It's just 2 of us on this trip- my wife and I. This morning, we had breakfast at Kona Cafe and then later had dinner at the Yachtsman. Both bills had 18% gratuity added. We also overheard another upset customer over it.

When did Disney start adding gratuity to all table service meals?

(On edit- Jason figured it out; it is our new Tables In Wonderland card.)

It's just 2 of us on this trip- my wife and I. This morning, we had breakfast at Kona Cafe and then later had dinner at the Yachtsman. Both bills had 18% gratuity added. We also overheard another upset customer over it. When did Disney start adding gratuity to all table service meals?

Thats new. They didnt do it last month. 

Tip was also added at the spa for my wife's pedicure- but that could be normal. She hasn't done that here before.

The sad part is- the waitress gets shorter 2% because automatic gratuities annoy me. I am normally a solid 20% on the whole after tax bill. When it's added for me, they do 18% before tax.

Tip was also added at the spa for my wife's pedicure- but that could be normal. She hasn't done that here before. The sad part is- the waitress gets shorter 2% because automatic gratuities annoy me. I am normally a solid 20% on the whole after tax bill. When it's added for me, they do 18% before tax.

I typically do the same. I've always thought it is short sighted management that adds fixed gratuities to meals.

Technically the servers are making out more. When using a discount on dining, Disney adds an automatic 18% gratuity based off the original check amount. So the tip is based off the pre discount total.

Confused?

If I use TiW do they charge 18% grat. pre tax or post tax?

They calculate the tip amount based off the pre discount amount, tax included. Then they discount the bill and add that tip onto the amount.

The reason I said they make out better is because most people apply tip based off the total of what they pay. Not everyone uses pre discount to calculate the tip. So most of the time the servers make out.

And if you still want to be generous, there's a spot marked "additional tip amount" where you can add on the extra 2%.

Thanks Dave.

So if my bill with tax is $100 they would add. a 18% grat. Then my bill is reduced to $80 + $18=$98.

Being in the restaurant business for most of my life I can tell you that most people will tip on the discounted amount ($80, or $16). So yes servers would make $2 extra.

Just curious but is there an option to reduce the tip? If you get bad service?

Also do you know if the restaurant tip share?

I've never looked to see if you can reduce the tip amount. I'm sure you could. I know you can add more if you wanted.

I've actually forgone the discount to give a lesser tip before. That was for very poor service.

I do not believe Disney tip shares. Just the servers are tipped positions.

If a discount is applied the tip becomes part of the bill. So no, you cannot separate the two. It's one total.