Need To Buy Dh An Ecv But They're Pushing Powerchairs...

It's finally time. After not being able to get from the parking space to the mall door without stopping the other week, DH has finally agreed to use an ecv. Doc will approve it so I called a couple of places to see how this whole thing works. We've rented before but never needed one to call our own.

I called 4 local places who sold ecvs and powerchairs. None of them were terribly helpful. FInally ended with the scooterstore, who also insisted what he needed was a powerchair. He needs something for outdoor use - the mall, wdw, DD's school, ect. He gets around fine inside the house and needs to keep using what's left of his muscles while he still has the ability. He wouldn't use a powerchair inside - at least hopefully not for many years yet - but he can't walk any distance without muscle fatigue and the risk of falling.

To get him to accept the idea of regularly using even a scooter is a major achievement. In the past when he's rented, both he and the ecv sat more than left the room, and I wasn't permitted to take pictures of him in the ecv. It's taken us a long way and a lot of adjustments to get to the point of considering buying one for keeps but here we are.

Can anybody explain why the huge push to buy a powerchair now before it's actually neccessary, as opposed to something that will actually meet his needs at this time? Any suggestions for dealing with the salespeople perhaps?

Check Walgreens on-line and you can order them at and have it shipped to the store. They have a wide assortment and a couple are very easy to pack up. That is where we got Linda's. There is a caveat if he is on Medicare they won't cover the portable ones for some reason, at least that is what we've heard.

Thanks for the walgreens suggestion. I wouldn't have thought to check there. It looks like that'd be easy enough to do and just pay for out of pocket perhaps if neccessary.

I'm not sure what the issue is with buying an ecv vs the powerchair. The lady at the scooterstore said medicare wouldn't approve a replacement if his needs changed before 5 yrs had passed but he doesn't have medicare yet, just his original primary ins, so I can't see why that'd be an issue anyway.

4 out of the 5 dealers I talked to wanted to do an in-home evaluation/visit too. Is that just to pad the bill or could it be required by the ins company? I can't imagine why we'd need an in-home eval when he doesn't plan to use anything inside the house. It just seems like a waste of time and money when he's able to leave the house to pick up or whatever.

Pam - Talk with his Dr and/or physical therapist (if he has one) to see what they recommend and why they are making that recommendation. My insurance requires a Dr to write a script for anything orthopedic related before they will cover the cost.

My DH just had knee replacement surgery (second knee coming up on 6/21) and needed a quad bottom cane. I just bought one. Walgreen's said if I had had a script my insurance (BC/BS) would have paid up to $60.00 for a cane. Thank goodness I found what he needed on sale for $24.95. But - who would have thought to have a prescription written up for a cane?

Some insurances do require in-home evaluations. Some companies like to pad the bill :argh: Do you know what your insurance company requires?

We have never had a patient requesting an Ecv, but we have had plenty that had the Scooter Store calling us about the powerchairs. We tried to be helpful, but for whatever reason, we seemed to have a difficult time dealing with them so now we tell our patients that they need to have their pcp take care of it.

I would never have thought of Walgreens. What a good idea.

Good luck!!

My dad has had to use a ecv now for 10 years due to bad back surgery. He has had a 3 wheeled ecv , a power chair, and a travel scoot. http://www.travelscoot.com/. His favorite was the 3 wheeled ecv. How ever if your husband can still walk ( my dad can not ) you may want to look at the travel scoot. They can weigh as little as 35 pounds so you won't need a lift to get it in and out of your car and he can ride in any bodys transportation because it folds up so small and no lift is needed. The down side to them is no reverse and the are not made for off road use. They really need a paved surface. Out of all his scooters I like the travel scoot because you feel more like your playing with a toy instead of being handicap (my dad likes that part of it to). Hope that helps. My dads least favorite is the power chair because it's just like being in a wheel chair.

Ok..here are a few things to think about and this comes from personal experience...(sorry, this is long-winded)

Insurance: In order for most insurance companies to pay for durable goods your doctor will need to write a script. Take this to your mobility store and all/or a portion of the cost will usually be covered. However, some companies will not cover anythimg else for mobility issues once you get a chair/scooter. For instance..if you need a walker but already have a scooter the insurance company will "assume" you already had a walker to improve your mobility issues and no longer need one. Each insurance company is different so be sure to check. Some states even have differing insurance laws that your company must follow. You will also want to know the policy on how often insurance will pay for a replacement scooter/chair

Personal Usage: In general, scooters are difficult to manage indoors as most require a larger turning radius than electric chairs. They are also bulker when it comes to transporting them from place to place (think ramps or a lift). Yes, they do have travel size scooters but some of these are on the small side for larger sized people. Look at weight and the ability to take apart for the person that will be DOING the loading/unloading and breaking down of the scooter/chair. Electric chairs will turn "on a dime" and well suited for use in confined spaces. You can pull an electric chair much easier up to a table than a scooter. Electric chairs are allowed in all places wheelchair accessible...scooters may not since they are bulkier and you may have to transfer to a manual chair (as you have to at many places in Disney). There are big electric chairs and small ones for travel

You need to determine what your needs are, not just for the present, but also plan for the future as decent chairs/scooters are not cheap. You need to have a good degree of comfort with whatever you choose especially if, in the future, you will be spending more time in the seat of one. This is why an evaluation is a good idea. You will end up looking at all aspects of using a mobility aid, help in determining how it will function for you, as well as, the person who will be assisting you loading, unloading, breaking apart, etc. Insurance companies and GOOD mobility stores have trained personnel that can help you make an intelligent and informed decision. Then, afterwards, you can decided if you want to purchase an inexpensive unit from a Walgreens to give it a try or move to a more durable, long-lasting unit from Pride, Merits, etc.

