Why You Don't Keep Pets Loose In Pop-Ups

I was working for the local KOA this weekend. One of the campers came into the office, telling us that the dog from the site next door was loose. She put it on its tie-out, but its owners were not in the CG and she didn't want the dog to get away. Turns out the owners put the dog in the p'up and then left for some local attractions for the day. The dog kept pawing at the side of the p'up and managed to undo a section of velcro and snap-down, then wiggled out the gap.

Ahem, they invented indoor kennels for this, people! Take care of your dog!!

What Rob said. nodding.gif

I've had friends whose dogs even fell out of the tent ends during the night before.

Luckily they were camping at our friends' farm and the dogs didn't go anywhere - but in a strange campground...

Bz once fell out of the tent end of the hybrid while we were setting up. They were always crated when we left them in it. Being border collies, all it would have taken was one of them figuring out how to get out once ... which would probably have taken all of 4 minutes.

On our first long trip in our pop up, many,many years ago...We took our kids and our yorkie, B.J. camping in Colorado. We wanted to take the train from Durango to Silverton, but we couldn't leave our dog alone in the camper. We knew he would get out .. He was a Houdini! So we hired a babysitter for the dog...we could barely afford to go on vacation..and yet, we scraped together enough money to pay the babysitter. At that time, you had to pay for hot water in the showers, so...we all took cold showers...but the dog didn't get out and we all had a good time, including the dog.

Once, a long time ago in our pre-kid days, we were tent camping with our two beloved dogs. During the night, we woke up to the sound of an animal snuffling outside the tent, and we freaked. Of course, it turned out to be one of our dogs, who had somehow Houdini'd her way out and was now trying to figure out how to get back in.

I don't even like leaving our current dog in the travel trailer alone, but I'm a neurotic paranoid anyway.

Our Shih Tzu is allowed to roam in the TT alone, but the Lab never is. She is on her tie-out, outside. If the weather turns bad and she needs to come in then she goes to the kennel. If we leave camp for any reason, we have both dogs in their kennels, then locked in the TT.

What was really brainless was that the camper in my OP actually has 2 dogs. The other one was in a kennel at the time. They just believed that the older one would be mature enough not to try to escape. It freaked him out when he came back to camp and found the dog on the tie-out, when he knew he had left her in the p'up. Maybe that jolted him into buying the older dog a kennel. They were camped right next to the entry road. A big moho or 5'er would have run over it, and never even felt the bump.

We have a collapsible cage for our puppy. I would never leave her to wonder the HTT, that would make for an expensive chew toy!

Yep. Our Lab could eat that and still be hungry for dinner.

Sorry but in most cases I am for leaving most dogs at home. Before I get flamed there are responsible pet owners out there but the people that pulled in next to us at FW last week had a dog. When they left it barked and cried so loud we could hear it from inside their MH all day. Then when they came back they would sit behind their camper with the dog and every time we went outside it would bark and bark. I never heard them tell it quiet once .

I'm glad they weren't there all week.

I was working for the local KOA this weekend. One of the campers came into the office, telling us that the dog from the site next door was loose. She put it on its tie-out, but its owners were not in the CG and she didn't want the dog to get away. Turns out the owners put the dog in the p'up and then left for some local attractions for the day. The dog kept pawing at the side of the p'up and managed to undo a section of velcro and snap-down, then wiggled out the gap.

Ahem, they invented indoor kennels for this, people! Take care of your dog!!

I helped look for a dog that opened the door to its MOTORHOME at Stone Mountain. The dog was a ShitZu! It doesn't have to be a popup! :rofl2:

The in-laws border collie was able to open the TT door until they rigged it so he couldn't pop the latch.

And people think living with a smart dog is a GOOD thing?!?! :blink:

btw, totally agree about irresponsible pet owners. I don't want to listen to my own dogs barking, I sure as heck don't want to listen to anyone else's. And the very few bad apples (at least in our experience) give a bad name to the rest of us. :argh:

We do what it takes to make sure our guys are good, quiet neighbors. It means extra work and time spent, but we feel it's worth it for the privilege of bringing our dogs camping.

Drives me nuts when people couldn't give a rat's patootie about their neighbors... be it their barking dogs, their screaming kids or them being total jackwagons.

Drives me nuts when people couldn't give a rat's patootie about their neighbors... be it their barking dogs, their screaming kids or them being total jackwagons.

Usually all three - total jackwagons with screaming kids and barking dogs. Don't forget that they leave trash all over their site (and usually all the ones around them) ...

The entire time we have had Natasha she has have full run of the pop up, never crated or caged. She thinks the pop up is her "crate" We leave the A/C on and the music on low and she is happy to sleep all day. Now that she is older (close to 13) the sleep is longer and longer. Now, we just picked up a second German Shepherd Dog and I do believe he will be staying in a crate in the pop up. He will be going on his first camping trip this weekend so we will see how things work out.