Help With Cheerleading Shirts For My Daughter Please!

Good morning Fiends...

I need help or advice or something! LOL

Here's my story...

My 6 year old daughter is starting Cheerleading in the fall for our school district. I took her yesterday to get fitted for her uniform and while there, they had a "Spirit Sale" with items that have little slogans on them. They said it's "optional" but of course ALL the other little girls get these items and wear them on specific days etc. so if I don't get her some then she's left out. Now, I have never cared about being different than the crowd, but this is different. Ali is a special needs child (she has a neurological condition called Tuberous Sclerosis) and while she's not shy, sometimes, she gets left out by similar aged girls because she takes a little longer to understand. So anyway, these items all appear to have been made by one of the other moms and she's charging a ridiculous amount of money for simple items that could not cost that much to make. Not that she's not entitled to make some money, but it feels a little like gouging.

I have two issues:

1 - there's no way I can afford what she's charging (signing Ali up to BE a cheerleader already put me in the poor house :-)

2 - because of Ali's condition, I'm concerned about her keeping up with everything and what if they don't want her to be a part of it at some point or she gets frustrated and wants to quit. So then if we don't finish, I'm left with expensive dish rags.

So I'm thinking I might be able to make something similar fo Ali.

Some of the shirts have what looks like a sparkly vinyl type stuff that she cuts out in the shape of a cheerleader's megaphone and then cuts the letters out of the center. Does anyone know what that sparkly stuff might be? And do you think I need a special machine to do that? I know there's that Cricut machine, but that is way out of my price range. But maybe there is another way. Also, some of the items have little rhinestones that spell out words on a pair of jogging pants. Is that something I can get at a craft store and what kind of tool do I use for that?

Any help you guys can offer is GREATLY appreciated!

Unfortunately most of the little girls will have all that stuff. From my experience with my dil (who doesn't have as much money as the other moms), its alot of competition between the moms. Now, that being said...my granddaughter loves it. My dil buys a few of the things (mainly to figure out how they did it) and then she goes to the craft store. You can buy everything you need at a good craft store such as Joann's Fabric or Hobby Lobby. The megaphone cutout might be from one of those cricut machines, but the jeweled sayings can be bought or put on in any pattern with individual hot fix stones and the special hot fix applicator wand. The moms will probably have special shirts for themselves also...such as Allie's Mom, etc. Done in the team colors of course. As far as the routines, you might want to learn them and practice with your daughter so she can keep up. Have fun and don't let the other moms intimidate you.

Thanks for your responses!

It is sad. And, you are right on about the mom t-shirts. There were several at the function yesterday. Which is great...it's supportive and fun. But it seems a little unfair that in order to be included, you have to sell a kidney so you can afford it. IDK...if I had the money, maybe I wouldn't think it was so unfair.

I love crafting and would love to get an embroidery machine or a Cricut, but until that time I'll have to find another way.

I appreciate your help!!

You can watch the sells and get t-shirts,etc. for pretty good prices and embellish them yourself. You can actually cut out any emblem or letter you want and use fabric glue, patch glue or stitch witchery to apply it to the fabric. Then, if the edges are rough, you can use hot fix crystals or glitter fabric paint. My dil bought cheap flip flops and made big bows in the team colors and glued them on. Everybody wanted a pair after she did that. I did notice on the mom shirts, that someone was selling them, but alot of the moms made their own unique shirts also. There are alot of good sources on the internet on how to make different things and they don't have to be expensive. Another new technique on applique is ragging the edges. That would work on t-shirts or sweat shirts.

I'm not very good at it but if you send me some images, I'd be happy to do some thing up for your daughter, I HATE HATE HATE pagent mom's. My girls did cheerleading for 2 years, there are lot of mothers out there who are genuine about the kids experience and then you have the "other mothers". It's MHO that they are trying to re live their youth. I was so happy when my girls decided it wasnt for them and started doing softball and soccer. Again, I dont have much to offer but I'll happily put together something if you wanna try some iron on transfer type designs ;)

I'm not very good at it but if you send me some images, I'd be happy to do some thing up for your daughter, I HATE HATE HATE pagent mom's. My girls did cheerleading for 2 years, there are lot of mothers out there who are genuine about the kids experience and then you have the "other mothers". It's MHO that they are trying to re live their youth. I was so happy when my girls decided it wasnt for them and started doing softball and soccer. Again, I dont have much to offer but I'll happily put together something if you wanna try some iron on transfer type designs ;)

Oh, Judy. That is so sweet of you!

I agree that some of those moms are trying to make up for something they missed out on. I have never been into the cheerleading thing...even as a teenager. But my thoughts for putting Ali into it now is because of her condition, I'm worried about girls being mean to her when she gets further along in school. I figure the larger her base of friends now, the more likely those friendships will continue into the more advanced grade and the less likely she will get picked on. It's probably wishful thinking, but I've got to give it a try. We're doing girl scouts too.

