Years ago on a older suburban I put a larger diameter cat back exhaust system, 3 or 4" not sure which, upgraded to a K&N air filter and also put coil over shocks on the keep it from sagging some when we put the camper on the hitch. Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

Rennie that helps some. I am looking more towards changing gearing and drive train upgrades to take the towing capacity to about 8,000lbs. Current set up with the GVRW for the burban is about 11,000. Fully loaded that takea my tow rating to about 3,700 lbs. Even the 233s i am looking at weighs more than that.

I had the 308 rear with the 350 motor 1/2 ton and we towed a 30' Shasta travel trailer no slide it did ok but would not go with anything larger until we got a 3/4 ton with the 455, that one  did great but would not pass a gas station.

I have a 2013 Yukon XL with tow package, I have a 3.42 rear and I tow a Jayco X23F. It tows that no problems. If you just go to the 3.42 and add cooling package, you should be in the same place I am. Factory was 3.42 and max towing was 7900 for 4WD and 8100 for 2WD for 2009.

Best Regards,

Norm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never owned let alone towed with a Suburban but would look into the possible need for additional transmission and engine oil cooling if it doesn't have any type of factory tow package (I would likely do it even if it does).

Many years ago we towed our TT with a 1986 Suburban.  3:73 rear end.  It had a factory tow package, but we added the additional transmission and engine oil cooling.

It made many trips to the Fort.

In 1996 we sold it in order to buy an F-350 dually so we could carry the golf cart in the bed.

We recently ran into the guy who purchased the Suburban.  He said it's still going strong, and he continues to tow his TT with it.  A good Suburban is indestructible.

All of you, thanks for the feed back!!! Hope to meet you at the Campground soon!!!

We camp at the Thousand Trails near Matthews Va. is that close at all to you? Not sure yet the next time we will head down there.

• 2 months later...

Thank you all for the help! This what I am doing; 3.42 gears and pinion change, Detroit Truetrac differential, and CoilRite air bag spring helpers. Changing the gears alone will up my rating to about 8900 lbs, it has a factory tow package. Thanks again.