From the Disney Food blog...

News: Disney World Refillable Mug System Experiment

Jul 13th, 2011 by AJ. The controversy rages on over whether filling up previously purchased refillable mugs (and other containers) at Disney World self-serve beverage locations is advisable, but should Disney move forward with its new experimental system, that question will be invalid.

new-mugs.jpg

Refillable Mugs at Disney Resorts Mousesteps.com, Micechat.com, and StitchKingdom.com have reported that the new system, which uses an RFID chip to recognize whether guests are using an appropriate mug or cup to obtain beverages, will begin a trial period on July 18th at Disney’s All Star Sports Resort.

At this time, the RFID chip will be embedded into regular drink cups — allowing the guest to use the cup for only the length of a meal (around 1 hour) — as well as the refillable mugs that Disney has been selling at its resorts for years. These, I’m guessing, will be coded to work for the guests’ length of stay.

Cheating the system and using the mug to transfer large quantities of beverages to a bigger container won’t really work after this change. The system requires 5 minutes between refills.

You can see a video of the new system here:

This technology is being brought to Disney by ValidFill, who already maintain systems like this one at Sea World and on Royal Caribbean Cruise Line. They’ve just signed a 5-year deal with Coca-Cola, and say that the system will be available for use on Coke Freestyle machines as well.

You can read more about the patented technology used in this system here. To read more about refillable mugs, click here.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the site to watch the video -- don't bother! It's just someone filling their mug, lol. I was hoping they'd try to refill in under the five minute lapse time and some big cage would drop down around them. Sadly, nothing happened. The machine didn't even shut off. I don't get how it's going to restrict refills -- just not dispense?

I don't even have a dog in this fight -- never used refillable mugs. But I know there are peeps out there who whack the system -- this summer, Kangaroo did its "buy a mug, get free refills all summer" and from the buzz online, they're losing money like crazy from people cheating the system.

they're losing money like crazy from people cheating the system.

From the price of the mugs, and the pennies a serving coke syrup, they would have to cheat a LOT, just to break even! :rofl2: Plus you have to think about all the "rumors" that Coke gives WDW all the syrup for free.

Interesting. I wonder how this will work with the long-stay guests at the Fort? I see trouble ahead with this one.

I don't know how "true" this is but, I heard that Coke & Nescafe provides all the mixes & machines for free just for the privilege of exposure advertising at Disney.

I always buy the new mugs when they come out, but use them through out their life-span whenever we go to any resort. I know that's somewhat of a rule breaker, but 99.9% of the time we are buying meals, or snacks, not just pinching drinks. I would hate to think that I would have to buy new mugs each time we went to the Fort. When we get back on our regular camping schedule, once Rick has recuperated, we would be buying 2 mugs a month. That's not going to happen!! I'm glad now that I bought a Keurig for the MH.

Now to develop a "mug skimmer" to read the RFIDs off of valid cups, and retransmit any ID that hasn't been used in the last 5 minutes when I hold my cup up to the machine. At least I don't have to set up a camera to see their pin, that’s a real pain! LOL

Geez, all this effort for some sugary water?? (Don't get me wrong, I'm a self professed coke-cola-aholoic) Why have RFID in the cups. Just do away with refillable mugs and just sell the mugs as a souvenir? OS Debbie, I'm like you. I have used my mug before, but also buying other things, not just getting something to drink. It won't hurt my feelings whatever they decide.

Here's an idea: Date stamp the bottom of the cup with the check out date. Then have Mug Cops hanging out at the drink fountains checking to make sure the mugs being used are for THIS visit only.

Good grief....

I have 4 forever mugs how is this going to work for them

Well since the mugs probably aren't tranferable, you will probably have to have the chip embedded in you. BUT WAIT, you and family can get around that. Just choose a body part you really don't need so everyone can borrow it when they want a refill. :rofl2:

From the price of the mugs, and the pennies a serving coke syrup, they would have to cheat a LOT, just to break even! :rofl2: Plus you have to think about all the "rumors" that Coke gives WDW all the syrup for free.

No, this was Kangaroo, the gas station, that said they were losing money. Don't know how it shakes down for WDW.

They also want that chip linked to your bank and credit cards so they know when you are out of money so they can ask you to leave

It's more like they want to know when you have money so they can send you a special offer to come and spend it.

This is the same technology that Dollywood uses!! I just experienced it over memorial day weekend at the water park and I had a issue! My son is a big kid and I bought him and his sisters each a mug, he drank one cup of powerade straight down and went to fill up again and his mug didn't work. The man questioned him about when his last refill was. My son says "my mom just bought it for me and my sisters.." to make a long story short.. I come back with my son and all THREE mugs, blah blah blah, the man's manager gets involved because I was upset to say the least and I get a refund for all my mugs and free refills.. so moral to the story, it might sound like a good idea, but Disney could be opening themselves up to awhole lot of pain and aggravation. There is no way to enforce a set of rules consitantly without stepping on somebody's toes..

The system isn't going to be perfect. And WDW will have to address the true forever mugs. However, as a business I am sure Disney is losing potential sales from people not purchasing a legit cup each visit or using one cup to fill multiple people's outside cups.

Look at TCD's report concerning people using the Lodge's condiment station for outside purchases. I like saving money like everyone else, but lines are being crossed. And I can't blame Disney for implementing new technology to help resolve $ issues.

We complain about locals using the pavilion and pool when not paying. What is the difference of someone abusing the mug system? Both are getting something they haven't paid for..

The system isn't going to be perfect. And WDW will have to address the true forever mugs. However, as a business I am sure Disney is losing potential sales from people not purchasing a legit cup each visit or using one cup to fill multiple people's outside cups.

Look at TCD's report concerning people using the Lodge's condiment station for outside purchases. I like saving money like everyone else, but lines are being crossed. And I can't blame Disney for implementing new technology to help resolve $ issues.

We complain about locals using the pavilion and pool when not paying. What is the difference of someone abusing the mug system? Both are getting something they haven't paid for..

I agree Genia, I'm sure they are loosing money, but the chipped mugs in my humble opinion are going to be a customer relations nightmare for disney. There is soooooo many people out there already taking advantage of them (ie condiment bar guy..) they will need a whole new department to field the mug complaints so not sure how much money they will really be saved. But I'm not a smart person.. maybe they have already thought this stuff through and have the answers.. it is Disney after all.. and even though I struggle with the cost of taking my family of 7, it's my happy place!