And honestly, she was BEAMING when she tried on her uniform yesterday. She can't wait to start and is so excited that even if it cost a million dollars, I'd sell the kidney. :heart:

I sincerely appreciate your offer. I am touched that you would give up your time to help.

I have no idea how to put images or pictures on here but the colors are green and white and they are the lions. Anything you come up with would be perfect!Here's their website too http://www.sftyca.org

There is certainly no rush, as she doesn't start anything until August.

Thank you again. As they saying goes..."You've got a friend in Pennsylvania"!! :wub:

I have a cricut, so if there are any images I can cut for you just let me know. I have about 20 cartridges and am not very good with the layering. But I can send u a list and you can go on their website and see if there is anything you want and let me know.

Just had a thought if I cut something for you, I can cut it 2xs so you have a pattern if you want to cut it again. Just let me know.

I have a cricut, so if there are any images I can cut for you just let me know. I have about 20 cartridges and am not very good with the layering. But I can send u a list and you can go on their website and see if there is anything you want and let me know.

Just had a thought if I cut something for you, I can cut it 2xs so you have a pattern if you want to cut it again. Just let me know.

Lornaduck, that would be so wonderful...you don't even know! Thank you so much for the kind offer!

Can you please tell me what material I buy for you to cut? lol I am clueless about this whole thing, but I have made shirts with iron on transfers before for my daughter's MAW trip to Disney. Is it sort of the same?

I would really and truly appreciate it if you would be willing to send me the list. You can email it to me if you would like. Thank you so much!! I don't even know how to express how grateful I am to all on this board who have taken the time to respond and to offer their help. Fiends ROCK!!

Lornaduck, that would be so wonderful...you don't even know! Thank you so much for the kind offer!

Can you please tell me what material I buy for you to cut? lol I am clueless about this whole thing, but I have made shirts with iron on transfers before for my daughter's MAW trip to Disney. Is it sort of the same?

I would really and truly appreciate it if you would be willing to send me the list. You can email it to me if you would like. Thank you so much!! I don't even know how to express how grateful I am to all on this board who have taken the time to respond and to offer their help. Fiends ROCK!!

I will send a list within the next few days. Do you want to do iron on's on shirts? I will go to the cricut board and find out what is needed. I think there is iron on vinal. I have some vinal but it isn't iron on. I could ask Jen and she would probably know, becuase she does that all the time. give me an idea of what you want to cut and I can do a search on my gypsy and see if something come up. It is no problem at all to cut what you need and send it to you.

I found a couple places that sell the sparkly transfer paper...do you think this is what that mother used?

June Taylor Paper

Purple Chimp

Both can be used with an ink jet printer on light color material. Then you cut out and apply with heat to shirt.

It looks like they are the same paper but the one from AC Moore is 2x the price of the June Taylor order direct. But then you have to pay shipping.

Really expensive as you only get two 8 1/2 x 11 sheets. AC Moore has coupons in the newspaper ads and sometimes online for 40% off regular prices.

There is also a sparkle vinyl which is thicker, you cut out the design and apply....but you really need professional heat application machines with this material.

Hope this info helps. Sending some pixie dust :fairydust: and good luck to you and your daughter!

I HATE pageant moms too!!! and my daughter is now grown up with two boys of her own!

Once again, Lornaduck, thank you!! And there is no rush since she doesn't start until August.

Karla - thanks for looking! I think it's something more like what I found here :

http://www.specialty-graphics.com/decosparkle_holographic_heat_transfer_film_from_specialty_materials_19xbythefoot.html

I'll have to keep looking.

Oh, Judy. That is so sweet of you!

I agree that some of those moms are trying to make up for something they missed out on. I have never been into the cheerleading thing...even as a teenager. But my thoughts for putting Ali into it now is because of her condition, I'm worried about girls being mean to her when she gets further along in school. I figure the larger her base of friends now, the more likely those friendships will continue into the more advanced grade and the less likely she will get picked on. It's probably wishful thinking, but I've got to give it a try. We're doing girl scouts too.

And honestly, she was BEAMING when she tried on her uniform yesterday. She can't wait to start and is so excited that even if it cost a million dollars, I'd sell the kidney. :heart:

I sincerely appreciate your offer. I am touched that you would give up your time to help.

I have no idea how to put images or pictures on here but the colors are green and white and they are the lions. Anything you come up with would be perfect!Here's their website too http://www.sftyca.org

There is certainly no rush, as she doesn't start anything until August.

Thank you again. As they saying goes..."You've got a friend in Pennsylvania"!! :wub:

No worries dear! I'm working from home today as my baby isnt feeling well, this will keep me busy while she's sleeping! Do you want her name on anything or just Lions?

No worries dear! I'm working from home today as my baby isnt feeling well, this will keep me busy while she's sleeping! Do you want her name on anything or just Lions?

Either would be great!

Her name is Ali.

