Hollywood Studios returning to Rope Drops

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/disneys-hollywood-studios/news/01sep2015-rope-drop-opening-procedure-returns-to-disneys-hollywood-studios.htm

Beginning today, Disney's Hollywood Studios is returning to the old 'Rope Drop' opening procedure on all regular non-Extra Magic Hour mornings at the park.
Guests without breakfast reservations will be allowed through the touch points at 8:30am and onto Hollywood Blvd. Guests will be able to go as far at the 50's Prime Time Cafe, Min and Bill's Dockside, and to the Trolley Car Cafe, with ropes at each of those locations.Oscars, Crossroads of the World, Mickey's of Hollywood and the Starbucks Trolley Car Cafe on Hollywood Blvd will all be open for the early arrivals.
The rope drop will then take place at each of those three locations at 8:45am, including welcome announcement, with cast on-hand to lead guests to the attractions. Guests with early dining reservations will be able to enter the park at 7:45am.

Until today's return to the old rope drop, guests were queued outside of the main entrance before being allowed into the park.

Another reason to get up early.

I've done rope drop (and what replaced it) at HS twice in the past - both times to be able to get on TSM without waiting over an hour. 

That's plenty for me!

This trip I have a whole bunch of FPs for TSM just so that I can continue my streak of not getting to a park before noon.  8)

We love getting to the park early and getting a bunch of stuff done quick.  But the "Rope drop" is asinine.

The turnstiles (or Mickey Band Reader now) provides an excellent access point to the park and allows guests to filter through them and make their way at their own pace (assuming they are not running like jackasses) to their first attraction.

The rope drop, on the other hand, funnels hundreds of people, along with their strollers and wheelchairs and ECV's and everything else, into a tiny area, makes them stand there for half an hour while hundreds more push in behind them, and then force marches them, shoulder to shoulder, at the pace set by the CM's along a narrow pathway chosen by management.  A recipe for disaster. 

Now I know what all you kool-aid drinkers will say "If you don't like it don't go."  I will go, because it is the best use of my time and money.  I just think it is a bad idea.

It is not accurate to say that things are going to go back to the way they were.

According to what WDWMagic posted, there are going to be three ropes and three drops.

There used to be only one.

Everyone used to be held where I have the purple line marked #1 on this aerial photo:

dhs%20entry_zpskgdvvelj.jpg

The article says that guests will now also be allowed to go as far as the Dockside Diner and the 50's Prime Time Café.  Those two parts are new- I have Dockside Diner marked with a #2 on the photo, and Prime Time is marked with a #3.  I imagine that guests wanting to sign up for the Jedi Training Academy will want to go to the Dockside Diner rope.  Toy Story and RNRC folks will want to be at the original rope.  I can't figure out who would want to go to the rope near Prime Time.

TCD

Breakfast at Sci fi maybe to primtime.

It says guests with ADR's for Sci Fi can go through the ropes.

Plus, I think the Dockside Diner location is closer.

It may be they are just spreading folks out, and they'll have the ropes situated so that everyone coming around Echo Lake has an equal shot at the Jedi Training Academy sign-ups.

TCD

We love getting to the park early and getting a bunch of stuff done quick.  But the "Rope drop" is asinine.

The turnstiles (or Mickey Band Reader now) provides an excellent access point to the park and allows guests to filter through them and make their way at their own pace (assuming they are not running like jackasses) to their first attraction.

The rope drop, on the other hand, funnels hundreds of people, along with their strollers and wheelchairs and ECV's and everything else, into a tiny area, makes them stand there for half an hour while hundreds more push in behind them, and then force marches them, shoulder to shoulder, at the pace set by the CM's along a narrow pathway chosen by management.  A recipe for disaster. 

Now I know what all you kool-aid drinkers will say "If you don't like it don't go."  I will go, because it is the best use of my time and money.  I just think it is a bad idea.

Good post.

I think they need a CM just past the scanners who can direct people to where they need to go for rope drop.

There should be a special area for folks in wheelchairs, moms with strollers, and Ohio State fans to line up behind the regular guests who are able to safely walk to the attractions.

TCD

The Pope will be in Philadelphia 26-27 September, I didnt know he was going to drop by the Studios. Wait a minute. Oh, that's ROPE drop. Carry on.