The importance of seat belts and safely securing your dogs!!!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wanted to give this a bump because it happened a year ago this weekend and I thought the message bears repeating this time of year when so many of you are traveling. Original post is here

Go Koda! Go Dolly! Go to the Fort! Welcome to the best board around.

Posted Images

Wow! I'm so happy that everyone is ok!

I'm kind of at a loss for words after reading this. All I can continue to say is I'm so happy you all are ok.

Thanks Tom! It's been a surreal few days and I think we're still a little shell shocked, but continue to be incredibly grateful.

Was the toilet clean? :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Um... well it WAS before it went flying, but somehow it wasn't quite so clean when it landed.

Coincidence?

I think not.

:rofl2:

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy.... :rofl2: :heart:

Amen to that!! :)

I saw the skid marks (ON THE ROAD PEOPLE) today. That was not pretty. Couldn't imagine doing that kind of skid in a 50 foot total truck and trailer combination.

All I can say is just WOW!

Dan

For sure, Dan. We've driven by twice now on our way back from the salvage yard and we're still shaking our heads.

The thing we really don't understand is how crushed the roof by the drivers seat was and yet 1) we clearly didn't completely roll over and 2) I never whacked my head on anything!

In fact Brian has the worse of the injuries - whacked his temple on the overhead grab handle, massive bruise/scrape on his "outside" arm.

All I've got is what looks like a really bad scrape above my elbow, a smattering of cuts from the glass on my arm, and a cut behind my ear (likely earring related)

It's just freaky.

Just want to add how happy I am that you two and your pups are safe. I will rethink the dog being loose in the car.

Thank you very much - and please do!

Every time one of my knuckleheads bounces past me the last few days or I see Bz snuggling up against Brian in bed (daddy's girl all day long) I think how amazingly lucky we were and how things could (and no doubt would) have SO much worse if they were loose in the car.

Hell, if you just see the picks of my purse and WDW tote - both of which went flying out of the car and down the road 50+ yards.... I just can't imagine if that had been a 40-ish lb pup. :(

HELL NO!!!

Ain't no way, no how we're missing...

1) 3 weeks at the Fort/WDW - which we now need maybe more than any other year

2) Halloween GG with about a bazillion Fiends!!

3) 3 weeks at the Fort/WDW!!!

I've told Brian I'm going in a tent if I have to, but realistically we have some serious scrambling to do.

Just finding a suitable tow vehicle we can afford is going to be a trick. Our Navigator was not super expensive thanks to Brian's connections, and really was a great vehicle. It's going to be tough to replace with what we're likely to get for it. The thing that probably bugs Brian the most is he finally had it "perfect" after doing about $8k of warranty work on it just recently. (yeah, that REALLY bugs him!)

When it comes to the TT, so much relies on how we make out with the insurance company.

Hoping and praying they just total it. We have all the insurance you can on it (including gap to cover what we owe) so that would be the best outcome for us and also allow us to get a new one asap. If they decide they're going to fix it...

:-[ :-[ :-[

That'll likely mean probably not having it back before our planned trip in a little over 3 months. Hell, we'd be lucky to have it back by next spring....

And honestly, based on what we can already see (and have photos of) we don't want this one back.

We know that there's an identical model sitting at the dealer right now. In fact we may go put a deposit on it.... just in case.

Keep all your fingers and toes crossed. Adjuster is supposed to go out tomorrow...

I'm REALLY hoping that's the case.

Thing is it doesn't look bad at first glance. All the windows are intact and the slides even worked!

But it also doesn't take much poking around to see signs of much more serious structural issues - gaps in major wall seams where you can actually see daylight (incl. popped rivets); the wavy, buckled bits visible on the "good" wall; even things as simple as the French doors won't align to close even though the camper is level and they're still securely on their hinges.

The guy at the salvage yard said that most times just the act of flipping a big camper back upright usually causes a ton of structural damage. He said it looked like they did a pretty good job with ours as it didn't completely come apart like so many do.

I'll be holding my breath until we hear....

Add us to the list of those who are glad to see that you are OK. Everything else is just "stuff" and can, eventually, one way or another, be replaced or repaired.

I can't tell you how many trailer/RV crashes I've seen in the past 24 years while working I-80 in the mountains of central PA. I too would assume yours is totalled just from what it went through and what I can see of the damage. That said, it held together remarkably well. I've seen many removed from the roadway with a front loader!

Best of luck with the insurance people. I'm betting that this trailer never sees the road again.

So glad all of you are ok! I agree about the seatbelts. When Nikki was about 2, we went off the road and rolled. I've never been so glad to hear a child cry in my life. While irritating to wear, they definately save lives! I hope they catch that guy!

I just showed Mike the pictures. He says he'd be really surprised if it doesn't get totaled. :blink:

That definitely makes me feel better - thanks Mike! :)

Add us to the list of those who are glad to see that you are OK. Everything else is just "stuff" and can, eventually, one way or another, be replaced or repaired.

Our feeling exactly and actually it was our immediate reaction to everything - as long as we all (pups included) were ok, that's what mattered.

... I too would assume yours is totalled just from what it went through and what I can see of the damage. That said, it held together remarkably well. I've seen many removed from the roadway with a front loader!

We were pretty amazed at how well it held up too! Open Range is still fairly new and uses a lot of the newer composite-based materials for walls and things. The fact that it didn't blow apart completely - and that none of the windows even broke - is pretty remarkable.

Heck, even Brian's bar he built over the crates in the small slide made it out intact - and we all know how important THAT is! :rofl2:

Best of luck with the insurance people. I'm betting that this trailer never sees the road again.

Thanks! Really hoping that's the case too!

So glad all of you are ok! I agree about the seatbelts. When Nikki was about 2, we went off the road and rolled. I've never been so glad to hear a child cry in my life. While irritating to wear, they definately save lives!

I will attest to that personally! I was literally hanging when we landed - in fact I had to get a leg up on the console to unhook myself.

And seeing how crushed the roof on my side was, I can only credit the seat belt locking me in with keeping me from getting my head bashed in.

Plus seeing how far our stuff flew down the highway - it isn't a stretch to think either/both of us would have been catapulted out.

I have a nasty scrape across my shoulder/neck where the belt did it's job and kept me in the car - but I'll take it!

I'm so glad you all came out alright. We crate our dogs in the car and the motorhome for that very reason. Again, I can't tell you how glad I am that you both walked away from this accident. We have had two family members that had similar accidents that weren't quite so lucky. Not life threatening, buy serious injuries.

Quick update....

We went (back) to Campers Inn tonight and put a deposit on a virtually identical camper - 2011 Open Range Roamer 303BH. Same year (a few months newer), same model, even the same interior. A few minor changes have been made - generally all positive improvements.

We looked around to see if there was anything else out there, but this floor plan is just too perfect for us with the dogs and there wasn't really anything we disliked about it the first time around.

Still waiting for insurance to come up with the final numbers for the total on ours, but with the gap insurance we should be ok (fingers crossed)

With a little luck we can sort out at least the camper side of this mess in the next week or so.

Now to find a truck.......

When we were at the dealer yesterday we had the same salesman as before. He remembered what interior we had because we wanted it for the dogs. ;)

We were telling him about the accident and he asked if we were wearing seat belts (we were). He said he doesn't wear one.

We showed him the pics of the camper/truck on Brian's phone.

He's going to wear one now!