For the Locals and envious out of towners

This or other versions have been floating around for a while, but it's always good for a chuckle, especially #'s  8, 9, 17, 19, and to really rub it in, #21

I can't post the pictures so here's just the descriptions and the link to the entire article...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/faith-in-humidity-restored#.hbE797206

1. Steering Wheel

What other people think it means: An instrument that controls the motion of your vehicle.
What Floridians know it means: A horrible weapon capable of delivering third-degree burns to your hands after it’s been baking in the sun.

2. Season

What other people think it means: Winter, spring, summer or fall.
What Floridians know it means: The time of year from November to March where you can’t go to any restaurants and traffic is bananas.

3. Publix

What other people think it means: A grocery store like Stop ‘n’ Shop or Safeway.
What Floridians know it means: Actual paradise on Earth.

4. Publix Sub

What other people think it means: Like any other sandwich you get from a grocery store deli?
What Floridians know it means: CHEESE, MEAT, AND VEGGIES FROM HEAVEN PACKED IN BETWEEN BREAD THAT’S BEEN BLESSED BY GOD HIMSELF.

5. Humidity

What other people think it means: The thing that makes your hair frizz when you go outside during the summer.
What Floridians know it means: The thing that makes you question why you live in Florida at all.

6. College Football

What other people think it means: Something you watch on Saturdays.
What Floridians know it means: Passionate rivalries that have destroyed families.

7. Snowbird

What other people think it means: A cute bird that chirps during the winter.
What Floridians know it means: The reason you’re stuck in traffic behind Buicks poking along at 20 miles per hour.

8. Freezing

What other people think it means: Any temperature below 32.
What Floridians know it means: Any temperature below 70.

9. I-4

What other people think it means: A highway that connects Tampa to Daytona Beach.
What Floridians know it means: An excellent place to catch up on your texts while you’re sitting motionless in traffic for four hours.

10. Socks

What other people think it means: A way to keep your feet warm and protected in boots.
What Floridians know it means: Something you wear while exercising or bowling.

11. Air-Conditioning

What other people think it means: Something you run for a few days a year when it gets REALLY hot.
What Floridians know it means: LIKE OXYGEN ITSELF.

12. Lovebugs

What other people think it means: A cute-sounding insect.
What Floridians know it means: The reason you have to wash your car pretty much every day.

13. The “U”

What other people think it means: The 21st letter of the alphabet.
What Floridians know it means: A university that no one realizes is a private school in the wealthy part of Miami.

14. Summer

What other people think it means: BBQs, fireflies, and mildly warm temperatures.
What Floridians know it means: Just don’t go outside. Ever.

15. Hurricane

What other people think it means: Always a reason to panic and buy up every single loaf of bread and jug of water from the store.
What Floridians know it means: Mostly an excuse to get super drunk at a hurricane party.

16. Lizard

What other people think it means: A possibly scary creature.
What Floridians know it means: A tiny, cute reptile that’s literally EVERYWHERE.

17. Hoodie

What other people think it means: A way to keep warm in fall and spring.
What Floridians know it means: Your winter coat.

18. Parallel parking

What other people think it means: Parking your car parallel to the curb, which you have to do to pass your driver’s license test.
What Floridians know it means: Something you never really have to do!!!

19. Christmas

What other people think it means: Time for snow, hot chocolate, and gifts by the fire.
What Floridians know it means: Stringing Christmas lights on your palm trees while wearing shorts and sandals.

20. Flip-flops

What other people think it means: Shoes you wear to the pool or beach.
What Floridians know it means: Shoes you wear to the pool. Or beach. Or running errands. Or to the movies. Or to dinner. Or to work.

21. Disney World

What other people think it means: The happiest place on Earth.
What Floridians know it means: The happiest place on Earth, which you can go to PRETTY MUCH ANY TIME YOU WANT

Well, Publix has made it all the way to parts of NC, so their fame is spreading.

They are getting competition from Harris Teeter in some areas.  That is a great store.

We have one in Huntersville.  I occasionally shop there when I'm nearby, but it's not close enough to be my go-to.  Haven't seen anything to make me think it's the greatest grocery store ever yet, though.  They are building a closer one but haven't even started yet.  My HT (2 mi. away) has fallen quality-wise since being bought by Kroger, so I will probably switch to Publix when it opens.  

The best thing IMO is that you can order deli meat on a touch screen and then shop and pick it up.  The HT deli near me is about the slowest thing in the history of the world.

