Sitting here waiting to get another set of new tires on my 2013 Ram 1500. Not happy considering I just did this 6 months ago. So why am I buying new tires already? Well when I bought them 6 months ago, they were the highest load rated tire I could find in my size and the local tire shop ensured me that they were truck tires. I should have known better when the tire said p instead of lt on them. Regardless, I got about 8000 miles on them and the sidewalls are shot from towing the TT. Best part is the company I bought them from closed so I have no recourse (since they gave me the these are truck tires guarantee in writing).

To get a lt tire for my truck, I have to change the tire size which requires a recalibration of the speedometer because the tire is slightly bigger.

This has turned out to be a rather expensive day for me with the alignment and transmission service I had done.

If you were not aware of tire types on half tons, learn from my mistake. You can get both passenger and light truck tires on a stock 20 inch rim on the ram. Only problem is the lt tires are slightly taller and the truck moves faster than the speedo says it is going.

Frustrating.

Ouch! I was able to get some E rated tires in same size for mine at a great deal. Michelin, cheaper than the Bridgestone, Cooper brands.

I don't need the extra load rating beyond LT, but the extra thick sidewalls "feel better" in strong wind conditions and cornering.

Had the same problems with the 2011 GMC Sierra and even had blow outs.  Whoever optioned the truck is an idiot, they put the heavy duty towing suspension on it, but blew that all to hell by putting 20" ghetto rims on it which reduced the payload by a couple of hundred pounds.  My costly solution was buying a 2015 2500 HD.

I have 2014 dodge whith 20 s what size did you put on and also what kind. I tow a lot with mine but I only tow 1000 miles a year at most

Ended up putting Michelin Ltx m/s 2 tires on. Size is lt275/65r20. The extra height requires a recalibration of the speedo. Dealer is doing that this afternoon. I have no rubbing on anything but they do fill the wheel wells quite a bit.

Ended up putting Michelin Ltx m/s 2 tires on. Size is lt275/65r20. The extra height requires a recalibration of the speedo. Dealer is doing that this afternoon. I have no rubbing on anything but they do fill the wheel wells quite a bit.

Did you get the tires from the dealer? GM says they won't unless bought from them which is BS. So I will be firing of a couple letters.

Did you get the tires from the dealer? GM says they won't unless bought from them which is BS. So I will be firing of a couple letters.

Dealer was not able to get the "mopar" version as it was discontinued. When he printed off the details, it was the michelin ltx's I put on there. They said if I got them somewhere else they would recalibrate the pinion which took care of the speedo, traction control, modified transmission shift points, and something else I can't remember.

I ended up getting the tires from discount tire. They were $311.99 a piece mounted and balanced with disposal of the old tires.

My dealer charged $85 to recalibrate the pinion. Took about 45 minutes and everything was back to normal after the recalibration.

• 3 weeks later...

Figured I would ask here to keep information in a common thread.

I am starting to get serious about getting an F-150 later this year and the only tire option they list for 18" rims is a, you guessed it, P265/60R18 tire. Looking around online the only LT rated tires I find are All Terrain. The rest are either P265 or 265 rated tires. My other options are 17" and 20" rims with 245/70R17 or 275/55R20 tires. While the 17" seems to have more LT tires available it would also require me to drop an options package I want with no way to replace it. I'm concerned about 20" tire prices when the time comes to replace them.

Any ideas on what my best option might be?

Figured I would ask here to keep information in a common thread.

I am starting to get serious about getting an F-150 later this year and the only tire option they list for 18" rims is a, you guessed it, P265/60R18 tire. Looking around online the only LT rated tires I find are All Terrain. The rest are either P265 or 265 rated tires. My other options are 17" and 20" rims with 245/70R17 or 275/55R20 tires. While the 17" seems to have more LT tires available it would also require me to drop an options package I want with no way to replace it. I'm concerned about 20" tire prices when the time comes to replace them.

Any ideas on what my best option might be?

Are you sure you have the right tire size? I just ran through most of the options on Ford's site to custom order a F150 and the tire size on every option for the 18 shows 275/65R18. If the size is 275/65R18, then you have these options:

Per Tirerack.com for LT275/65R18:

Continental Contitrac

Dunlop Rover H/T

Firestone Transforce HT

General Grabber HTS (What I yanked off of mine but I had the P and not LT version)

Michelin LTX M/S2 (What I put on and these have been really good so far)

Yokohama Geolandar H/T G056

If you have the right size in your post, if you keep the last 2 numbers the same, you should be ok with everything. It is when that 2nd number changes (increased tire diameter) where you start having issues. Keep in mind though, you may have handling issues if you change your tires to be wider or narrower (first number). If you do go up or down on the second number, they may be able to recalibrate the pinion like they did on my ram and it will line up all the systems that rely on the proper tire size (traction control, abs, speedo, transmission shift points, etc).

