No more cute mickey head payment devices

It looks like Disney is going to a standard design for payments that does not have a cute little mickey head.  (insert a little sniff and a sarcastic tear here).  Here are the details.

http://www.chipandco.com/new-payment-devices-brought-disney-world-resorts-retailers-261545/

Disney World Touch Points

It would appear that the cute little mouse head touch points that guests used at Walt Disney World front desks and retailers to charge items to their MagicBands may be a thing of the past.

Guests started reporting this week that these have been swapped out in favor of a more industry standard model (see pictured).  The new devices still work with MagicBands when touched to the flat area that you see above and take other RFID cashless payment options as well.  The new kiosk also offers a chip reader for credit cards.

As reported by WDW news, the company that manufactured the original mouse head touchpoints has gone out of business making maintenance of the previous versions problematic.

New news yet as to whether this is just a prototype or if Disney will be customizing future versions to be more in keeping with the original MagicBand theme.

article and photo credits: chipandco.com

45 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

I've read it's because the old readers couldn't accept the cards with chips.  You know how you have to insert them now.

WBI

That makes sense; I've heard that the processing companies charge a slightly higher rate for non-chip transactions. Imagine the incremental cost to the Mouse just over the course of a day of a few cents a transaction...

23 hours ago, shoreline99 said:

That makes sense; I've heard that the processing companies charge a slightly higher rate for non-chip transactions. Imagine the incremental cost to the Mouse just over the course of a day of a few cents a transaction...

True, but I bet they get some sort of discount on any fees just based on the amount of business.