Well folks, those who live in the south, get ready.  The SAME company who busted the pipeline last month, DID IT AGAIN!  This time it exploded and killed a guy and injured five more.  So, two separate pipelines in two months.  

http://www.wsfa.com/story/33537141/company-1-dead-several-injured-in-colonial-pipeline-blast

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The part of this that jumps out at me is that this was one break in one pipeline. What happens when there is, God Forbid, a real problem? If the energy supply for an entire region is so fragile t

I'm in the Raleigh area and many of the gas stations here and in the surrounding counties are out of gas. The lines I've seen on the news at those stations with gas reminds me of the 70''s gas shortag

I was thinking the same thing. Our electrical grid is just as fragile. Not to turn this into a political debate but you are seeing the results of the US not investing in upkeep of our existing infrast

11 hours ago, Travisma said:

Keith, do you work for USPS?

No I don't. I've always felt the whole special treasury bonds for the USPS and SS pay ahead were one of the biggest scams put over on the electorate. People seem to think these are like bank accounts with funds sitting there waiting to be used when they are really borrowed money that has to be paid back by the tax payer. The fact is it would have been less expensive if the programs continued as pay as you go even if taxpayers had to bail them out occasionally until the plans stabilized.

13 minutes ago, keith_h said:

No I don't. I've always felt the whole special treasury bonds for the USPS and SS pay ahead were one of the biggest scams put over on the electorate. People seem to think these are like bank accounts with funds sitting there waiting to be used when they are really borrowed money that has to be paid back by the tax payer. The fact is it would have been less expensive if the programs continued as pay as you go even if taxpayers had to bail them out occasionally until the plans stabilized.

Imagine how well funded those accounts would be if they weren't touched and allowed to accrue interest?

PMG just announced that the Postal BOG voted to default on paying into that mandated fund this quarter.  That payment almost always puts us in the red.  Without it, we usually break even.

That was a scam by Congress to get a slush fund to raid for their pet projects, and that's why they wont back down. And again, we are mandated by Congress to break even.  They don't want us to make a huge amount of money that we can put away for bad times.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

.... Congress ....

At the risk of really derailing this thread further this is the problem. It really takes an act of Congress for the USPS to be able to do anything yet Congress likes to pretend they are a private company. This pseudo autonomy has got to go. The only way to fix the mess in my mind is to either change the Constitution and fully privatize the USPS getting it out from under Congress or stick with the Constitution and bring back the Postal Department. There are pro's and con's to each and I will leave it open as to which is better but let's just say I am generally against changing the Constitution for political convenience.

7 minutes ago, keith_h said:

At the risk of really derailing this thread further this is the problem. It really takes an act of Congress for the USPS to be able to do anything yet Congress likes to pretend they are a private company. This pseudo autonomy has got to go. The only way to fix the mess in my mind is to either change the Constitution and fully privatize the USPS getting it out from under Congress or stick with the Constitution and bring back the Postal Department. There are pro's and con's to each and I will leave it open as to which is better but let's just say I am generally against changing the Constitution for political convenience.

YUP.  As long as Congress holds the purse strings we will never be a truly independent agency.

Like everything else they do, they stick pork in our budget also, and overrule us all the time. They prevent us from closing POs that haven't show a profit since the Eisenhower administration because 1 constituent who buys 3 stamps a year writes to their Congressman, and we are forced to keep it open.

We have a small office on a dead end street in an affluent area that we have to keep open just because the residents are politically active.  It's about a mile from a huge post office.

On 11/2/2016 at 10:33 PM, AuburnJen said:

Well folks, those who live in the south, get ready.  The SAME company who busted the pipeline last month, DID IT AGAIN!  This time it exploded and killed a guy and injured five more.  So, two separate pipelines in two months.  

http://www.wsfa.com/story/33537141/company-1-dead-several-injured-in-colonial-pipeline-blast

It doesnt seem as bad this time. Everyone is not panicking. The QT around the corner does seem to run out from time to time. I think it's just a matter of the Tanker trucks keeping up?

More energy news, and maybe the next shortage or price rise?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/07/500998673/earthquake-shakes-oklahoma-oil-storage-hub

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/11/07/cushing-oklahoma-earthquake-oil-gas-wastewater-injection/

Earthquake Shakes Oklahoma Oil Storage Hub

A magnitude 5.0 earthquake shook central Oklahoma on Sunday evening, damaging several buildings. Multiple aftershocks also hit the area, the U.S. Geological Survey says.

The quake epicenter was about a mile west of the town of Cushing, the largest commercial crude oil storage center in North America and the southern terminus of the Keystone pipeline.

A spokesperson for Magellan Midstream Partners, which operates pipelines and oil storage facilities in and around Cushing, said the company had shut down its operations there to "check the integrity of our assets."

"We did not encounter any damage associated with [the earthquake]," he wrote in an email, saying the company expects to resume normal operations on Tuesday.

3 hours ago, busterthebronco said:

It doesnt seem as bad this time. Everyone is not panicking. The QT around the corner does seem to run out from time to time. I think it's just a matter of the Tanker trucks keeping up?

They had the pipeline back up running at full capacity at 545am Sunday morning so yes, I believe you are right.  However, they are under investigation now for two breaks in as many months.  If anything comes of it I will be surprised.