For any who enjoyed that post, here's a companion quiz that will tell you how Floridian you are:

You're supposed to answer these yes or no: 

1. You’ve tasted the wonder that is a Publix Chicken Tender Sub.

2. You have been warned not to swim in a canal.

3. You’ve ridden on an airboat.

4. You have played under the roots of a banyan tree.

5. You’ve tried conch.

6. You’ve seen an alligator in the wild.

7. You’ve referred to Miami as “not like the rest of Florida.”

8. You’ve driven through a Farm Store to buy milk.

9. You know when “mosquito season” is.

10. You’ve made X’s on your windows with blue tape.

11. You or someone you know owns a T-shirt featuring a marlin jumping out of the sea.

12. You’ve visited Hemingway’s house.

13. And Thomas Edison’s home, too.

14. As well as Henry Ford’s.

15. Someone has forwarded you a “Florida man” news story.

16. You own a way overpriced sweatshirt from Disney World.

17. You’ve pointed out that it snowed in Pensacola that one time.

18. You can pinpoint Lake Okeechobee on a map in one second.

19. You’ve eaten grits AND fried plantain.

20. You’ve hoped that a hurricane isn’t given your name.

21. You have been on a boat.

22. You share your home with various green lizards.

23. You’ve been menaced by an opossum.

24. You still think of them as the Florida Marlins.

25. …And you have negative thoughts about their new logo.

26. You’ve had a mosquito bite on your face.

27. You learned about Marjory Stoneman Douglas in school.

28. You’ve seen palm trees and oaks with Spanish moss on the same road trip.

29. You have killed approximately 13,872 cockroaches in your lifetime.

30. You’ve sweat through Christmas.

31. You know exactly what brackish water smells like.

32. You’ve yelled “I hate humidity” at no one in particular.

33. You’ve survived a lovebug infestation.

34. You know key lime pie >>>>>> all other pies.

35. You’ve fed lettuce to a manatee.

36. You freaked out the first time you saw snow.

37. 60 degrees is cold!

38. You know what TruckNutz™ are.

39. You’ve pet a sea cucumber at Seacamp.

40. You’ve celebrated Senior Night by wearing Mickey ears.

41. You’ve smelled like chlorine for an entire month.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alexalvarez/oh-the-humanatee#.qak1MA80L

TCD

We have one in Huntersville.  I occasionally shop there when I'm nearby, but it's not close enough to be my go-to.  Haven't seen anything to make me think it's the greatest grocery store ever yet, though.  They are building a closer one but haven't even started yet.  My HT (2 mi. away) has fallen quality-wise since being bought by Kroger, so I will probably switch to Publix when it opens.  

The best thing IMO is that you can order deli meat on a touch screen and then shop and pick it up.  The HT deli near me is about the slowest thing in the history of the world.

I didn't know Kroger bought HT.

My nephew lives in Cornelius NC where HT hqs. is or it's nearby.

The HT there is like a lab, they try out all the new ideas there.

We've shopped there, in Shirlington, and Nashville.  They are a little on the pricey side like Publix, but they do have some good sales and they have the cheap sub sandwiches on Friday?

For any who enjoyed that post, here's a companion quiz that will tell you how Floridian you are:

5. You’ve tried conch.

11. You or someone you know owns a T-shirt featuring a marlin jumping out of the sea.

37. 60 degrees is cold!

TCD

Only ones I haven't done are the school aged ones, but my kids have.

I didn't know Kroger bought HT.

My nephew lives in Cornelius NC where HT hqs. is or it's nearby.

The HT there is like a lab, they try out all the new ideas there.

We've shopped there, in Shirlington, and Nashville.  They are a little on the pricey side like Publix, but they do have some good sales and they have the cheap sub sandwiches on Friday?

It was a couple of years ago.  They kept the HT name.  Some of my FB friends were talking gloom & doom at the time and I thought they were being silly, but sure enough they have gone downhill.

I'm pretty sure the HT HQ is down in Matthews, as I know exactly where the building is that I think is HQ, but they may have something up in Cornelius as well.  It's all Charlotte suburbs anyway.

They do have 1/2 price foot longs on Friday, and they are actually really good (I like the bread a lot).  My husband & I started going there on Fridays for lunch after he retired from his day job, but now I can't eat bread anymore.   :angry:

Same here.  And, I've never been to the Ford or Edison homes.  I know where they are, but have never been.  I have been to Hemingway's.

I also have never fed lettuce to a manatee.  I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

Even so, my score is up there.

TCD

I have lived in VA or NC my whole life and scored 14.

Isn't mosquito season year round? It is here now.

It was a couple of years ago.  They kept the HT name.  Some of my FB friends were talking gloom & doom at the time and I thought they were being silly, but sure enough they have gone downhill.

I'm pretty sure the HT HQ is down in Matthews, as I know exactly where the building is that I think is HQ, but they may have something up in Cornelius as well.  It's all Charlotte suburbs anyway.

They do have 1/2 price foot longs on Friday, and they are actually really good (I like the bread a lot).  My husband & I started going there on Fridays for lunch after he retired from his day job, but now I can't eat bread anymore.   :angry:

All the HT's in Nashville have now either closed or are being converted to Kroger's.  Doesn't bother me because our neighorhood store is a Publix.  Which is fine, but it's no Wegman's.  

Its not the store that makes it great, its the employees.