I personally, use an electric wheelchair for similar issues as you. At WDW I would absolutely HATE having to use a scooter, park it, transfer to wheelchair, go on the ride then do the reverse when done. The only ride requiring me to transfer to a manual chair to get to the ride is POTC. If you have a scooter many of the rides do not allow them up to the loading area. When we go to restaurants I stay in my chair and go right up to the table. I have very little difficulty (except for dodging strollers and kids that want to play chicken with me) when on the move at WDW or shopping in stores and can fit neatly between the racks of clothes, etc. My chair breaks down for travel and fits in our compact hatchback car.

Again, these are my personal observations. Its wasn't an easy decision to make and took quite a bit of studying, asking questions and talking to the insurance company. I didn't want the chair either as I don't look like I have a disability. I didn't want to be one of those that people say "look at her shes just faking it to get a handicapped space by the door or to get to the front of the line". But I decided it was more important to live my life to the fullest possible and that included going to WDW with my grandchildren and keeping up with the rest of the world. To do that I needed to use a chair and keep being as independent as possible. For now I only need it for the "long distance" stuff and not around the house. In the future I will need it more and more...but that's for another day and, right now, I just take them one day at a time.

Feel free to PM me if you want more information or if I can be of support as you work your way through the maze of mobility scooter/chairs and insurance.

• 2 weeks later...

hey tri-B….I saw those wheels…

I am still fighting this dilemma…chair or scooter…

I am still leaning toward the scooter….but understand the chair…

I am trying to figure out what will work best for me being alone and loading on my truck or travel trailer when I have both on the road…..I am thinking about putting a hitch on the back of the TT to put a hitch mounted carrier there….

But….I haven't done anything yet….looking…..

…..I am thinking about putting a hitch on the back of the TT to put a hitch mounted carrier there….

Hey Craig....if you put hitch on back of TT would that be considered as a triple tow? I think that would be illegal in some states?

Would a ramp up into the TT and store inside when on the road or ramp up into the back of your truck work?

We have a TH so already have a ramp but we also have a hitch mounted shelf thingy which doesn't pull behind but sits up above the bumper sort of like one of those deer-hunting racks that could be added to the TH or TT if we wanted.

I know an older couple with a powerchair that has one like it on their smallish pickup truck. Is that the kind of thing you were thinking about Craig? That seemed like it would work to us but it would definitely add to the weight/length... not sure about the handling with one of those...

Pam…exactly…

a hitch mounted carrier…could carry a scooter, a generator, bikes….diamond plate cargo boxes….a bambi or bullwinkle carcass….

I am travelling light…going to do some mods in the TT also…will weigh the rig and get it right….

Probably going to pull the dinette and sofa out of the TT…customize office/dinette and full size recliner lift chair….replace existed sleeper sofa with jacknife sofa and place on non slide side….plenty of thoughts going on…..maybe a lift and a wider door….

I saw a platform lift that rides a single pole mounted to the side of the TT….

Plenty of grab rails inside….

dreams….too much time on my hands….

• 1 month later...

My husband has MS and fought using a scooter for years. Finally convinced him and he loves it. We are on our 2nd scooter. The first one we bought was large and heavy, the 2nd smaller and lighter. He does not need the scooter in the house, only when he has to walk long distances. The smaller scooter is not as comfortable but definitely does the job. We bought a harmar scooter lift that fits into the hitch of the vehicle so no interior space is used for the lift itself. We have used it at WDW and on cruises and never had a problem. Our insurance would not pay for it, only for a powered wheelchair. He does not look handicapped and can walk short distances and feels less handicapped in the scooter.

• 1 month later...

Hey No Regrets,

We have a chair lift mounted on the side of our MH. When traveling, only the pole and motor remain. The chair and swing hinge remove for storage elsewhere. Now this is a chir that lifts, not a lift for a chair, although I have seen those also. Still want to meet you some time.;

• 1 month later...

It's finally time. After not being able to get from the parking space to the mall door without stopping the other week, DH has finally agreed to use an ecv. Doc will approve it so I called a couple of places to see how this whole thing works. We've rented before but never needed one to call our own.

I called 4 local places who sold ecvs and powerchairs. None of them were terribly helpful. FInally ended with the scooterstore, who also insisted what he needed was a powerchair. He needs something for outdoor use - the mall, wdw, DD's school, ect. He gets around fine inside the house and needs to keep using what's left of his muscles while he still has the ability. He wouldn't use a powerchair inside - at least hopefully not for many years yet - but he can't walk any distance without muscle fatigue and the risk of falling.

To get him to accept the idea of regularly using even a scooter is a major achievement. In the past when he's rented, both he and the ecv sat more than left the room, and I wasn't permitted to take pictures of him in the ecv. It's taken us a long way and a lot of adjustments to get to the point of considering buying one for keeps but here we are.

Can anybody explain why the huge push to buy a powerchair now before it's actually neccessary, as opposed to something that will actually meet his needs at this time? Any suggestions for dealing with the salespeople perhaps?

Does your husband have ALS?