December trip report

This is the trip report for our New Years visit. It is the longest trip we have stayed at the Fort and the most expensive. Our partial hook-up site was $89+tax a night. Not very pleasant but we wanted to be there for the experience.

Day 1- Tuesday, December 28:

This was our first trip leaving from our new home. We lived in a second story apartment for the first 1 ½ years of our marriage. All of our camping things had to be stored in the outside closet off the balcony. It was difficult carrying everything inside, down the stairs, and to the car. Now we only had to get things down from the attic and we were done. So much easier! We left home at 10am and arrive at 4pm. I had faxed a request for the 1500 loop and boy did they deliver.

P1040156.jpg

P1040154.jpg

P1040155.jpg

P1040159.jpg

P1040161.jpg

P1040162.jpg

P1040163.jpg

Christmas companion to my white rope light Mickey. It has a switch to adjust the speed of the chasing/dancing lights or can be left on still.

P1040160.jpg

We took our time setting up and went to dinner at Joe’s Crab Shack! We shared a bucket of steamed shrimp and each had a snow crab steam pot. Wonderful way to start a vacation! After dinner we visited DTD and I started a new tradition…

P1040166.jpg

Mickey rice crispy treat dipped in milk chocolate, crushed Butterfinger pieces, and drizzled with white chocolate. It took me 3 separate times to finish eating the yumminess but well worth the calories. We also had hot chocolate from Ghirardelli and headed to Walmart for some food items. Thankfully the Walmart 24/7 rule was in our favor as we returned back to the Fort at 1am.

Day 2- Wednesday, December 29:

We had a rough night weather wise. We had never camped during the winter and wasn’t sure what to expect. We had purchased layering gear at Academy and wore that under our clothes. We still needed an additional jacket, hat, and gloves along with heaters and blankets. Thankfully it warmed up as the week progressed but we had maybe 2-3 rough nights.

P1040167.jpg

P1040168.jpg

I don't think it rained during this trip but we had this bunker-like set up to try to combat the freezing wind. It's the largest tarp I've ever seen and weighs too much for me to easily carry.

P1040169.jpg

P1040173.jpg

P1040176.jpg

P1040177.jpg

Had a slow morning at the site and headed to Epcot. First thing was lunch at Seasons. I wish more counter service options compared. We briefly walked through Innoventions East and West (mostly to warm up inside) and then did some shopping at Mouse Gears. While inside, a couple handed us a pair of fastpasses to Soarin’. That was the only ride we did that day at Epcot. I was expecting crowds but was still overwhelmed. The line for the Mexico boat ride was about 2 hours and snaked around the outside of the pavilion. Needless to say, we were grateful to this couple!

We went and used the fastpasses and then left through the International Gateway to tour the Epcot resorts. Saw the Boardwalk and Yacht & Beach club before heading back to the World Showcase.

P1040184.jpg

P1040185.jpg

P1040186.jpg

P1040188.jpg

Inside the Boardwalk

P1040190.jpg

Just so you don't forget where you are, Spaceship Earth is like bam! Here I am!

P1040193.jpg

P1040194.jpg

P1040196.jpg

I waited in line for gelato for about 15 minutes and then saw this monstrosity in Italy. We saw the Illuminations barges being brought out and made our way back to the car (we only use bus transportation inside the Fort. Admittedly, we are too impatient for the bus system).

P1040199.jpg

P1040200.jpg

P1040205.jpg

It was now about 6pm and we headed to HS. We had dinner at Sci-Fi diner (without an ADR) and only had to wait maybe 15-20 minutes. It’s good to be a party of 2 sometimes. After our burgers, we walked around the corner into the Dancing Lights. Amazing.

P1040210.jpg

P1040214.jpg

Wow, you are cranking out the trip reports!

Great job!

I am a big fan of your husband's. It looks you have a great cold weather set up there.

I see from your first photo that someone else was in site 1504 when you arrived.

I think we arrived right behind you on the 30th. And we were there until the 2nd.

I looked to see if I had any photos of your site, but I didn't find any.

I wonder if you got any of mine?

From what I recall, the weather wasn't too cold during our visit.

