I used to be a wiz climbing all the crabapple trees back in Cheektowaga...

You're from Cheektowaga?????  My other brother (not NTSammy5) lives in Cheektowaga near the airport!!

I grew up in N. Amherst & N. Tonawanda!! NTHS Class of '72!!

Small world - but I knew I liked you for a reason!!

Here's a link you, and all fellow former Western New Yorker's will enjoy:

https://www.buffalofoods.com/home.htm

I grew up in Tonawanda...THS Class of '73. Sure do wish they could ship Ted's Charbroiled Hot dogs!!

Snakes....you can keep them. They scare me to death along with spiders! :rofl2:

I started to say that Y'all northerners had some strange city names, then I got to thinking about my local area. Estiffinulga, Telogia, Two Egg, etc.  :argh:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're from Cheektowaga?:rofl2:?  My other brother (not NTSammy5) lives in Cheektowaga near the airport!!

I grew up in Cheektowaga (my grandfather, Richard Rebadow, was the longtime general manager of the Buffalo airport, so we spent a ton of time swimming in the pool there -- diving underwater every time the planes roared overhead!), but we moved downstate when I was in third grade, then back up to Syracuse for the rest of my youth. Then (crazy me), I returned to go to college at UB.

My mom grew up on Tonawanda Creek Road.

HELLO, Anchor Bar sauces! And sponge candy!  :argh: Thanks for the link!!

I had no idea there was a pool at the airport!!

Cheek-a-toe-waga!!  Remember the old joke..."What does a pollack consider a matched set of luggage?  Two Sattler's shopping bags!!" Sattler's ----- 9-9-8 Broadway!!

My school bus went down Tonawanda Creek Rd as part of its route.  When we lived in N. Amherst we were on Schoelles Rd - between Campbell Blvd & Hopkins Rd.  Nothing but fields, farmland, and woods...and lots of cows, cabbage, corn & wheat!  It was a great place to spend my tom-boy years.

In N. Tonawanda we lived on Westbrook Dr in Wurlitzer Park - where I learned "refinement"!  :argh:

Bibbidi -  as far as Tonawanda goes, my fav day of the year was the TNT game - especially when we won - which wasn't often!! 

Remember the old Star Theater & Jenss Dept Store at Twin Ton?  I worked for Jenss when they opened Eastern Hills Mall & then transferred to the store at Summit Park when it opened.  My mom worked at Jenss at the Blvd Mall when it opened and stayed until we moved to Fla in '73.  Al and our other brother worked at the Blvd Mall Jenss in the shoe department for a time.  I loved Jenss!!  Before we moved to Fla I had a "career" at Bell's IGA on Hopkins Road.

The Buffalo area was a great place to grow up!!

You're from Cheektowaga?????  My other brother (not NTSammy5) lives in Cheektowaga near the airport!!

I grew up in Tonawanda...THS Class of '73. Sure do wish they could ship Ted's Charbroiled Hot dogs!!

Snakes....you can keep them. They scare me to death along with spiders! :rofl2:

I started to say that Y'all northerners had some strange city names, then I got to thinking about my local area. Estiffinulga, Telogia, Two Egg, etc.  :argh:

Uh....Sopchoppy, Thonotosassa...Tallahassee...Apalachicola....Kissimmee...Chattahoochie....Weeki Watchee....Wauchula....just to name a few!!

Bibbidi -  as far as Tonawanda goes, my fav day of the year was the TNT game - especially when we won - which wasn't often!! 

Remember the old Star Theater & Jenss Dept Store at Twin Ton?  I worked for Jenss when they opened Eastern Hills Mall & then transferred to the store at Summit Park when it opened.  My mom worked at Jenss at the Blvd Mall when it opened and stayed until we moved to Fla in '73.  Al and our other brother worked at the Blvd Mall Jenss in the shoe department for a time.  I loved Jenss!!  Before we moved to Fla I had a "career" at Bell's IGA on Hopkins Road.