Hope that helps some.

Are you sure you have the right tire size? I just ran through most of the options on Ford's site to custom order a F150 and the tire size on every option for the 18 shows 275/65R18. If the size is 275/65R18, then you have these options:

Per Tirerack.com for LT275/65R18:

Continental Contitrac

Dunlop Rover H/T

Firestone Transforce HT

General Grabber HTS (What I yanked off of mine but I had the P and not LT version)

Michelin LTX M/S2 (What I put on and these have been really good so far)

Yokohama Geolandar H/T G056

If you have the right size in your post, if you keep the last 2 numbers the same, you should be ok with everything. It is when that 2nd number changes (increased tire diameter) where you start having issues. Keep in mind though, you may have handling issues if you change your tires to be wider or narrower (first number). If you do go up or down on the second number, they may be able to recalibrate the pinion like they did on my ram and it will line up all the systems that rely on the proper tire size (traction control, abs, speedo, transmission shift points, etc).

Hope that helps some.

On the XLT extended cab the only choices the build your own tool gave me were those I listed. Trying a different model I still get the same tire choices. The problem is with the 60 aspect ratio which is the number that affects size. Where specifically are you looking? 

Did the build option for both an xlt and lariat, extended cab, eco boost, max tow, 3.55 and 3.73 rear end, and 18 tire size on a 2015 f150. The size of available tires to choose from only shows a 275/65r18. Unless I am missing something I can't find the option anywhere for the 265/60r18. Also checked with discount tire and tire rack and for a 2015, they only show the 275/65r18 size for an 18 inch rim.

What was the specific packages you chose or wanted. Wondering of that is where I am missing something.

XLT 4X2 extended cab, 3.5L Ecoboost, option 301A, max tow, extended range tank, spray on bed liner and 40/40 seats with console. Only tires I get are the P265/60R18 and the option to use the 17" or 20" listed above. Same result with the Lariat. I wonder if it might be the difference in our locations, cached data in my browser or the main one I use? Trying some different stuff to see.

I just got done chatting with Ford based on your reply and they say they do offer a LT275/65R18C but is an AT tire. I've had AT's on past 4X4's and just want a plain old all season tire for the truck. Might have to make the dealer swap out the AT's for all seasons if they want the sale. 

Gotcha. The ones I listed above were all season for options for that size. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

Thanks for the pointer. It gives me something to work from when talking with the dealer.

NP. I was able to go back and check with your options and did get the smaller tires you found. Lord knows why ford does that.

On a side note, it looks like the 20" and 18" tires are about the same price from a few different dealers. I would prefer the 18s for towing but if you want the 20s, I wouldn't sweat the replacement cost of tires since it was about the same from what I was seeing.

Good luck with you new truck.

Thanks for the pointer. It gives me something to work from when talking with the dealer.

Cooper makes a 275/70 18 LT in a Discover AT-3 that has a load range of 3640. That is what I switched to.  Also as a follow-up after a couple letters my dealer called and said they made a mistake and could re-calibrate the speedo and guess what, they covered the $125 fee GM charges for the re-calibration software and putting all into GM's system so it follows the truck.  

My speedo and GPS are now dead on each other.   :D

I had a 2005 f150 with the same 18 inch wheels. I towed our first 5th wheel with it for a short time, and I had LT BFG All terrains on it and it towed really well and was quiet on the highway. Only complaint would be the f150 Is pretty light for lt tires and it was a rough ride empty with towing pressure in the tires.

My preference is 18" rims. I don't understand why the 4X2 doesn't come with the option for LT tires other than PGH's comment about a rough ride. I grew up around pickup trucks that drove and rode like trucks (I learned to drive on a three on the tree, 60's Ford on my great grandfather's farm when I was 11). I don't expect a pickup to feel like a luxury car but I'm sure I'm not the typical customer. To be honest I could get by with passenger tires for a while as light as our trailer is (~3000 lbs loaded with tongue weight coming in around 350). I just don't want to have to deal with the tire size change of going to an LT275/65R18 so hope I can get the dealer or Ford to do it as part of the sale. 

• 3 weeks later...