Fort Halloween Site Decorating Contest - I want the damn Ribbon

OK - two years ago - I was disqualified from the Halloween site decorating contest - no reason given.  The CM's came by the site - gave my husband a (lovely) snow globe for my effort but told me that I would not be allowed to compete for the prize.  Unfortunately I was not at the site at the time or I would have pressed for more information (i.e. blown a fit, cried like a baby).  I don't want no stinking snow globe - I want the Ribbon.  In your experience - what has the winning site had that the judges really admire.  Is it the Disney elements?  Is it the scare factor?  Special effects?  Thanks for your advice Fiends. 

I wasn't there - It could have been "TheBird" for all I know - bawhahaha - It's one of those moments I just can't take back ya know.  If had been there instead of cruzing around on my trycycle - (yes - thats what I rock at the Fort) - then perhaps I would have my ribbon.  Instead - all I have is this: 

2j283gz.jpg

I keep it above the toilet in my guest bathroom.  Like I said - Its lovely - I know they were trying to be nice - but I wanted to win for my effort - not be disqualified for some unknown reason.  SO I want to go in with a plan to win this time.  Do you think my home made decorations just can't hold a candle to the store bought crap?  Do you think because they are home made I just run the risk of being disqualified again? 

When the Government first threw us all money in the initial stimulus package that was going to save us all from financial ruin ? I wanted to give that check right to a small business. So my husband and I own two 3 speed Workman tricycles.  I can?t ride a regular bike for medical reasons and I wasn?t going to be seen on a tricycle alone so my husband has one also.  They are challenging to ride ? they are heavier than a normal bike ? sturdy ? built to last ? FOREVER.  I wouldn?t want to ride them around town but around level campgrounds they are perfect.  I can put Ice, beach gear, small children in the basket ? no problem.  People like them also ? so much so one was stolen briefly the first night we brought them home.  Now we lock them whenever they are visible ? but they are easy to lock up because they don?t need a bike rack ? they stand on their own and we just run the lock through the wheels ? no one wants to carry one of these bad boys.  Here is a picture of my husband with his ? at the time he had my son on the back with his tandem bike.

28s0bk7.jpg

LOVE IT! I am not a good bike rider.....I have crashed a couple of times at the fort, and yes always around a crowd of people  :) My husband keeps telling me I would do better on a tricycle, but I'm 4'10" and not sure if I could reach the pedals! My regular bike is a kids! lol!

Al I know is that the pirate ship was the[glow=red,2,300] MOST AMAZING THING I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!![/glow]

I would call and ask for the rules direct from the horses mouth so to speak.... talk to one of the bus drivers or maybe the guy that runs the rake on the beach in the morning....  :popcorn:  Seriously, call and talk to a manager and get it straight!  And take LOTS of pictures of the construction and final  project for those of us who will not be at the fort for a long long time to come :)

Whip I never knew you  got disqualified. What really sucks is that your stuff wasn't some chinese inflatable. The duct tape maybe lol. Just goes to show you people don't appreciate hard work. I know all of us who were there enjoyed it.

Whip.... In the opinion of many people at the Fort, you did win!!  The proof is that your ship stayed at the corner of the 700 loop - near Settlement Depot, until it disintegrated.  You know we are there all the time and your ship was probably the most photographed of any decoration at the Fort.  Who cares about the ribbon??  That was just the opinion of a few Fort cast members.  You won "The People's Choice" award!!  :banana:

Whip.... In the opinion of many people at the Fort, you did win!!  The proof is that your ship stayed at the corner of the 700 loop - near Settlement Depot, until it disintegrated.  You know we are there all the time and your ship was probably the most photographed of any decoration at the Fort.  Who cares about the ribbon??  That was just the opinion of a few Fort cast members.  You won "The People's Choice" award!!  :banana:

When we were there this past Halloween a bunch of kiddie lifeguards were giving out the awards in the middle of the night. If they had anything to do with the judging what can you expect?

Al I know is that the pirate ship was the[glow=red,2,300] MOST AMAZING THING I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!![/glow]

I would call and ask for the rules direct from the horses mouth so to speak.... talk to one of the bus drivers or maybe the guy that runs the rake on the beach in the morning....  :banana:  Seriously, call and talk to a manager and get it straight!  And take LOTS of pictures of the construction and final  project for those of us who will not be at the fort for a long long time to come :tool:

also pm tiggerinbama

she enters the Christmas contest and is in site 801 every year

she goes ALL OUT... and would be able to help you probably more than any CM

Was yours the pirate ship down toward the settlement TP in 2009?  I wish I could remember the premium loop number. If that was yours you did a wonderful job.  Now I need to flip thru my Disney pics.

It was in a premium loop for a while - after our stay was over in loop 1500 - we were going to throw it in the trash but there was a very nice lady who wanted to keep it on her site for Thanksgiving so we moved it down there.  I told her it probably wouldn't last but I think it made it a couple more weeks.  It looked like this during our stay.   

2v84ggz.jpg

Here is my husband moving it to the premium loop - kind of funny actually - kind of like it was sailing:

16bx7xw.jpg

We had to construct new sides for our trailer at the campsite because we left it behind but I was happy because more people would get to see it - here it my poor husband - woodworking in the loop 1500 site:

2rfvwiq.jpg

The man really does love me.

Perhaps if the judges just aren't qualified for this type of thing - I should really focus on the Golf cart parade.  Perhaps something that we can display at our site all week but then it is mobile for the parade.  Do they give a ribbon to the winner of the parade?     

Thanks all for your kind words - I accept my peoples choice award and I will attempt to move on.  I guess having grown up in the 4-H fair system makes me hungry for those awards ribbons . . . a little competitive - LOL. 

I would call and ask for the rules direct from the horses mouth so to speak.... talk to one of the bus drivers or maybe the guy that runs the rake on the beach in the morning....  :dance:  Seriously, call and talk to a manager and get it straight!  And take LOTS of pictures of the construction and final  project for those of us who will not be at the fort for a long long time to come :dance:

also pm tiggerinbama

she enters the Christmas contest and is in site 801 every year

she goes ALL OUT... and would be able to help you probably more than any CM

Whip I was there and I thought you had it won, But needless to say, I never won either, I wanted the ribbon and tried for several years to win it, they change the rules every year and then wait a few days before and change them again, I finally gave up and quit entering because we had gotten so big, I thought it wasn't fair to the others( that didn't go all out and had good displays)for me to win it. I love the people coming up and asking about how we did this and that, and meeting new people. We even have snow on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I put it up for the kids, and the people now, because they love it. I just had to finally get over not getting the ribbon. They pick who they want and that' s it.