We've been going for Christmas for many years and in recent years have added a shorter stay in the summer.  We deplore the high prices, but we don't do much besides our WDW/Fort visits.  For us it's still worth it and we'll likely cut other things to keep going there.  Besides, there are not a lot of places we can take our kids where we can either relax or jump in to all that is offered...on reasonably flat land where pushing wheelchairs is not so much of a chore.  We still make an occasional trip to Gatlinburg, but the Dollywood hills are getting to be a little too much.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we reached the point of it " cost to much to go to the fort " . 

Being retired the increased cost of the sites and gas does make a difference.  The drive to Fort Wilderness from our home in NC is about 650 miles so the total round trip is a little over 1,300 miles and with the price of gas at almost $4.00 a gallon that does add up.  I know that we are fortunate to live closer then some of our Fort Fiends but even driving from NC the increase in gas does make a differnce.  I remember a few years ago when the price of gas was about this high and we vacationed with my BIL and SIL we pulled their  camper and we split the cost and that really helped.  Fully loaded and with the weight of a golf cart added in we were lucky to average 8-miles a gallon.  The cost of fuel at that time was over $4.00 a gallon and with the little extra driving around we did we spent around $700.00 just on fuel.  That split between two couples was not bad but if it was just one family traveling I believe that amount just for fuel would be a bit too much for me! 

I am one that also believes the price of the camp sites are too high.  Believe me, we 'Love' camping at Fort Wilderness and truly believe that there is not a better place to be!  When we first started camping at the Fort many years ago we paid around $19.99 a night plus tax for a partial hook-up site but again that was a long time ago.  I remember in 1976 staying at the Contemporary Resort on the upper floor facing the Magic Kingdom for $56.00 a night and also at the Polynesian Resort in a lake front room also facing the Magic Kingdom for $58.00 a night plus tax. (I saved the receipts for proof!)    So, with that said I realize that the price of everything has gone up over the years  and I am sure that they will continue to increase every year.  We will continue to vacation at the Fort but we just might not be able to go as many times as we would like to!         

With the cost of living including gas, health insurance and food now rising at an dramatic rate, we have decided that our 10-day trip to Dollywood in September will be on a "let's see" basis, depending on the price of gas.  We have come up with a "plan B" which still includes a trip but one that will be approximately half the distance from home. Our next trip to the Fort was to be in November 2011 but we will most likely rearrange that trip to March 2012, giving us time to work all these crazy increases into our budget. I am praying that the Fort trips and expenses don't get so out of hand that we need to go every 2-3 years instead of every year. :rofl2:

If you're going to the Fort just to camp, I don't think it's worth it. I wouldn't pay it. But if you're going to take advantage of what WDW has to offer, it's worth every cent and even I would pay it.

MagicBus, you nailed it from my point of view.  When we visit WDW, it is a vacation for us and we usually stay 3 to 4 weeks.  We have a 3,000 mile round trip so weekend visits are out of the question for us and truthfully, I wouldn't pay that rate for a weekend, as others have said.  When looking at it from the "vacation" perspective, it's just part of the total cost.  I have always been able to get some type of discount and this August I have a premium site booked and most of our 25 nights are $60-$63 and the other nights $83 to $86.

We have vacationed in Lake George, NY, Outer Banks, NC, and Shenandoah Valley, VA and paid more for a campsite than what we have when visiting FW.  Any tourist destination is going to have higher rate and when I look at it from a vacation point of view, I understand that.  However, like a lot of the previous posters, I couldn't justify that cost for a weekend getaway. 

Being north of the 49th parallel, I'm glad I don't have that "weekend" decision to make, but I can certainly understand how difficult the decision not to go could be.

We've been going for Christmas for many years and in recent years have added a shorter stay in the summer.  We deplore the high prices, but we don't do much besides our WDW/Fort visits.  For us it's still worth it and we'll likely cut other things to keep going there.  Besides, there are not a lot of places we can take our kids where we can either relax or jump in to all that is offered...on reasonably flat land where pushing wheelchairs is not so much of a chore.  We still make an occasional trip to Gatlinburg, but the Dollywood hills are getting to be a little too much.

You get in touch with me ANYTIME you'd like to come to Gatlinburg or Dollywood and I'll gladly push the wheelchairs for you. :rofl2:

Trips to WDW and camping at The Fort are luxuries and when times get tough, the luxuries are the first to go.  It is a "Want"... not a "Need".  If you think your fuel bill is high, think about theirs.  Disney's overhead must be mindboggling. 

I'll be there in October as long as work doesn't get in the way. 

Disney charges what the market will bear and what people will pay. 

I can honestly say that prior to 2001, you could pull up to the Fort check-in without a ressie and get a site. In 2000 I called the day before Thanksgiving and had no problem getting a ressie for the weekend.

Up until around 1995, they would also come around the night before you were due to check out and stick a note on your camper inviting you to extend your stay for a reduced rate.  Until 2004 they offered long term stay discounts if you stayed longer than 30 days.  They no longer do any of that because......they don't have to.  The Fort stays full year round now at the prices they currently charge.

Whether or not you can afford it is of no concern to Disney because there will always be those who can.

I have my price limit and if I can't get a ressie within that ball park, we don't go.

That is so true Deb. I will pay a little more because it's Disney, but now factoring gas prices I have to think a lot longer about whether to make that drive. I figured it out today and it would cost us $1200 just in gas. I'm not so sure I want to part with that much money :-\

Disney charges what the market will bear and what people will pay. 

I can honestly say that prior to 2001, you could pull up to the Fort check-in without a ressie and get a site. In 2000 I called the day before Thanksgiving and had no problem getting a ressie for the weekend.

Up until around 1995, they would also come around the night before you were due to check out and stick a note on your camper inviting you to extend your stay for a reduced rate.  Until 2004 they offered long term stay discounts if you stayed longer than 30 days.  They no longer do any of that because......they don't have to.  The Fort stays full year round now at the prices they currently charge.

Whether or not you can afford it is of no concern to Disney because there will always be those who can.

I have my price limit and if I can't get a ressie within that ball park, we don't go.

More than ever, I wish I had known about the Fort sooner!!!!!!!!

Yes the Fort is expensive, but it is still a cost effective vacation for us.  Being a family of 5 and living 1200 miles away, it is still cheaper for us to pull our TT and camp at the fort in a premium site than it is to fly and get the cheapest family suite or moderate resort with a room big enough for a roll away.

Yes the Fort is expensive, but it is still a cost effective vacation for us.  Being a family of 5 and living 1200 miles away, it is still cheaper for us to pull our TT and camp at the fort in a premium site than it is to fly and get the cheapest family suite or moderate resort with a room big enough for a roll away.

I hear ya there!! My neighbors think were swimming in cash cause of all the trips we take (not all disney) and when they find out how much cheaper it is to do it our way (camping) they look like I hitem with a frying pan in the face!!

Well between getting even more conservative/frugal/cheap with our money b/c of the "guvmint"'s assinine shutdown threats, and a promised trip to Jackson Hole with my parents; we are considering cancelling our Dec. reservations.  I hope we don't have to, but I don't know if we will be able to swing the 90/night for a week.  And I can't justify driving the RV down for anything less than 5 nights.