Loop Advice From The Experts

Ok, probably have asked this question previously. so bear with me. Our yearly trip brings to to a full hook up site this year. ok most of the info I have gathered recommends us to the 1600 or 1700 loop. Wanting everyones advice on which loop and which sites are better in the loop recommended. Here is our info for recommendations: 40 ft motorhome with slides, also satellite reception is important, do not need to be close to comfort stations and transportation is not a factor since we bring our golf cart. All recommendations are GREATLY Appreciated.. Thanks

"Best" sites is really a personal decision.  The Fort is unique in that you do not resaerve a specific site, but a "type" of site.  As such I can tell you that 1601 is the best site in the world, but if someone is on it when you arrive you will not get it.

So, what to do.....   Decide what you want.  You want a long site, you want a wide site, you want a site close to the comfort station' these are all things the site assigner can work with.  Decide what you want and have it listed in your reservaion comments so the assigner sees it.  Want extra protection, send a fax five days before your arrival.

Every loop at Fort Wilderness has good sites and bad sites - depending on your preferences.  What shoud you do  dont's stress over it.  Make your request, send a fax if you must and check in on line.  Whe you arrive they will have a site assigned to you.  Drive on back and check it out.  Don't like it, check out all the open sites on 1600 - 1900.  If one is open you like just stop by the comfort station and use the house phone to call back to the reception outpost.  Ask to be reassigned to the site you like.  easy peasy........

Tim,

I appreciate the response, However I am looking for recommendations for specific sites that someone has stayed in compared to another in the loops I mentioned, We have always stayed in a premium loop for many years and opted this year to stay in a full hook up site. and Yes you can request a specific site, we do it every year, we call and request 3 specific sites and almost always are placed into our first choice, Unfortunately there is a huge difference in sites thru the Fort. Some excellent sites, some not so excellent. But since we have never stayed in a full hook up site before, I was looking for advice from fiends who have stayed in 1600 or 1700 and their recommendations. Thanks

If being close to stuff isn't important, I like 1700 better than 1600, as the sites are more spread out, and it doesn't seem as crowded as 1600.

I don't know what you need for satellite reception.  I assume you need a spot where you have a clear shot at the sky without trees in the way- which direction do you need your dish to be pointing.  I might be able to help with some suggestions if I know that.

Also-when are you going?  There are several sites on 1700 that are occupied by long-term campers every winter.  That tells you something.  But, it also means those sites won't be available if you're planning to come in the November-February time frame.

TCD

TCD.

Thanks for the response,  arriving Sat December 5, 2015 leaving Sat Dec 12, 2015.  Satellite concern is we lost use of our roof top dish and are using our portable tripod set up, so moving around the site for 90% plus signal is not such a big issue as long as I have direct line of sight..

if you believe 1700 would be better for our set up 40ft motorhome with slides, I appreciate any site numbers you would recommend. As I said, this is our first time in a full hook up site, I have the premium sites we always stayed at to a science and we have always stayed in 500 so I have always requested 3 in that loop, this year  new waters.. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.. 

Jim

TCD.

Thanks for the response,  arriving Sat December 5, 2015 leaving Sat Dec 12, 2015.  Satellite concern is we lost use of our roof top dish and are using our portable tripod set up, so moving around the site for 90% plus signal is not such a big issue as long as I have direct line of sight..

if you believe 1700 would be better for our set up 40ft motorhome with slides, I appreciate any site numbers you would recommend. As I said, this is our first time in a full hook up site, I have the premium sites we always stayed at to a science and we have always stayed in 500 so I have always requested 3 in that loop, this year  new waters.. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.. 

Jim

That time of year, there are probably a half dozen or more sites on 1700 that will be occupied by long time campers.  They seem to congregate around the loop entrance, and then there are a few that will be about half-way around the loop.  They are in the sites that I'd recommend, but there are plenty of other sites that would work for you.  I've had sites on the outside of the loop in the range of 1707-1716.  Those sites back up to Big Pine Drive, and you can get some bus and traffic noise, but you also don't have neighbors in the back, and I think you'd have openings for your dish.  I've also camped on the inside of the loop in site 1731, which was nice.  The interior of the loop is wooded and provides some good privacy. 

