?  Are there other times in October / November you would reccomend, or suggest we avoid?

Second question, I see references on her to booking campsites at FW, and paying only a one night deposit - how do you do that?  On the main Disney site, it seems to want us to pay everything up front.

Third question - we have 'earned' our Disney 7 day tickets through an air miles program, so we are not purchasing them together.  We would like to get the memory maker option - how do you do that if you don't buy the tickets through the Disney website?

For the answer to your second two questions, I strongly suggest getting a travel agent.  Jason with Mouse Counselors is amazing!!  You can find his contact information here: http://www.fortfiends.net/_/misc/support-our-site-sponsors-r259

As far as when to go, i would include Halloween if you can.  There is a huge Fiends gathering, plus trick or treating at the Fort around the camping loops, a golf cart parade/decorating contest.  Many people decorate their sites for the holiday.  It is very fun.

We generally like all of October up through the first 2 weeks of November.  Weather tends to be warm, but not too hot, crowds tend to be a bit lower - with the exception of Epcot on the weekends because of Food & Wine Festival.  We like seeing the switchover from Halloween to Christmas but also love Halloween at the Fort, so personally I'd go with the 2 weeks in Oct/Nov plan.

However one heads up with that plan - Halloween at the Fort books up waaaaaaaay in advance.  If you're looking for this year, you may have a difficult time getting those dates.  If you're looking for next year, book as soon as you can.

You need to book room only in order to pay just the one night deposit up front, vs a package where the payment/cancellation terms are different.  You can do that on the website. The default will be that the park tickets are added in as you go through the process, but you can remove them if you don't need them.  Alternate option if you get stuck is what Marty said - let a TA do the work for you.  :)

I am going to go contrary to what others are saying and suggest you arrive in early November AFTER Halloween.  Seeing that you have 4 kids under 4, I'm thinking Halloween at the Fort may be way too chaotic for you to fully enjoy it while corralling 4 young children who may be a bit too young to fully enjoy it anyways.  With toddlers and preschoolers I tend to want to pick the quietest, least chaotic times.  Life is probably chaotic enough.  Early November is a wonderful time to visit both the Fort and the parks. 

Dave does make a good point. Since this is your first trip, and with the little ones, AND Halloween is on a weekend this year, the high levels of people at the Fort and the party atmosphere, might spoil your impressions of how wonderful the Fort truly is.

We stayed at The Fort the week before Halloween. Overall the weather was good but we did have a couple of days we needed to use the AC in the trailer. This year we are going the third week in November (11/15).

In answer to your question about one night deposit compared to being fully prepaid. My understanding is if you are buying a ticket package along with your  reservation you will need to prepay by the date set on your reservation. If your reservation is only for The Fort all that is required is one night's deposit. We are not planning on going to the parks this year so only have a one night deposit which we made through Jason who is one of the sites sponsors. If we change our mind later on I figure we can always get online and make the purchase. 

I wonder if we wait till we are at The Fort and use that as our mailing address would I be able to get the Florida Resident discount.  :smug:

Dave does make a good point. Since this is your first trip, and with the little ones, AND Halloween is on a weekend this year, the high levels of people at the Fort and the party atmosphere, might spoil your impressions of how wonderful the Fort truly is.

It is a good point if you want to avoid the weekend chaos. 

If you do still want to see both Halloween and Christmas, you could consider coming in on Sunday Nov 1.  Much of the weekend Halloween crowd will be leaving, and since the last Halloween party at MK is that night, you can hop over and see the decorations during the day, and possibly the next day before they start the switchover to Christmas.