When we ordered our new camper from RV direct 5 weeks ago (almost 6) - we were told the lead time would be 6-8 weeks maybe earlier and that she felt "optimistic" we would have the camper earlier. Now - they are telling me it will be 10 - 12 weeks perhaps longer. I feel taken - the buyers agreement says that the completion date is not guaranteed but I should think I would be able to take the salespersons lead time as an accurate estimate. I am so angry right now - we have reservations for the 4th and if I have to lug a tent to PA I may hurt someone. Right now I wouldnt recommend RV direct to anyone. They better some through before the 4th.

I ordered an Aluma 548 utility trailer back in March with a delivery date of 6/1. Called the dealer today to see where we are with the delivery date and it has been pushed back to 7/1. :argh: I really miss not being able to take the GC to the Fort to do some "freeloading".

Not that you bought the wrong way but rv direct is not a dealer. You are dealing with someone who agrees with a manufacturer to buy X amount of units at a certain price. Once they sell a unit to you and have your deposit they no longer care what dae you get it. I almost bought my first camper thru them because they were a bit lower and I thought it was good but I found another model at a better price. Good luck getting it on time. Maybe you'll get lucky.

I find it very hard to believe that RV Dealers/Mfgs are that busy in these times. I really do. Especially with new trailers. I can see used trailers but not new.

But then again, I have been wrong once before I think.

I have to agree with you on this

Sorry guys but would be wrong on this one. Not only is it peak season but there is a parts shortage right now. Everything from refrigerators to wheels are in short supply. Mike has had to wait 5 weeks for certain size tires, and fenders.

Wow did not know RV parts were in short supply. Learn something every day.

There is a parts shortage because RV sale are so lite for the past 3 years many of these parts companies have gone out of business. I read last month that 2 real big RV sales companies just closed up 1 had 500 new units the other had around 200 both had brand new 2007's

They may hold orders until they get enough of a backlog on a specific product to justify building them. WIth all the changes in the RV industry in the last few years I doubt there is a lot of flexibility in their scheduling.

I had a guy in Montana ask me about window parts for his trailer (same model as mine) because he had broken part of it and was told that the manufacturer was no longer in business and parts were unavailable, both of our trailers were less than 3 yrs old.

It's really out of their hands. If the manufacturer is running behind for what ever reason the lead times can stack up fast. The Roo I had ordered from them in 2009 was delivered to them within the standard 6-8 weeks they tell you. Problems arise when the sales person just keeps giving the standard 6-8 week delivery without ever asking the manufacturer. They may be very busy just from what I saw with the Jayco's I was looking at in March. They were flying off the lot faster than I could get ahold of the salesperson at their Albany facility. They told us the units were moving fast this year & they couldn't keep them on the lot. The one we bought which was the only left had just gotten there within days from the manufacturer. So I tend to believe that the manufacturer may be swamped. I would be steaming mad if they were going to be that late with the order. Have you asked them to confirm the unit has even been put into production?

I had to pick up part s at my dealer today. I started talking to the only two sales people there. I asked about how sales are. They both told me we slow and we don’t go to RV show any more because they only sell five RV‘s and it doesn’t cover the cost. I asked about the report about high RV sales. One said all company’s were forced to buy floor plans up front this year. She told me floor planes are the contracted # the company has to buy to keep their dealer ship. She said they had to buy a 2 acres lot to park the over flow

I would be steaming mad if they were going to be that late with the order. Have you asked them to confirm the unit has even been put into production?

I am steaming mad at this point - mostly because I feel duped by the sales girl - I guess it was her tone of voice - "probably earlier!" - when all along I believe she knew. I will ask about the unit being put into production - thanks for the tip.

That is soooooo true.. I would move my fema trailer way out of the area.. if they would let me! I think there is a guy right now at RVACATION that is living in a fema trailer.. it has about 4 small windows and no tag and is VERY BASIC. It breaks my heart to think of the hell he went through and now is living it that crap!