TCD

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.. We decided on site 1718 and are booked into that site for our upcoming stay..We will see how it works out..

Enjoy your trip. Just remember site requests are not guaranteed, so you may want to have a few other sites picked out just incase 1718 is not available when you check in.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.. We decided on site 1718 and are booked into that site for our upcoming stay..We will see how it works out..

As Derek said sites aren't guaranteed. What I did was request site 1318. It's on the canal and there is a break in campsites on our door side of the trailer giving good privacy. If it was unavailable I requested any 1300 site that backs up to the canal and finally any outside site in the 1300 or 1200 loops. This way the site assigner will have an idea of what we are looking for when assigning an alternate. We arrive on a Sunday and while we might not get 1318 I suspect we will be able to get one on the canal.

Enjoy your trip. Just remember site requests are not guaranteed, so you may want to have a few other sites picked out just incase 1718 is not available when you check in.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

As Derek said sites aren't guaranteed. What I did was request site 1318. It's on the canal and there is a break in campsites on our door side of the trailer giving good privacy. If it was unavailable I requested any 1300 site that backs up to the canal and finally any outside site in the 1300 or 1200 loops. This way the site assigner will have an idea of what we are looking for when assigning an alternate. We arrive on a Sunday and while we might not get 1318 I suspect we will be able to get one on the canal.

Good advice!

I hope you get the site you want, Jim.  Please report back and let us know if you did.

That site number is in the area where there are long term campers in December, but maybe you'll get lucky and it will be open.

TCD

To all..  We are guaranteed site 1718..... already blocked out of inventory for the week we are there,,  And the 1700 loop for the week we are there currently is only 25% booked.....

Thanks to all for the comments and responses..                                         

To all..  We are guaranteed site 1718..... already blocked out of inventory for the week we are there,,  And the 1700 loop for the week we are there currently is only 25% booked.....

Thanks to all for the comments and responses..

That's an interesting comment. Who guaranteed a specific site for you? I've never heard of that happening before. Do you have some secret contact?

TCD

Super Secret Squirrel Contacts...........

Well, that's a disappointing response.

You've been around here a long time.  You know how it works- we try to help each other out with tips on how to make our Fort stays more enjoyable.

You asked for help in this thread, and got some good pointers.

And now you're going to keep some information that could possibly help a lot of folks to yourself?

Not cool.

TCD

Well, that's a disappointing response.

You've been around here a long time.  You know how it works- we try to help each other out with tips on how to make our Fort stays more enjoyable.

You asked for help in this thread, and got some good pointers.

And now you're going to keep some information that could possibly help a lot of folks to yourself?

Not cool.

TCD

:bellringer:

TCD,

Yes I have been here a long time and yes I give any info possible,,  under this situation due to being an internal concern I can not give out how this came to be..... As I always do, 10 days out I call the F.W. front desk and request a specific 3 sites and always been placed into one of them,,  On this situation, I was assisted due to a very DIFFICULT concern from our visit last year. I did not ask for the assistance,  I was contacted,, However I am not going to turn down the opportunity to be placed into the site we requested. I asked for loop info as we have never stayed in 1700 before we have always stayed in 1400 or 500. so I was looking for advice on the best sites in 1700..

TCD,

Yes I have been here a long time and yes I give any info possible,,  under this situation due to being an internal concern I can not give out how this came to be..... As I always do, 10 days out I call the F.W. front desk and request a specific 3 sites and always been placed into one of them,,  On this situation, I was assisted due to a very DIFFICULT concern from our visit last year. I did not ask for the assistance,  I was contacted,, However I am not going to turn down the opportunity to be placed into the site we requested. I asked for loop info as we have never stayed in 1700 before we have always stayed in 1400 or 500. so I was looking for advice on the best sites in 1700..

I figured it was something like that- some kind of special situation.  Must have been something bad if they contacted you.

That explains things.  I just thought we should try to be clear on what's happening, as there are thousands of folks who come to this site looking for advice about the Fort, and your post was the first I've ever heard of anyone being guaranteed a specific site at the Fort.  If there was a way to do that, I'm sure there are a lot of folks here who would love that.

Have a great trip, and I hope you like your site.

TCD