Podcast: The History of Fort Wilderness

Episode 105: The History of Fort Wilderness

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/unofficial-guides-disney-dish/id452620851?mt=2&i=371770487

Years ago, The Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish with Jim Hill Podcast recorded a much more thorough History of Fort Wilderness than the one linked above. I think you can still get it if you don't mind paying a few bucks.  If I remember correctly, it was Episode 19. Of course, the one linked is still a very interesting summary and includes the Fort's initial planned location, size, and the means by which Fort Wilderness was constructed in the after hours with almost no budget through borrowing, bartering, and stealing from Disney offices and many Disney construction projects that were developing the larger WDW. Also, it mentions some original concepts that were never built. Hope you enjoy! 

It plays through with no cost.  Its an interesting story, wish they would do a video so you can SEE the drawings and locations they are talking about.  Sounds like there will be a part 2 to this podcast in the near future. 

BTW the original Walt Idea for the hoop-de-doo review sounded amazing with all the different areas and changing stage.  

If you have ITunes on your computer you can subscribe for free. ITunes is also a free download.

Most podcasts are free at least for the first week or two after they are released. It's a wealth of information, I download a bunch of different ones before a long drive or to listen to while mowing, etc.  There is every topic imaginable, including several on RVing and Camping.

Just don't start buying music, that's when it can get expensive...  :lol:

Nope, no cost. I just listened to that episode and a couple of others from the same source.

BTW, I thought it was interesting that the podcast states that Walt originally wanted TWO campgrounds at WDW and that he proposed River Country as an add-on to the Fort and NOT as a stand-alone park. Apparently he wanted to have something novel and fun to sell to the campers (and extract some of the extra dollars they were saving by camping).

I know Jim Hill has a reputation for playing fast and loose with facts, but I still thought it was a very interesting show, especially, as Tuke said above, the part about the Fort being a forgotten note on a napkin until it was almost too late....  Sounds like the Fort has been an afterthought at WDW since Day One!   :lol:

They also said that they had to immediately double the size of the Fort because of the unexpected demand.  It must have been something to have been there when new loops were opening just as fast as they could build them   B)

Yes, the current one listed is a recent episode and free; however, Episode 19 is no longer listed in the podcasts app/itunes. It too can be streamed for free (I think) from disneydish.bandcamp.com but you will need a subscription for download.  Episode 19 spends more time on the Fort and goes into much more detail on the construction, immediately recognized problem with FW guest not entering the park, design, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, etc. What I really like about this Podcasts is their informative and less than "sugar coated" reflections of Disney history.

On 7/30/2016 at 0:55 PM, bdm said:

It plays through with no cost.  Its an interesting story, wish they would do a video so you can SEE the drawings and locations they are talking about.  Sounds like there will be a part 2 to this podcast in the near future. 

BTW the original Walt Idea for the hoop-de-doo review sounded amazing with all the different areas and changing stage.  

I am also looking forward to Part 2 of this.

They also mention that when they were scraping together men and material to get the Fort built that they "re-appropriated" stuff from all over WDW (even taking desks and file cabinets at night from the Legal Dept! :lol:) and then they would hide things in the swamp near FW to be used later at the Fort as needed.

Made me wonder if that's where those two mine cars came from and how they wound up lost in the woods....  ?

3 hours ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

I am also looking forward to Part 2 of this.

They also mention that when they were scraping together men and material to get the Fort built that they "re-appropriated" stuff from all over WDW (even taking desks and file cabinets at night from the Legal Dept! :lol:) and then they would hide things in the swamp near FW to be used later at the Fort as needed.

Made me wonder if that's where those two mine cars came from and how they wound up lost in the woods....  ?

I think we already figured out the mine cars were acquired when Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was built, which was much later than 1971. There were brought over for the Wilderness Lodge build and got lost.