Thank you again!!!

just found this post on the cricut boards Michaels has glitter iron on vinal, it isn't cheep but if you send me your email thru private message I will look for coupons for you and email them to you. let see if the link works

http://community.provocraft.com/Cricut-Community_postst78024_Found-some-glitter-transfer-sheets-fabric----love-them--update--used-the-pink-one.aspx

that is the link to the tread it is in, you might have to register with the cricut community to see the picture. I am not good with posting pictures, so I am sorry. let me know if you were able to see it.

Hold on, there is no reason that on this board with all the talent that is here that you should have to pay a fortune for anything. I am almost positive that I can order that green metallic glitter vinyl and cut it on our cutter here. If you will get me the shirts, and make sure you get the coupons from Michaels so that you get a good price, and ship them to me, I will make them all up for you. I actually had to go and hire a seamstress to make my toddler football jerseys because a cheerleading company bought put the company that was the last remaining company that made them in the US. They are now taking eight to ten weeks because cheerleading all takes precedence. Anyway, get the shirts, send them to the lockbox and if you can get pictures of the kids wearing the shirts or more pictures of different designs, consider it done. Just get the shirts, Fiends helping Fiends will take care of the rest. Pm me if you need to.

I will let you put the ribbons on. (I am not much into burly frilly, but I think you already figured that out!). I can ship them to someone good with ribbon when I am done...we can make them very jealous if you like....

Ok, who's in?

Hold on, there is no reason that on this board with all the talent that is here that you should have to pay a fortune for anything. I am almost positive that I can order that green metallic glitter vinyl and cut it on our cutter here. If you will get me the shirts, and make sure you get the coupons from Michaels so that you get a good price, and ship them to me, I will make them all up for you. I actually had to go and hire a seamstress to make my toddler football jerseys because a cheerleading company bought put the company that was the last remaining company that made them in the US. They are now taking eight to ten weeks because cheerleading all takes precedence. Anyway, get the shirts, send them to the lockbox and if you can get pictures of the kids wearing the shirts or more pictures of different designs, consider it done. Just get the shirts, Fiends helping Fiends will take care of the rest. Pm me if you need to.

pyzamawesome.jpg

I emailed her a coupon to Michael's today. I forgot you can get all kinds of vinal. Whatever I can do to help. I emailed her the list of cartridges I have for the cricut. But you can make anything. So anyway I can help I will

I am missing the artsy crafting gene (along with the spelling gene),but I push a mean broom. Wish I could help, but sounds like you have some great experts around here. :banana:

Fiends being Fiends, thanks for helping out like usual. :heart:

Lorna - I have no words for you other than the most truly heartfelt THANK YOU !!! I'm honored!

You guys are amazing!!! :worship:

The lady actually put pictures up on the cheerleading website of the stuff she's selling. You can see them here http://www.sftyca.org/spirit_sale_17.html

Whatever you need me to do, just let me know! I got the coupons you emailed me and the list of the cartridges. We have a busy day tomorrow, but then I'm gonna sit down and look at everything.

Thank you for your help!!! :hug:

Fiends make my heart happy!!1 :heartsmiley:

Jen can do amazing things, she has a better cutter than I and makes shirts all the time. Let her know what you need and she will do it. I will cut whatever you want me to as well. No rush whenever you have time

I just looked at the web site, a lot of the stuff is with crystals, I do have a machine that will glue them on, haven't used it yet so don't know how good I am at it. The peace and love should be easy, they sell those at Michael's, the lion if jen could make some sort of a template I could try it out. I think the best bet is the vinal iron on, the triangles with the letters cut out look like a cricut cut. so look thru the books of the carts I have and you might find that.

Jen can do amazing things, she has a better cutter than I and makes shirts all the time. Let her know what you need and she will do it. I will cut whatever you want me to as well. No rush whenever you have time

I just looked at the web site, a lot of the stuff is with crystals, I do have a machine that will glue them on, haven't used it yet so don't know how good I am at it. The peace and love should be easy, they sell those at Michael's, the lion if jen could make some sort of a template I could try it out. I think the best bet is the vinal iron on, the triangles with the letters cut out look like a cricut cut. so look thru the books of the carts I have and you might find that.

The vinyl is mine....I wish she would have made my life a little harder...geesh. Ok, I will stop picking on the cheerleader wannabe shirtmaker woman.

Here is where I get my vinyl

http://www.imprintables.com/catalog/categoryinfo.aspx?filter=64&search=&type=q&keywordoption=all&cid=2&fltrdesc=

They have LOTS of colors in metallic, including that green you are looking for. I order it by the roll because we have a 24inch cutter here. It is what I use to make the lettering for the Snarky shirts. We also use it for the lettering for our football and basketball jerseys. Your daughter is going to be one decked out girl. I see why she is trying to gouge everyone, the metallic is not cheap, but she must be wasting a heck of a lot of it if she wants those prices, or she is just greedy. Go get the shirts. Let us get your daughter decked out. Hell, go get a bag or two as well, we will deck her out in style. I haven't seen a cheerleader yet that didn't have 17 duffle bags with her, lol.