I'll put a picture in for you in a little while.  I am posting from the iPad and don't have the camera.  We also had a blue crab come right up to the edge of the water and beg for bait.  He got two pieces of shrimp's head for his trouble. :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wondered bout snake away, if the snakes are already under the house, will that keep them there??? Moth Balls are the same thing and are 1/4 the price, smell it.

This is what I remember about coral snakes..."red and yellow, kill a fellow"  "red and black, friend of Jack"  thats how we were taught the difference between a coral snake (poisonous) and I can't remember the other kind. Maybe a hognose? There were lots of snakes where we grew up.  I'm sorry, but we still kill the poisonous ones. And just if your curious, rattlesnakes will swim in salt water. :banana:

This is what I remember about coral snakes..."red and yellow, kill a fellow"  "red and black, friend of Jack"  thats how we were taught the difference between a coral snake (poisonous) and I can't remember the other kind. Maybe a hognose? There were lots of snakes where we grew up.  I'm sorry, but we still kill the poisonous ones. And just if your curious, rattlesnakes will swim in salt water. :o

King snake is the other. FYI, king snakes eat other snakes..

King Snake

KingSnake.jpg

Coral Snake

CoralSnake.jpg

This is what I remember about coral snakes..."red and yellow, kill a fellow"  "red and black, friend of Jack"  thats how we were taught the difference between a coral snake (poisonous) and I can't remember the other kind. Maybe a hognose? There were lots of snakes where we grew up.  I'm sorry, but we still kill the poisonous ones. And just if your curious, rattlesnakes will swim in salt water. :o

They don't really like to, but if forced, they will certainly do that, especially if they have parasites on their scales.  They won't come in your boat as readily as moccasins! 

Normally the rule is, snake in water, human not in water.

There are several similar to the Coral Snake - the Scarlet King Snake being the one most likely to be confused for the Coral Snake

b128f_c6e4a_coral_snake.gif

The Milk Snake is another

syspila5.JPG

So is the Red Rat Snake

RedRat.jpg

Ooooohhhh!! I'm LOVING this!!!  I got "dissed" on the other place one time because I posted about the differences in coral snakes, king snakes, milk snakes, and red rat snakes.

Although I don't traipse though the fields and woods like I did when I was younger, I LOVE nature!!

Michael, moth balls will work about as good as snake stop.  No matter what you use, make sure your little sweetheart can't get her hands on it!!

we call them corn snakes, we had lots of them at that house, we were up against a woods.

I found skins from them in the attic many times, once I found 2 complete ones, one 6 ft one 7 ft needless to say, I threw moth balls around every once in a while after that.

Corn snakes are good to have around.  They eat field mice and they don't bother anyone.

When I was a kid I went outside real early in the morning and found a garter snake.  Knowing my dad loved snakes I caught it and took it inside to show my dad.  He and mom were still in bed.  I woke them up to show them the snake.  My mother let out this blood curdling scream that scared the poop out of me!!  It scared me so badly, I dropped the snake.....in the bed....with my mother!!!

:)

My father had to save my life that day!

I had just too many at my old house it got to be a pain in the ass, every time I went in my shop I had so look all over before I did anything. I hate reaching for something and feeling that cold slimy skin.

Once I too a guy home with me at lunch time to sharpen his mower blades and as we went through the door I said "wait a second while I look for snakes". I heard a "WHAT???" :)  and wouldn't ya know it there was one curled up in the corner Well it took me a while to dig him out of the corner and when I brought him out the door the guy was all the way on the other side of my property. :)  From then on he just left them in my truck and I brought them back the next day.  :)

I had huge black racer that I would let come in and out of my garage.  He did a good job of keeping the wildlife (mice) out of my garage until two red shouldered hawks in our neighborhood had him for breakfast under the front of the motorhome. 

Now I'm definitely rethinking any desire to move to the south. There are two things I hate one is spiders & the other is snakes. They both creep me out & I'm only dealing with what's up here in New England. Last night we found a wolf spider in the house & well needless to say he's dead. All those big ass snakes would be a bit much for me. Hell garter snakes aren't even aloud to survive when I find them. I don't know how you all do it. After seeing this thread I'll never walk around my campsite without a flash light again on our overnight stops too WDW. 

I don't mind snakes, except for the major startle/shriek factor when they're unexpectedly somewhere they're not supposed to be (like sitting on the shelf in the garage right outside the door from the house).

A couple summers ago, I looked out and saw our neighbor's dog barking and worrying something in the grass. I went out -- it was a baby bird, just gotten her feathers, but not yet able to fly. I heard birds going crazy in a nearby pine tree, and when I went over and looked up inside, I could see a nest. I figured the birds were freaking b/c this little one had fallen from there.

My kids and I rigged up a bucket on a rope. Put the bird inside. I started climbing the tree, holding the end of the rope. We figured when I got high enough, I'd hoist the baby up and put it back in the nest.

So, I'm halfway up the tree (back in the 'day, I used to be a wiz climbing all the crabapple trees back in Cheektowaga...turns out it's a little bit harder all these years later), look up above toward the nest, and I see a weird branch. Didn't think much of it, keep climbing, look again to see how close I am...realize the weird branch is gone -- realize a split second later it was a big, fat snake and the birds were going crazy because it was attacking their nest. So now I'm in the tree with a bucket and a baby bird and waiting for a snake to drop down on top of my head.

I kept yelling at the kids, "Do you see the snake?! Where's the snake?! Someone has to find the snake!!" and by this point I'm kinda stuck in the tree, not knowing if I should bail or what.

In the end, got the bird back in the nest (there was one matching baby bird left), the kids said the snake came back down and was chased by the birds, and I was digging pine sap out of my skin for the next three weeks.

Moral of the story: I don't mind snakes, just not when I'm in trees with them.

I used to be a wiz climbing all the crabapple trees back in Cheektowaga...

You're from Cheektowaga?:rofl2:?  My other brother (not NTSammy5) lives in Cheektowaga near the airport!!

I grew up in N. Amherst & N. Tonawanda!! NTHS Class of '72!!

Small world - but I knew I liked you for a reason!!

Here's a link you, and all fellow former Western New Yorker's will enjoy:

https://www.buffalofoods.com/home.htm

I am very tolerable of non-poisonous snakes, unless Mama's around! Rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottonmouths..not so much. My little doxie (he's gone now) was bitten by a ground rattler when he was just a puppy, I guess it was a dry bite or he would have surely died. He was pitiful, his little cheeks swelled up and he looked like a bear.

Last spring I let Lola out and she walked right over a copperhead. I screamed for Chris and got Lola inside. It was dark and I wasn't sure what kind of snake it was and didn't want to kill it without being sure. Chris wasn't gonna take chances with Lola and he killed it. After I brought it in to the light, I was glad he did. It was on my front stoop. As tiny as Lola is, I don't think she would survive a bite.

I used to be a wiz climbing all the crabapple trees back in Cheektowaga...

You're from Cheektowaga?:rofl2:?  My other brother (not NTSammy5) lives in Cheektowaga near the airport!!

I grew up in N. Amherst & N. Tonawanda!! NTHS Class of '72!!

Small world - but I knew I liked you for a reason!!

Here's a link you, and all fellow former Western New Yorker's will enjoy:

https://www.buffalofoods.com/home.htm

I grew up in Tonawanda...THS Class of '73. Sure do wish they could ship Ted's Charbroiled Hot dogs!!

Snakes....you can keep them. They scare me to death along with spiders! :argh: