Picking up our new 5th wheel in 2.5 weeks, what do I need to know?

We ordered a new 5er a few weeks back and it goes into production tomorrow. We are scheduled to pickup Sep 3/4th. We will be driving quite a distance from home to the selling dealer (850 miles 1 way) to pick it up and I want to make sure I dont miss anything major. We sold the TT and need to make sure we are set for a 5th wheel. 

Heading on an ambitious route with a tight schedule so we need to try to avoid issues. Atlanta - Michigan - Niagra falls - Hershey Pa - and back to Atlanta in 6 days. 

Here is what I have done and what I have questions about. Any other thoughts or suggestions are welcome. 

1- Hitch, Finally decided and ordering tomorrow

2- Hook up parts, We ordered the additional connections since the new trailer has 2 sets of tanks, 

Ordered 30 to 50 amp adapters

3- Height??? Trust the MFG numbers or figure out how to measure while on road before we travel too far. 

4- RV GPS -  do we need one? 

5 - Tailgate, do i need one of those notched ones or just remember to raise and lower tailgate when hitching. 

6- Tools, planning on bringing a small set for small issues

7- Inspection before signing paperwork -  we have a pretty extensive check list from the folks over at the keystone forums, 

What else? I have to admit that i am slightly nervous to tow a 13' tall 40' long trailer 1600 miles right out of the gate. 

We are staying 30 mins from the dealer the first night so if there are any MAJOR issues we can get help, after that we will have to have service in Atlanta on the return. 

The dealer should help you set up your hitch height - barring some lift kit or the like, you will probably be fine.  I moved my B&W companion hitch from my Dodge 3500 to my Chevy 3500 with no need to change. 

Get a lube plate - grease on a fifth wheel works, but is so messy and if you run into it (like I do), you will ruin countless shirts.  The dealer may have these in stock, or you can buy online for under $20 bucks.

Tailgate - I've never had a notched one - just remember to lower and raise. Bigger issue with a long bed than a short bed.  My tailgate wouldn't hit on my longbed hitching up as long as I'm not at an angle. I still make sure I close it after the pin box is in the bed area.  If you are full timing, I'd probably get a notched tailgate - I'm lazy!

I'd bring a breaker bar and the correct socket to fit your lug nuts on the FW - if its a heavy duty model, the standard tire changing fare may not cut it.  If its a lightweight, you probably will be fine with what you have. 

I've downloaded a trucker app on my iPhone to help with routes - my fiver is right at 40' so sometimes going thru regular gps instructions isn't ideal.  There are quite a few of these apps - search the forums here for some discussions or at rv.net 

Surge protector is something I'd think about - 50amp service is a bit bigger deal than 30amp and with all the electronics on RV's these days, it's cheap insurance. 

Towing a FW is MUCH easier than a TT - they do handle and back differently.  Rule of thumb I use is to pull up a length farther than I would with a TT as it won't start turning as quickly as a bumper pull - but when it does turn, you can really move it around.  If there are some empty camping spots at the campground, practice backing in a few different ones with a spotter.  Cones in a parking lot works too.  When a semi passes you and you don't have a whisper of sway - you will get a BIG smile on your face!   Congrats on your new RV!  

Are you bringing all the "stuff" that was in your travel trailer? It sounds like you are camping for some fun right out of the gate? Or just bare minimum and using the 5ver for sleeping for this trip.

Mostly just the basics for the trip up, we wont have all that much room once we put the hitch and a cooler in the back. Might bring the little grill but pretty bare bones the first go round. Once back to atlanta we have 2 days home before the next trip so we will dedicate our selves to getting it properly setup. 

1- Hitch, Finally decided and ordering tomorrow

MINIMUM 6" between top of bed an bottom of fifth-wheel.

3- Height??? Trust the MFG numbers or figure out how to measure while on road before we travel too far. 

Numbers from Manuf are correct., but if you are nose high while towing you could be an inch or so higher

4- RV GPS -  do we need one? 

Highly recommended since if properly programmed it will alert you to low clearance and other areas that can cause problem.

5 - Tailgate, do i need one of those notched ones or just remember to raise and lower tailgate when hitching.

This is a toss up. If  you pay attention you will not have a problem. I don't use one. I have a friend who owns a body shop and he said , "repairing or replacing tailgates for FW owners is done very frequently".

What kind of FW did you get?  Sometime in the next few years we are thinking about getting rid of the MH and getting a fifth wheel.

We went with a Keystone Cougar 336bhs

We wanted a bunkhouse version and with only a 2500 our choices were limited. This model is lighter then other bunks and fits the bill. 

First off, congratulations on the fiver. 

As to towing....assuming your truck is up to the task, you will love it.  Backing is easy, just don't jack-knife and break your cab window. With my dually diesel 350 there is no movement with semis passing, although make sure you have room to stop!  These trailers are heavy and I don't think the brakes on them are as capable of stopping the mass of the unit as what you are used on a TT.  Also BEWARE OF TAIL SWING!  When you turn left...the back end of your coach goes right.....far right, and the sharper the turn the farther it swings.  I luckily learned this lesson on my neighbors mailbox, and was able to fix it before he found out.  Once we were in a campground in PA where road construction required a sharp right turn to leave the park.  I spent much of the day watching long units scrape their back left corner on the fence beside the driveway as they were leaving.  If I am even the slightly concerned about clearance I send the wife out to watch while we talk on the cell phones.

Make sure you have what you need to change a tire.  A 4 way wrench should have the size fitting you need, but make sure.  A big torque wrench is nice if you want to be precise about tightening the lugs....90-100 lbs is recommended with aluminum wheels I believe.  Make sure you have the ability to get the trailer up in the air to change a flat as well.  The trailer helper ramps will not always work on a bigger trailer, especially if your unit has an upgraded suspension that allows the non-lifted axle to fall as you lift the other.  A bottle jack and some blocks are a real good idea to have along.  Also several flashlights and I carry some flares as it always seems we get a flat on the interstate, which is not fun to try to change, especially on the drivers side. 

Have some chocks in case you unhitch someplace.  Nothing fancy, but these are easy to forget.

I will second the grease plate as above.  Cheap, easy to install, cleaner than lubing all the time.

Look 3 times, move once.  Anytime you hitch or unhitch there are so many things that need to be done it is easy to forget one and ruin your day, especially if you have an audience.  The most important is to make sure your pin is locked in on your hitch.  You will get to recognize the sound that it makes when it does, but make sure you can put the safety pin in before you move, and I still look at the hitch from the tailgate as I plug in to the truck to make sure the "jaw" is behind the king pin and the safety pin is in place and that you cannot pull the handle and disengage the hitch.  This will keep you from pulling away and the trailer falling down on your bed sides.

If I think of any other good tips I have learned I will post again.  Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome!  Now we just need to figure out a way... to fit both of our trailers on our one spot this weekend ;)

If only....... we called them and apparently they dont want us to come, something about being all booked for the weekend.... Geeze I mean who doesnt save a spot on a holiday weekend at their campground just in case we called at the last minute. 

On a side note we do have an extra spot at bald ridge marina if anyone wants it, we reserved it but its too short for the new unit, we were lucky enough to grab another longer spot for this weekend.

I am going to release it tonight for the masses if no takers. .....