Baking Bread in a Crock Pot

I've seen people baking bread in the crock pot using a coffee can (good luck finding a real metal one) and there used to be a bread baking insert for crock pots.  I found one at Goodwill but it was missing the lid.  Went back a couple of days later, the lid was there but the can was missing.

I've never heard of it but might give it a try. For browning and crisping up the crust I suspect throwing it on a covered grill with a cold pizza stone would work. I said cold pizza stone as the bottom crust seems to brown well enough in the Crock Pot.

That's a great idea.  The article Mo linked says to brown the bread under a broiler, as there won't be a crust on top.  I thought that sounded dumb- if you have to fire up the oven, you may as well just bake the bread in there.

TCD

That's a great idea.  The article Mo linked says to brown the bread under a broiler, as there won't be a crust on top.  I thought that sounded dumb- if you have to fire up the oven, you may as well just bake the bread in there.

TCD

We don't have an oven in our trailer. I haven't tried but in theory I could bake bread on the covered grill. However that would use a lot of fuel and be hard to control the heat. This looks like it would get around both of those problems and and be a good way to bake a fresh loaf of bread while camping at places where I can't use a Dutch Oven over an open coal bed. 

Since it is supposed to be wet tomorrow preventing be from replacing the sway bar link on the Explorer I might give this a try. If I do I will drag out the 6 Qt and my little 2Q to see which works better. Otherwise I'll do it next week sometime.

Since it is supposed to be wet tomorrow preventing be from replacing the sway bar link on the Explorer I might give this a try. If I do I will drag out the 6 Qt and my little 2Q to see which works better. Otherwise I'll do it next week sometime.

I'll be curious to hear how it works for you.