TCD's Kickin' Off Summer 2011 @ The Fort Trip Report

We campers are a strange breed, but some are stranger than others :rofl2: I knew about the noses and teeth to tell the difference between Chip & Dale but I learned something new from your report again. I never noticed the eyebrow difference. Thanks for the education :banana:

Agreed about the strange breed. I don't think there are many, if any, campers who are trying to impress anyone else. A campground is a place where you can be comfortable and be yourself.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who never noticed the eyebrow thing. Now that it has been pointed out, it is very obvious. It's strange that after seeing these dumb chipmunks a hundred times I never noticed it on my own.

TCD

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to be a short little post.

I only have 35 photos left to share.

So, we will look at 5 in this post, and then the last 30 will be up later today.

And, then this report will be in the books.

I left off with us ducking out of the movie to head to the beach for the EWP and Fireworks.

We made it with time to spare.

The EWP was fine. But, we had no audio for the fireworks. That hasn't happened to us in a long time.

Here are two fireworks photos for you:

100_0830.jpg

100_0831.jpg

After this, it was more looping.

On our journey around the Fort, we passed by the pool around midnight.

I noticed this sign earlier in the evening, and wanted to get a photo:

100_0838.jpg

100_0837.jpg

This appears to have been officially posted, as this was a piece of Disney equipment:

I never noticed a big group in the pavilion during the day, so I don't know what this was all about.

There were still folks enjoying the pool at midnight:

100_0839.jpg

Well, that's it for this post.

Next up, it's Sunday morning, and we head on home.

TCD

They used to play a classic short cartoon before each feature film. But, that apparently has stopped. Too bad. Those old short cartoons are the best.

The opening credits to Tangled featured good old Steamboat Willie:

100_0818.jpg

I thought that was neat. That little mouse was the precursor to all of this. It's amazing if you think about it.

TCD

My kids love Steamboat Willie, and your right, it was the precursor.

Remember the scene in Saving Private Ryan where the German prisoner was trying to talk his way out of being shot by his captors? He starts spouting off all kind of phrases and he says "Steamboat Willie, toot, toot".

My kids have never seen that movie obviously, but they have heard me say that several times and now they do too, every time it comes on.

My kids love Steamboat Willie, and your right, it was the precursor.

Remember the scene in Saving Private Ryan where the German prisoner was trying to talk his way out of being shot by his captors? He starts spouting off all kind of phrases and he says "Steamboat Willie, toot, toot".

My kids have never seen that movie obviously, but they have heard me say that several times and now they do too, every time it comes on.

That's a great story!

It's too bad the Main Street Cinema in the Magic Kingdom is now just another gift shop.

I used to almost always take the girls in there on every visit to the MK. They always played Steamboat Willie at some point. Maybe they still do, but you have to stand in a gift shop to watch it. They explain the significance of Steamboat Willie in the One Man's Dream film over at Hollywood Studios. It is truly amazing to think about how that little film changed everything for Walt and his company.

TCD

Well, this is it.

The last of the photos from this trip.

These are all from Sunday morning, June 12th.

Since it is June, old man sun rises early.

He beat me by just a bit this morning:

100_0840.jpg

100_0841.jpg

I had a bit of time before the coffee would be ready at Trail's End, so I looped around a bit.

I checked for loose kayaks at the Bike Barn:

100_0842.jpg

It looks like they remembered to lock them up last night.

Then, I snapped a few photos of a great set-up on the Class C on the 700 loop:

100_0843.jpg

Look, they have a real screen door on their screen room, and an awning for their awning:

100_0844.jpg

I have never seen such a set-up. Pretty cool. But must be a PITA to haul around.

These folks also had a great Mickey and Minnie lamp:

100_0845.jpg

I say good job on all of that!

Guess what?

We are back at Bay Lake.

Not again, you say?

Well, I have recently made a point of visiting there every morning. And heading to the Settlement that way.

Why, you ask?

Because once they get started on the new dining pavilion, I won't be able to do this anymore. Yes, I will still be able to visit the dam (I hope), but I am not going to be able to zip down the pedestrian trail. In fact, I kind of doubt that there will be a pedestrian trail any more.

Until then, here's the lake:

100_0846.jpg

100_0847.jpg

Those two photos would make a nice panoramic photo, wouldn't they, Norm?

Hint.

Hint.

Here we are down by the marina. I needed a photo of this sign:

100_0848.jpg

So I could re-post this photo from my April visit to the Fort:

101_0147.jpg

That guy walked right past that sign before wading out into the lake.

Where is that uncooperative gator when we need him?

Here's a shot of the marina building. I think this building looks just right here:

100_0850.jpg

This is what you see if you turn to the left from where that photo of the marina building was taken:

100_0851.jpg

This is the area where the new dining pavilion is planned to go. Right in those woods there.

Turned just a bit to the right from that shot, you can see the corner of the Settlement Trading Post in the distance:

100_0852.jpg

Here's one more look at the woods:

100_0853.jpg

And now we are turned back looking toward the East. The sun hasn't quite peeked over the tree tops here:

100_0854.jpg

I decided to see whether anything was going on behind the Settlement Trading Post. There is a path that goes along the north (Bay Lake) side of the building toward the back. It looks like the fishing guides keep some of their stuff back here. There is a gate toward the back of the fenced in area, and a gate, through which I got this shot:

100_0855.jpg

Otherwise, there is nothing to see here.

