RUMOR: Innoventions West to Close?

Need some new fun ideas for "Future World" that won't be passé in 5 years? 

2 words...

Dr. Who  :drwho-smiley:

Yeah, yeah, I know... a bit of a stretch and not a Disney franchise. I'm just making the point that there are still plenty of WAY-future thinking ideas that aren't necessarily out of the question for Future World.

Besides, if we're talking science fiction vs fantasy, I don't think it needs to be one or the other.  It's WDW, plenty of fantasy to go around.  And who knows what will be achievable in 10 or 20 years?  I'm sure plenty of people didn't believe "communicators" and this thing we call the interwebz would ever be real things back in the 60s and 70s. 

Why not dream a little?   Especially in the theme park.

I'm all for Dr. Who. Base a ride on the Tardis and the destinations are endless.

As far as the interwebz the basic protocols that make it up were well under way and in use by the late 60's, early 70's. When I first started getting involved in  the early 80's the ARPANET became more or less what we know as the internet today. During this same period in the 80's what became known as the World Wide Web was being designed and came into being. The first ISP's started showing up mid to late 80's. So while it's total size explosion and commercialization was not really foreseen we did expect the internet to become quite large and interconnect large numbers of computers. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right, and the original spirit was to evoke a World's Fair, like the 1964 fair in NYC that Walt contributed so much to.  Only American society is too shallow, dumbed down and self-centered for anythin

BINGO!!   I feel the same way.  I grew up with the space program also (didn't become an engineer), and was excited to watch the launches on TV.  They even rolled TVs into classrooms so you could watch

Double Bingo!!       My school projects were on Apollo and the Moon Landings. My heroes were the Astronauts, and as I learned more, the Engineers behind them. It was an amazing time and I am so grate

Here's another... self driving cars. That's one mass transit idea that is still in its infancy... it'd be nice to see a live demo (google car or somesuch).

Here's another... augmented/virtual reality system...

there's plenty of options that would work...

Or show an alternate universe where DW is still affordable, it's not crowded, people treat each other decently, FrozenMania hasn't taken over everything Disney, and they still have Cinnamon Rolls in the old Main Street bakery.

Talk about Science Fantasy!

You know what they ought to do? Over at the Innoventions in Disneyland in January we got to see a Honda Asimo in action. Why not put that in Epcot? :huh:

Here's another... self driving cars. That's one mass transit idea that is still in its infancy... it'd be nice to see a live demo (google car or somesuch).

Here's another... augmented/virtual reality system...

there's plenty of options that would work...

See?  There you go!  That would be some cool stuff right there.

those low employees made a living wage where they could purchase a house and raise a family.

How is someone worth a salary of $50 to 100 million dollars a year?

Well you could do that today if you the same house as people did in the 50's & 60's.

The average home has almost doubled in size since the 50's & 60's. A person can still find an affordable 2 bdrm 1 bath 1175sq ft home. (The average home our parents had)

The problem is most people don't want to live as our parents did. They want more and they want it NOW!

How is someone worth $50-$100 a year?

If they make the company $100-$200 million dollars a year. That's how. Look at a professional basketball player. He gets paid $25 million a year. You don't think he's making more than that for the greedy owners? Just like a CEO of a company. If he or she isn't making money for the stock holders they're gone.

And let's not forget those greedy stock holders. They want to make money too.

And that most peoples retirement savings is in the stock market. In one way or another.

I think I want the best man or women money can buy running the company that my hard earned retirement money is invested in.

Well you could do that today if you the same house as people did in the 50's & 60's.

The average home has almost doubled in size since the 50's & 60's. A person can still find an affordable 2 bdrm 1 bath 1175sq ft home. (The average home our parents had)

The problem is most people don't want to live as our parents did. They want more and they want it NOW!

How is someone worth $50-$100 a year?

If they make the company $100-$200 million dollars a year. That's how. Look at a professional basketball player. He gets paid $25 million a year. You don't think he's making more than that for the greedy owners? Just like a CEO of a company. If he or she isn't making money for the stock holders they're gone.

And let's not forget those greedy stock holders. They want to make money too.