I'm looking forward to the rest of your report.

TCD

I can't believe I just found this, a TENT camping trip report! Whoohoo, there just isn't enough of us. I really want to do new years next year at the fort but I'm worried about the weather and the cost is hard to swallow. How cold did it get? What was the weather like during the day? Looking foward to more!! :popcorn:

Wow, you are cranking out the trip reports!

Great job!

I am a big fan of your husband's. It looks you have a great cold weather set up there.

I see from your first photo that someone else was in site 1504 when you arrived.

I think we arrived right behind you on the 30th. And we were there until the 2nd.

I looked to see if I had any photos of your site, but I didn't find any.

I wonder if you got any of mine?

From what I recall, the weather wasn't too cold during our visit.

I'm looking forward to the rest of your report.

TCD

Yeah, Mr. MacGyver takes good care of us!

I didn't have any photos of your site but I remembered it after you described things. You couldn't miss all the inflatables on the way to the comfort station!

I can't believe I just found this, a TENT camping trip report! Whoohoo, there just isn't enough of us. I really want to do new years next year at the fort but I'm worried about the weather and the cost is hard to swallow. How cold did it get? What was the weather like during the day? Looking foward to more!! :popcorn:

I really enjoyed being at the Fort for New Years. The cost was hard but cheaper than any other property option. We had originally booked with an additional day but ended up canceling to save the $100. If you want to go, I'd recommend booking now and canceling should you change your mind. We decided in June '10 and booked then.

The weather wasn't awful. We had 2 space heaters, one on a table in front of the air mattress and one in the other side of the tent. We had purchased a 6 pack of foam floor pieces (I think from Walmart). They snapped together and we placed them under the mattress to help keep the chill away. We didn't have any problems there. It warmed up as the week progressed and was more manageable. Our massive tarp helped keep the heat inside as well.

The weather during the day wasn't too bad. We would wear jeans and a jacket and add more layers before we went out for the evening.

Day 3- Thursday, December 30:

I left the husband in bed this morning and I went off to MK. We had been in WDW for two days and I hadn’t gone to my favorite park yet! I spent about 3 hours in MK. It was my first time being alone in any park and it was wonderful! I did some shopping and just walked around. The weather had started to warm up; I had to take off my jacket and push up my sleeves.

P1040216.jpg

P1040217.jpg

P1040218.jpg

P1040219.jpg

P1040220.jpg

P1040221.jpg

P1040232.jpg

P1040231.jpg

P1040229.jpg

P1040222.jpg

P1040230.jpg

After leaving MK, I stopped by the Contemporary and Grand Floridian to see their Christmas decorations.

P1040233.jpg

P1040237.jpg

You can see the balloons in the top of picture. I assume they dropped them at the NYE countdown.

P1040240.jpg

P1040242.jpg

P1040243.jpg

P1040244.jpg

I boated back to the Fort from MK and we headed off to AK. Our first stop was Flame Tree BBQ. I had heard this was the best counter service in AK and we were able to use one of these coupons!

IMG_0873.jpg

We sat under a pavilion facing Everest. It was very crowded and loud. After we cleaned up and walked out, we found other dining areas that were empty. We learned our lesson and will look before sitting next time.

P1040245.jpg

We started to head towards Everest for the singles line but were stuck due to the parade route. I don’t care much for AK because the walkways are too constricted. It has a good authentic feel, but it can begin to feel claustrophobic, especially in the warmer months.

We finally broke though and rode Everest, walked the trails around the base of the Tree of Life and then headed for Publix.

I didn't have any photos of your site but I remembered it after you described things. You couldn't miss all the inflatables on the way to the comfort station!

Well, maybe if you were looking at the ground or had your eyes closed, you could have missed these:

100_1478.jpg

100_1479.jpg

100_1480.jpg

100_1481.jpg

100_1482.jpg

It's too bad that it was cold, because I'm sure I would have recognized your husband's air conditoner set up.

From now on, I'm going to keep my eye out for your lighted Mickey head, although there are always quite a few of those around the Fort.

