In preparation for some special events that will take place this fall at Magic Kingdom, audio and pyrotechnic checks will be conducted during the overnight hours on select dates. Audio sound checks will take place Aug. 22–29, Aug. 31–Sept. 5, and Sept. 8–14. Pyrotechnic effects will be tested Aug. 27–28, Sept. 1–3, and Sept. 12–14, 2015. Guests staying at any of the Disney Hotels located around the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake will receive in-room notices.

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2015/08/nighttime-show-rehearsals-to-impact.html

We were at the Hilton Orlando on International Drive by the convention center a little more than a week ago.

One night between the storms we went out on a common area balcony on the 15th floor facing the MK.  We got to see the majority of the fireworks (probably missed the lower ones), but what was surprising, was that we could hear them over all of the surrounding noises, and at that distance.

The noise wasn't like we were at the parks, but still noticeable.

And we also got to see a lot of the Universal ones.

We were at the Hilton Orlando on International Drive by the convention center a little more than a week ago.

One night between the storms we went out on a common area balcony on the 15th floor facing the MK.  We got to see the majority of the fireworks (probably missed the lower ones), but what was surprising, was that we could hear them over all of the surrounding noises, and at that distance.

The noise wasn't like we were at the parks, but still noticeable.

And we also got to see a lot of the Universal ones.

I would guess the sound carries further at that height due to not solid objects in the way to absorb the sound.

That's a lot of testing.

I wonder what it's all about?

Yes it is and that's a darned good question.

Even if they're just doing a pre-season run through of Hallowishes and Holiday Wishes, you wouldn't think that would take 7 nights.

I wonder if they're planning some updates to the show and are trying some things out?

Yes it is and that's a darned good question.

Even if they're just doing a pre-season run through of Hallowishes and Holiday Wishes, you wouldn't think that would take 7 nights.

I wonder if they're planning some updates to the show and are trying some things out?

They must be adding some Frozen elements to Hallowishes.  Note that the sound checks are for even more nights than the fireworks.  That must be to allow Elsa to practice her screeching to make sure she gets it just right.

TCD

Doesn't the National Fireworks Association convention happen at WDW around this time of year??  (Not sure the name is right), but I remember reading about folks seeing amazing fireworks displays several nights in a row (after hours), and it was fireworks manufacturers showing off their stuff.

It's not fireworks they are testing. It's pyrotechnics. You know, the stuff they shoot off during the stage shows and celebrate the magic. You'll hear it but not see much.

And it's fir the new stage show for the Halloween parties.

It's not fireworks they are testing. It's pyrotechnics. You know, the stuff they shoot off during the stage shows and celebrate the magic. You'll hear it but not see much.

Ahhh... that makes sense.  Thanks Dave!  :)

Thanks for setting us straight, Dave.

That makes sense.  I am mildly interested in that new show. The problem is I have never seen the "Hocus Pocus" movie, so I am not very geeked about the new show based on that movie.

I guess I could find a copy and watch it, but it gets pretty bad reviews, which Rotten Tomatoes sums up as follows: "Harmlessly hokey yet never much more than mediocre, Hocus Pocus is a muddled family-friendly effort that fails to live up to the talents of its impressive cast."  I don't know if I should give up an hour and a half of my life for that, and it's odd to me that Disney is basing a new show on this 20+ year old mediocre movie.

At least it's not Frozen.

TCD