Rumor: New Roadways Around WDW?

From WDWMagic...

New permit filings suggest the possibility of new roadways coming to Walt Disney World
5 hours ago in "Disney's Hollywood Studios"

A couple of new permits have been filed with the South Florida water Management District that suggest Disney is exploring the possibility of adding new roadways to several key areas of Walt Disney World.

The plans are not yet for actual roads, but are permits to allow the exploration of ground conditions for potential future road building. Thanks to @danlb_2000 on the forums for spotting this one.

The first is a new road that would link Disney's Hollywood Studios to Victory Way, the road that serves the massive Art of Animation and Pop Century resorts.

In some of the possible redesigns of the Studios park, the roadways have been reconfigured with a main entrance off World Drive, a bus only entrance along Buena Vista Drive across from the Boardwalk, and a new exit road leading to Victory Way.

The second plan is for a possible roadway running from the northern side of property near Reams Road to Floridan Way, near to the Grand Floridian Resort.

This appears likely to relate to the project to bring a new access from the north of property, a route commonly used by Cast Members and guests who live on the rapidly expanding northern side of Walt Disney World. You can read more about this project here.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/disneys-hollywood-studios/news/30jun2015-photos---new-permit-filings-suggest-the-possibility-of-new-roadways-coming-to-walt-disney-world.htm

The second road mentioned is already under construction. Though it's not going to be an entrance to the property so to speak. It is more for the residents and cast who live in the area. It's major point is to bypass the area where the fireworks are set off. Currently, every night the road is blocked off approx an hour before up to an hour after wishes. With increased traffic on this road, it becomes more of a concern. It will also keep the traffic congestion down in the industrial backstage areas. The new road will allow Disney to control the area better for fireworks.

WDW Magic left some things out of their article.

With the same permit they also filed this:

Pages%20from%20exhibits_ExploratorySoilB

Do you know where that is?

Me either, how about now:

It looks like they are doing some research on this area west of Western Way.  This land use map shows that its a lot of residential though.

WBI

The second road mentioned is already under construction. Though it's not going to be an entrance to the property so to speak. It is more for the residents and cast who live in the area. It's major point is to bypass the area where the fireworks are set off. Currently, every night the road is blocked off approx an hour before up to an hour after wishes. With increased traffic on this road, it becomes more of a concern. It will also keep the traffic congestion down in the industrial backstage areas. The new road will allow Disney to control the area better for fireworks.

Random comment about fireworks and the roads.. we were driving the other night and you could see the fireworks at DHS from whatever road we were on. There were TWO rear ending accidents.

Watch the road people, watch the road.

WDW Magic left some things out of their article.

With the same permit they also filed this:

Do you know where that is?

Me either, how about now:

It looks like they are doing some research on this area west of Western Way.  This land use map shows that its a lot of residential though.

WBI

Aren't they restarting the stalled Flamingo Crossings development in that area?  At some point last year they announced that two Marriott branded hotels would be going in there, along with other development.  

Aren't they restarting the stalled Flamingo Crossings development in that area?  At some point last year they announced that two Marriott branded hotels would be going in there, along with other development.  

Looks like you're right Dave, this proposed work is behind the Flamingo Crossing Development (to the west of it).

A quick google search found an article talking about how those two hotels were almost done back in May, not sure if they are open yet.

Looking at the overall property there is tons of room for development, even more than just the Flamingo stuff.  Now that I think about it, someone started a rumor this is where another park was going to go last year when Disney purchased some land and modified the permit.  Like that would ever happen.

WBI

WBI

The residential area shown is along Hartzog Road, outside of the land owned by Disney.  The high density residential shown, is an upcoming condo/townhome development being built by David Weekly Homes near the intersection of Hartzog and Avalon Roads.  The only construction ongoing right now is the hotel at the intersection of Western Way and Flamingo Crossings.

The residential area shown is along Hartzog Road, outside of the land owned by Disney.  The high density residential shown, is an upcoming condo/townhome development being built by David Weekly Homes near the intersection of Hartzog and Avalon Roads.  The only construction ongoing right now is the hotel at the intersection of Western Way and Flamingo Crossings.

I got ya, but I was referring to what I thought was residential area in the middle of the picture that surrounds the green commercial area.  Looking closer though I think I have my colors wrong so I'm not sure what that is zoned for on the land use map.  On another map i pulled up it shows it all as wetlands right now so I'm thinking the soil borings are to one day impact those wetlands.

Just to clarify thought I'm pretty confident that the property I'm referring to is owned by Disney.  They purchased some additional property in this area and others last year and modified their ERP permit to include it. I never bothered to check the appraiser's website to see what name the land is under but these maps were pulled from their permit mod:

Here's the link where we talked about that:

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/14035-rumor-wdw-5th-park-new-flamingo-crossings/?p=404519

WBI

I got ya, but I was referring to what I thought was residential area in the middle of the picture that surrounds the green commercial area.  Looking closer though I think I have my colors wrong so I'm not sure what that is zoned for on the land use map.  On another map i pulled up it shows it all as wetlands right now so I'm thinking the soil borings are to one day impact those wetlands.

Just to clarify thought I'm pretty confident that the property I'm referring to is owned by Disney.  They purchased some additional property in this area and others last year and modified their ERP permit to include it. I never bothered to check the appraiser's website to see what name the land is under but these maps were pulled from their permit mod:

Here's the link where we talked about that:

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/14035-rumor-wdw-5th-park-new-flamingo-crossings/?p=404519

WBI

Good point.  I see where you are referring to now and that is Disney property.  I thought it was the color for "Institutional", but now it is hard to tell. It could be "Low Density Residential" and Disney has not applied for a zoning change yet.

• 2 months later...

Flamingo Crossing news from Chip & Co...

Flamingo Crossings near Walt Disney World is Getting a New Third Hotel
SEPTEMBER 29, 2015 BY DISNEY NEWS

2015-09-29-09_43_29-flamingo-crossing-wa

A third hotel is coming to Disney World’s west side. In an area known as Flaming Crossings. It could possibly be a Hampton Inn. Disney Imagineering Research & Development has recently sold some more land in the Crossings area. It is almost a 5 acre stretch of land that sold for a whopping $4.25 million. The huge patch of land is by State Road 429 and Western Way.

There are already 2 budget friendly Mariott hotels there, that are supposed to open in February. Those 2 hotels are SpringHill Suites by Marriott and TownePlace Suites by Marriott.  This area is aimed at travelers that are looking for more budget friendly options.

Expect the construction to start around June. It is supposed to have 250 rooms. There will be a few amenities at The Crossings, a picnic pavilion with 6 grills, a fitness center, a batting cage etc. There are a total of 7 hotels in the plans for that area.

2014-10-11-09_10_47-Flamingo_Crossing_Ma

http://www.chipandco.com/flamingo-crossings-hotel-219817/