I took this shot from the front corner of the Trading Post, looking west toward Bay Lake. If you look just right of center in this photo, you can see the stump of the Lawnmower Tree. It looks white because it no longer has any bark:

100_0856.jpg

Now we are in the same area turned to the right. I think all of this fencing is going to be gone, and this area will be more open once the planned construction is done:

100_0857.jpg

Here's another shot of the same area:

100_0858.jpg

And another. The azaleas at the bottom of this photo are right in front of the Trading Post:

100_0859.jpg

When the new dining pavilion gets built, the area in these last few photos is going to be substantially changed. All of the area behind the Lawnmower Tree is going to be cleared and made into a golf cart parking area. I kind of suspect that the Lawnmower Tree will be removed in the process.

Here we are in the area between the Trading Post and Marina, looking toward Bay Lake and the Marina:

100_0860.jpg

Same area, once again looking toward the Lawnmower Tree:

100_0861.jpg

Here is a closer look at the good old Lawnmower Tree. Enjoy it while you can:

100_0862.jpg

Here's a look at the Settlement Playground. I don't think there will be any changes here as the result of the new dining pavilion:

100_0863.jpg

These photos depict the area that is going to become a golf cart parking area:

100_0864.jpg

100_0865.jpg

100_0866.jpg

100_0867.jpg

100_0869.jpg

100_0870.jpg

I headed over to Trail's End for my coffee after this.

Where I ran right in to the Mayor.

We had a short conversation.

By Mayor standards.

Which means I was there for a while.

And, then I had no more time for photos.

I had to head back and get packed.

Which is what I did.

And then we left.

That's it.

Another TCD TR is done!

I'll launch the next one in a couple of days. I have to scan a couple of new documents, and upload a few hundred photos.

You know.

The usual.

Until then, TCD is out.

TCD

These photos depict the area that is going to become a golf cart parking area:

100_0864.jpg

TCD

Another great report Andrew!

It sickens me that this area will be the new golf cart parking area. I love taking the kids through those trees directly to the beach. And it is such a nice view the way it is now.

Oh well, I know change is inevitable, but it will still be sad.

Can't wait for your next one!

Tom-

I think those trees along the back of the beach will be spared. At least I hope so.

Fellow Fiend BayLakeCampers created this great overlay for a thread that was discussing the new construction in the Fort Construction area of FF.net:

UCc4K.jpg

Click on the photo, and it will enlarge. You will be amazed at the detail you can see.

Here's a link to that thread for anyone who is interested: New Pavilion Discussion Thread

It looks to me like most of those trees will be spared.

It also looks like possibly the Lawnmower Tree will be in a landscape island.

TCD

Yes.

That is exactly what this means.

So, turn that frown upside down!

TCD

smiley.jpg

Great job as usual! One of these days I hope to find you at the fort again, other than you (and Tom), I'm usually the only one up early in the morning. Maybe we can sit on the tavern porch with coffee and BS.

That sounds good to me.

Except don't get too close to Tom when he has a full cup of coffee.

Right, Tom?

TCD

That's just wrong!

But it's what happens when you are trying to ride your bike, drink coffee, and holler to get TCD's attention as he is blazin by in his super fast GC. :rofl2:

Well played though!

LOL!

I'm sorry I mentioned your coffee spill, Tom.

S70- That is the best smiley yet!

Am I Moe?

TCD

The funny thing is, I made my boy dump out his half cup of hot chocolate because I didn't want him to have a hard time riding his bike with it.

You think he gave me an earful about that?

The funny thing is, I made my boy dump out his half cup of hot chocolate because I didn't want him to have a hard time riding his bike with it.

You think he gave me an earful about that?

I'll bet he gave you an earful.

Your son is great.

I heard him giving you grief about your shorts.

What I can't tell is whether that comes from you or Mrs. anolefan?

Maybe you better not answer that.

TCD

Continuing on . . .

I thought the eggs were reasonable, but I just saw them on sale locally for $.99 a dozen:

100_0626.jpg

I think this is a good price for milk ($2.95 a half gallon), especially when it's the same price they charge for a 1/2 liter bottle of water:

TCD

All very interesting points (as usual). I've often thought that there was a direct correlation between perishability (if that's a word) and the real world price that Disney charges. If they price Milk at $10 gallon, they might end up losing more dollars in spoilage, than they reap from ridiculous margins. Unfortunately for me, beer has a somewhat extended shelf life. :popcorn:

Great job as usual! One of these days I hope to find you at the fort again, other than you (and Tom), I'm usually the only one up early in the morning. Maybe we can sit on the tavern porch with coffee and BS.

You meet them for coffee in the morning and I'll meet you in the afternoon for daiquiris :rofl2:

Good report, TCD.

I have it on good authority that the lawnmower tree will be removed during the construction of the golf cart parking lot. But in it's place, within the landscape island depicted in the drawings, will be an animatronic replica of the original full size tree, including a lawnmower, as well as tiki birds on the branches that interact with people as they pass by. However, this tree will have a mischievous side to it, and will occasionally reach out and grab unsuspecting naughty children.

Here's an artists' conception of it.

HP2470-2.jpg

Ok, maybe I don't have that on good authority. Or on any authority, really. But that's what I want to see happen.