Anyone switch from a Class A to a "Fiver"

Would like to know if anyone did a complete change from a Class A to a Fifth Wheel and what they liked or didn't like about doing so.  We are considering trading our 2004 Dolphin this year and like the looks of the Montana.  Since this also means that we would have to purchase a truck, we would appreciate any discussions or comments from the "experts".

Nancy

While I am not an expert, I am a wise ass.  With that being said, you don't need a big truck as the experts would lead you to believe.  WIth gas prices today a small subcompact car will do.

http://youtu.be/56XL0TysIn0

If PureTCrazy & I could fine two that would mate up with our Malibu Maxx's, we'd jump on them.

We went to a 5th wheel after having a few A's and a few C's. We brought because DH was working 1 1/2 hrs away and it made more sense to have that than an apt.. When we 1st got it we didn't have a truck to pull it, it was set in the CG for us. Well I said we need to get a truck because we can than camp again, especially at the Fort.  DH hated towing it, he never felt comfortable. He said if we are going to keep doing this I want to go back to a MH and we did, he loves that. I love the room the 5er had there is nothing like it. If I was to keep it in one spot, I would love to have another one. Since the only spot I would love to stay full time is the Fort that isn't going to happen.

We had a hard time getting into some sites, the Fort being one, had to pull out one night (got there late) because we couldn't get into the site. But in Homossassa it took us 1 1/2 hrs to get into the spot. DH wasn't the greatest with backing it in.

When all is said and done love our Class A.

Very good friends of ours that have since gotten out of camping due to this very experience did not appreciate the switch.  They had a class A and had some problems with the slides.  They bought used and probably had the class a as their first camper.  From what I understood, the slide kept coming out while they were driving, making the drive, well, unsafe.  :siren:

They traded it in on a truck and 5er and did not like it one bit.  Donnie even had to back it in every time they went to the Fort.  The hitch always seemed to give him trouble and never worked in the rain, which really pissed him off.

He ended up selling it and the truck and took a bath financially on both.

Didn't move from a Class A to a 5th wheel, but we did move from an A to a travel trailer recently.  I loved the motorhome and it served us very well for several years, but due to some changes in our family we knew we wouldn't be using it enough for a while to justify the cost of it, including insurance and maintenance.  With the lower cost of ownership of the trailer, I won't feel as bad if it sits for a period of time.  I used to feel guilty if the mh sat for several weeks. 

We started out a family of 7 in a tent. Moved up to a 27ftBH TT, that we loved. We then decided we wanted something with slides and started looking at 5th wheels. Almost bought one but found the MH we have now.

I love the living space of a 5er but I couldn't go from a Class A now if my life depended on it. I love the convenience and comfort of riding in it. Not to mention Mike doesn't have to stop for me to take a potty break :yourock:

We went to a 5th wheel after having a few A's and a few C's. We brought because DH was working 1 1/2 hrs away and it made more sense to have that than an apt.. When we 1st got it we didn't have a truck to pull it, it was set in the CG for us. Well I said we need to get a truck because we can than camp again, especially at the Fort.  DH hated towing it, he never felt comfortable. He said if we are going to keep doing this I want to go back to a MH and we did, he loves that. I love the room the 5er had there is nothing like it. If I was to keep it in one spot, I would love to have another one. Since the only spot I would love to stay full time is the Fort that isn't going to happen.

We had a hard time getting into some sites, the Fort being one, had to pull out one night (got there late) because we couldn't get into the site. But in Homossassa it took us 1 1/2 hrs to get into the spot. DH wasn't the greatest with backing it in.

1. Richie can't back it up and if he hit something Lorna intentionally backed him into it.

2. Richie bitches too much and it's Lornas fault.

3 Gatordad couldn't drive either and belongs in a cabin. Still Lornas fault

4 Richie still bitches too much. Once again still Lornas fault.

5 See the pattern.

1. Richie can't back it up and if he hit something Lorna intentionally backed him into it.

2. Richie bitches too much and it's Lornas fault.

3 Gatordad couldn't drive either and belongs in a cabin. Still Lornas fault

4 Richie still bitches too much. Once again still Lornas fault.

5 See the pattern.

:D

We have a 5th wheel now and I've always thought a class a would be better. Just thought it would be easier to drive and easier on the kids while traveling.

We took our son and his family to the Fort in our Class A. Our granddaughter was going on 3 and potty training. Having a potty was wonderful. :rofl2:

While I am not an expert, I am a wise ass.  With that being said, you don't need a big truck as the experts would lead you to believe.  WIth gas prices today a small subcompact car will do.

while I do not know what your towing experience is I can tell you that you will not tow any Montana with a sub-compact truck, My 5th wheel is a medium weight at 15,500 loaded and nothing less than a F250 diesel is going to move it. most Montana's go well over 10,000 and should not be towed with anything less than a 3/4 ton.

We have had pop ups and trailers, up to 31 feet.  I do like the size of the 5r's  but I find you're still driving a vehicle, truck or whatever.  So stops become a major factor.  It is really nice to not have to stop for potty breaks for everyone and it's even nicer when all I have to do is ask " Honey, would you make me a sandwich and bring me a cold drink?" and it's all there.  It's also much easier to separate kids getting on each others' nerves and mine too.

It can be entertaining too.  My daughter was sleeping on the bed in back and I took a train crossing a little faster than I should have and she and her husband went flying into the air.  Now that was hilarious! :rofl2:

We have a 5th wheel now and I've always thought a class a would be better. Just thought it would be easier to drive and easier on the kids while traveling.

We took our son and his family to the Fort in our Class A. Our granddaughter was going on 3 and potty training. Having a potty was wonderful. :rofl2:

That's the one thing that would be great! That and being able to grab a snack for the kids easily too! Oh well...one of these days we'll get one.

It's all fun and games until you become the flying projectile and fly down the coach when some idiot pulls in front of your coach.  Then you get to clean the sandwich off the windshield and what is left of you of several pieces of furniture! :rofl2:

It's all fun and games until you become the flying projectile and fly down the coach when some idiot pulls in front of your coach.  Then you get to clean the sandwich off the windshield and what is left of you of several pieces of furniture! :rofl2:

I always tell Mike "I'll make you a sandwich but get me killed". He answers "nobody is dying today dear". I am such a trusting fool  >:D

while I do not know what your towing experience is I can tell you that you will not tow any Montana with a sub-compact truck, My 5th wheel is a medium weight at 15,500 loaded and nothing less than a F250 diesel is going to move it. most Montana's go well over 10,000 and should not be towed with anything less than a 3/4 ton.

I agree.  Read the second part of the first sentence and watch the video and you may realize I was trying to be funny.

thanks for all the input...found a dealer not too far away that we might visit this week since I am on vacation.  Honestly I love our Class A and would definitely stay in it, but I let DH go on about the Montana...spring fever!!!

We switched from a class C to a fiver after our last trip to the fort.  The DD's (4 and 6 at the time) chose to sleep on the converted dinette table, which quickly became a real p.i.t.a.

DW came to the conclusion that "we need something bigger".  Who says size doesn't matter???    :banana:

I made the mistake of letting her shop without adult supervision.  She came home and proudly announced "Yer gonna need a bigger truck..."

She had fallen in love with a 40' Fleetwood Formula toyhauler.  Hey...now the girls each have their own bedroom!

The 2500 Silverado suddenly became a 3500 diesel dually crew cab.  With an 8' bed, it's not unlike parallel parking an aircraft carrier.

We wouldn't go back to the class C, for the room issue alone.  We also like being able to drop the fiver and have the truck to run around.

Class A with a dinghy?  Maybe some day.  But we love the set-up we have for now.