My MIL was visiting from NH, it was pouring rain when she was leaving publix, the store employee said leave your cart here, walked her to her car with an umbrella, directed her to drive to a loading area and loaded her car in the rain,  oh and BTW they have a no tipping policy I have tried and tried when they do stuff like that and they will never extend their hands

if you think the touchscreen ordering is nice at the deli, try the online ordering, I click what i want, and as i stroll past the deli area its sitting in a bin with my name on it, along with my sub's

Same here.  And, I've never been to the Ford or Edison homes.  I know where they are, but have never been.  I have been to Hemingway's.

I also have never fed lettuce to a manatee.  I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

Even so, my score is up there.

TCD

Come on Down, especially around Christmas they have the homes decorated for the holidays 

not my pic, one from google image

p1765875139-o701258329-5_54_990x660.jpg

Come on Down, especially around Christmas they have the homes decorated for the holidays 

not my pic, one from google image

p1765875139-o701258329-5_54_990x660.jpg

That's nice.

But it can't compete against Disney World or other places that decorate for the holidays.

Personally, I'd like to visit the Ford and Edison houses, but there really are no compelling reasons to make the effort.

TCD

Oh, and speaking of Pub Subs, has anyone tried one of their NFL themed subs?

These:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers sub: White sub roll, guacamole, Boar’s Head Spicy Jerk Turkey, Boar’s Head Chipotle Gouda, shredded lettuce, mango peach salsa stirred well and lightly crushed plantain chips.

Jacksonville Jaguars sub: White sub roll, chicken tenders, Boar’s Head bacon, deli imported cheddar cheese, deli sweet cole slaw and barbecue mayonnaise.

Miami Dolphins sub: White sub roll, mayonnaise, Boar’s Head chipotle chicken, shredded lettuce, mango peach salsa, drained and fried maduros plantains.

Atlanta Falcons sub: White sub roll, sweet maple-flavored chicken tenders, Boar’s Head bacon, Publix mango peach preserves and sriracha mayonnaise.

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/news/2015/08/29/publix-rolls-out-limited-edition-nfl-subs-in-tampa.html

My oldest daughter got the Miami Dolphins sub when I was visiting her last weekend.  I was tempted to try it, but then I saw that they already are serving their holiday sub, so I had to go with it.

The Miami Dolphins sub was really good.

I haven't tried the Bucs one yet.  I thought maybe it would have crab legs on it.

TCD

Its not the store that makes it great, its the employees.

My MIL was visiting from NH, it was pouring rain when she was leaving publix, the store employee said leave your cart here, walked her to her car with an umbrella, directed her to drive to a loading area and loaded her car in the rain,  oh and BTW they have a no tipping policy I have tried and tried when they do stuff like that and they will never extend their hands

if you think the touchscreen ordering is nice at the deli, try the online ordering, I click what i want, and as i stroll past the deli area its sitting in a bin with my name on it, along with my sub's

Agreed, they do have some great employees.

But HT also tries to take your stuff out for you (I always decline) and most of them won't let me bag my own.  I do online ordering from them occasionally and they bring the bags out and load them up for you.  No tipping that either.  My problem with them is they always have outdated stuff.  You really have to check the dates on everything you buy there.  

I think what I did at Publix was what you are talking about.  The screen said "online ordering" and it was in the bin waiting when I went back after shopping. Of course I didn't know there was a bin and asked the man working at the deli, who walked me out to the bin and showed me where the stuff was.

That's nice.

But it can't compete against Disney World or other places that decorate for the holidays.

Personally, I'd like to visit the Ford and Edison houses, but there really are no compelling reasons to make the effort.

TCD

True story, I once drove to Fort Myers to see the Ford and Edison houses, but when I found out the price I decided I really didn't care about seeing the inside.  lol

I remember there was a lot (I'm sure still is) of talk about how bad of a person Edison was, stealing ideas, taking all of the credit from his team members, using political influence and ultimately his DC current wasn't used.  I don't know much so I'm not debating i just remember hearing all of this on the radio in Naples.

WBI

True story, I once drove to Fort Myers to see the Ford and Edison houses, but when I found out the price I decided I really didn't care about seeing the inside.  lol

I remember there was a lot (I'm sure still is) of talk about how bad of a person Edison was, stealing ideas, taking all of the credit from his team members, using political influence and ultimately his DC current wasn't used.  I don't know much so I'm not debating i just remember hearing all of this on the radio in Naples.

WBI

Tesla was the true genius.  Edison was probably a better business man and self-promoter.  

5. You’ve tried conch.

37. 60 degrees is cold!

TCD

I checked YES to every single one of these!

I checked YES to every single one of these!

Even #35- feeding lettuce to a manatee?

Manatees are protected by the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972, the Endangered Species Act of 1973 and the Florida Manatee Sanctuary Act of 1978. It is illegal to feed, harass, harm, pursue, hunt, shoot, wound, kill, annoy or molest manatees.

http://myfwc.com/conservation/you-conserve/wildlife/manatee/

TCD