The Buffalo area was a great place to grow up!!

I played in the high school band so we got the pleasure of attending all the football games. Funny, I don't remember our team winning many of the TNT games...LOL! I worked at Twin Ton (in downtown Tonawanda) for a while...loved those old creaky wood floors. Spent many an afternoon at the Star Theater and the Riviera Theater (which has been beautifully restored). Do you remember Cramer's Hardware store with the "zippy line" canister that they put your money in and it went back up to the office then "zipped" back with your change in it? My grandfather worked for forever at Spaulding Fibre and my father at Western Electric. My mother still lives in Tonawanda so we are back in the area frequently. BTW, we have the Tuscarora to thank for the name.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program of Snakes!  :argh:

I vaguely remember Cramer's - more in name than anything else.  When I was a kid it was always a treat to drool at the candy counter at G.C. Murphy's.  I took dancing lessons at the Elk's Club. 

Last time I was back in the area was in March 2001 for Al's oldest daughter's wedding.  They had their pictures done at the Riviera and I was astounded!!!  In my time it was a decrepit, nasty theater & we always opted to go to the Star.  I forgot all about the creaky floors at Twin Ton!!  Thanks for the memory!

Next time you go back you need to get in touch with Al & meet up....cause you know..... It's a Small World After All!!!

We had a corn snake come up through the plumbing one in the house I grew up in. I could not understand why my mom came out of the bathroom screaming her bloody head off.  Once she made all of us girls stand on top of the bed, I called the backdoor neighbor who was the fire chief at the time to come over to kill the snake for my mom because she said it was poisonous.  I never got to see. It u til it was dead.  Needless to say I was pretty mad at my mom when I found out it was not the snake she was touting and I could have taken it out of the house myself. :banana:

Just because many of my fellow fiends comments regarding snakes I decided to try a new approach. While out for a walk this afternoon at work I came across a Northern Water Snake laying on the warm street about 5-10ft from me. Well I figured hey I'll be nice to this snake & get him off the road with a big stick, before he gets run over by a semi. I hadn't even made a move toward the damn thing & it tried to bite me. The friggin thing was nuts. So I decide I'm just going to cross the road & the damn f***** thing is going crazy. At this point I'm back to my old thinking, wanting all snakes to disappear. Along comes a truck which trys to avoid the snake & it trys to bite the truck. In the end he met a Subaru that well did try to avoid him. I tried to be nice & it just didn't work.

Just because many of my fellow fiends comments regarding snakes I decided to try a new approach. While out for a walk this afternoon at work I came across a Northern Water Snake laying on the warm street about 5-10ft from me. Well I figured hey I'll be nice to this snake & get him off the road with a big stick, before he gets run over by a semi. I hadn't even made a move toward the damn thing & it tried to bite me. The friggin thing was nuts. So I decide I'm just going to cross the road & the damn f***** thing is going crazy. At this point I'm back to my old thinking, wanting all snakes to disappear. Along comes a truck which trys to avoid the snake & it trys to bite the truck. In the end he met a Subaru that well did try to avoid him. I tried to be nice & it just didn't work.

If a northern water snake is any kin to a Florida Water Moccasin, it's no wonder it tried to strike out & chase you. Water Moccasins are extremely aggressive and will chase a leaf blown by the wind if it feels the leaf is a threat! It's best to leave water snakes alone and let them take their chances on the road like everyone else!! :rofl2:

For Phyllis:

IMG_0386-1.jpg

Here is our juvenile water moccasin we encountered today.  He was small, but they pack a deadly punch.  I made sure I kept my eye on him!

Hey Jen Thats a Banded Water Snake! I Have been relocating reptiles for the last ten years for a living and I have seen many Cotton m Mouths and even more Banded Water Snakes. They look and act very much the same' the only 100% way to tell them apart is the water snake has round pupils and the moccasin has slitted ones like a cat but judging on the picture its a water snake. But remember a snake is a snake is a snake!