And that most peoples retirement savings is in the stock market. In one way or another.

I think I want the best man or women money can buy running the company that my hard earned retirement money is invested in.

But time and again it has been shown the highest paid CEO's typically under perform and are not the best person for the job.

But time and again it has been shown the highest paid CEO's typically under perform and are not the best person for the job.

I have to respectfully disagree with your statement. Sure you here about one or two CEOs that didn't get the job done. But do you really think that these companies that make millions of dollars each year are stupid enough to pay CEOs more than they're worth? Think of the thousands of companies that are out there. I bet I can name more highly paid successful CEOs that made a ton of money for the stock holders (you and me) then I can name that were over paid and lost money.

I agree that there are some decent CEOs out there that know what they are doing, but what are they really doing?

They may have ideas, some good, some terrible, but they have all of their yes men and women to make them come to fruition.

The lowly people on the front lines are what makes or breaks a company, doing all the dirty work and heavy labor. Making a profit for the head honchos and stockholders.

We have glorified corporate raiders that swoop in, buy up a company, dismantle it, and pocket the proceeds while not giving a darn about the workers and communities they are affecting.

Company leaders used to care about their employees and their communities but all that changed in the 60's, and usually for the worse.

And yes, my retirement is partially tied to the stock market, and when Wall Street greed took over and the "non-recession" hit, it took a beating and it hasn't recovered, and I don't have another 20 years to let it grow like some of you younger Fiends.

I should've retired a couple of years ago, but at this point I have to stick it out for at least 4 or 5 more years.

I agree that there are some decent CEOs out there that know what they are doing, but what are they really doing?

They may have ideas, some good, some terrible, but they have all of their yes men and women to make them come to fruition.

The lowly people on the front lines are what makes or breaks a company, doing all the dirty work and heavy labor. Making a profit for the head honchos and stockholders.

We have glorified corporate raiders that swoop in, buy up a company, dismantle it, and pocket the proceeds while not giving a darn about the workers and communities they are affecting.

Company leaders used to care about their employees and their communities but all that changed in the 60's, and usually for the worse.

And yes, my retirement is partially tied to the stock market, and when Wall Street greed took over and the "non-recession" hit, it took a beating and it hasn't recovered, and I don't have another 20 years to let it grow like some of you younger Fiends.

I should've retired a couple of years ago, but at this point I have to stick it out for at least 4 or 5 more years.

Can't we get the conversation back to something much more important, like how Elsa is so much better than Anna? Or how Anna kidnapped Olaf from Elsa? Or how great it would be to turn Spaceship Earth into a giant Olaf, with the geodesic sphere serving as Olaf's lower third? That would be bad ass. It could be animated and Olaf would welcome you to Epcot! They could speed up those cars in Spaceship Earth and turn it into a big sleigh ride!

Can't we get the conversation back to something much more important, like how Elsa is so much better than Anna? Or how Anna kidnapped Olaf from Elsa? Or how great it would be to turn Spaceship Earth into a giant Olaf, with the geodesic sphere serving as Olaf's lower third? That would be bad ass. It could be animated and Olaf would welcome you to Epcot! They could speed up those cars in Spaceship Earth and turn it into a big sleigh ride!

Or how about the whole thing becomes a giant snow globe and the "ride" is that they shake the bejinkies out of you?

I like the way you think.

They could have daily wrestling matches downstairs where the ride ends with Merida beating the snot out of Elsa.  And spaceship Aerendale could be surrounded by hundreds of inflatable Olafs with all their fans humming together.  Then once an hour they could kill the power and tell the kids he's melting.

I like the way you think.

They could have daily wrestling matches downstairs where the ride ends with Merida beating the snot out of Elsa.  And spaceship Aerendale could be surrounded by hundreds of inflatable Olafs with all their fans humming together.  Then once an hour they could kill the power and tell the kids he's melting.

You seem to forget -- Elsa is an elegant queen who doesn't have to fight her own battles. All she has to do is whip up an army of those evil snowmen and your dumb CGI character is smashed.

Marshmallow_(Frozen).png