TCD

Our plan was to cook dinner and then head back to MK for the pre-NYE fireworks and 3am EMH. During our July trip, we saw the fireworks inside MK on the 3rd and from the Poly on the 4th. We wanted to duplicate that plan for NYE. I like how they offer the same show for both nights so you can have a different perspective. Inside the park, you are surrounded by the fireworks. It’s almost overwhelming because you can’t see everything at once. From the Poly, you can have an overall view and especially see the fireworks surrounding the lagoon.

Around 9pm, we headed back to MK.

P1040300.jpg

P1040298.jpg

P1040253.jpg

P1040255.jpg

P1040257.jpg

P1040264.jpg

P1040282.jpg

Crowd control through backstage

P1040274.jpg

We rode the PeopleMover before heading over to camp out on Main Street for a viewing spot. The fireworks were to be shown at 11:50pm. We waited a good 1 ½ hours. If you want a reason to avoid MK during this holiday (other than crowds), watch these videos. It was painful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tfyCDlyIjA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQQCs9tQC7M

P1040278.jpg

Having a DJ playing club music really affected the mood for me. A majority of those songs are not kid-friendly and I didn’t care for it. It sure looked like the CM’s did!

After the fireworks, EMH had started. We picked up Splash fastpasses, rode Big Thunder, Splash, Pooh, and Big Thunder two more times before heading back. We got back to the site around 4am. No picture of 3am clock though.

P1040295.jpg

P1040290.jpg

Photopass lady looked lonely so we had her take our picture. When I viewed them at home, it was crooked and fuzzy. Thanks WDW for saving me $15!

P1040292.jpg

P1040294.jpg

Day 4- Friday, December 31:

After our MK adventure till 4am, we slept in till 11! After experiencing the crowds last night, we didn’t want to endure a park today. We hoped on I-4 and drove to the Mall at Millenia. The exit for the mall was crowded but the actual mall wasn’t too intense. We did some window shopping for a few hours and had lunch at the food court. We came back to the Fort about 5ish and got ready for a 6:30 ADR at Ohana! We drove over to the Poly and encounter some actual guarding happening at the booth. We had to give our name, show license, and have them check us on the ADR list before letting us park.

The restaurant wasn’t near as busy as I was expecting. We were given a window seat without asking. Holiday Wishes was shown at 8:30. We went down to the beach after dinner to enjoy the show.

P1040306.jpg

P1040312.jpg

P1040316.jpg

P1040317.jpg

P1040318.jpg

Now it was 9pm and we had 3 hours until the fireworks. Not a very good plan but you take what you get with Ohana ADRs. We sat around inside the Poly lobby for a while but that got boring. We decided to change our plan, just to save our sanity. We took the resort monorail to the Contemporary and found a viewing spot there. We could hardly hear the narration at all but I still thought it was a good location.

P1040324.jpg

P1040329.jpg

P1040330.jpg

The countdown/finale starts at 9:34 if you want to skip ahead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8WxYJXoUi8

Once they stopped, we hurried back inside and took the elevator to the monorail platform. The monorails made continuous loops while we were waiting for the show to start. All the trains looked empty for about an hour. A monorail showed up and was still empty. We went back to the Poly to get our car and were pulling into our site at 12:30. I was very happy we didn’t encounter any crowds. During the 4th, we took the Fort boat to the Contemporary and then monorail to the Poly. It took forever to travel back. I’d say the cost of dinner was worth it to park and avoid the mess.

Day 5- Saturday, January 1:

I’m out of pictures..

We slept in again till 11 and again decided to avoid a park. We went for lunch at Panera Bread on Vineland Rd and then to the outlet mall. No purchases, just crowds. Left after a few hours and headed to DTD. The traffic between Vineland Rd and the entrance to WDW property was awful. It took us at least an hour to span the short distance. When we finally made it to WDW, we had to park in the furthest lot past Cirque and trek to the Marketplace. We had dinner at Rainforest Café, more hot chocolate, and some shopping at World of Disney before leaving at 11pm.

Day 6- Sunday, January 2:

It took us a while to pack up and we left at 12:30. We had Subway for lunch and got back home at 8pm. I had to return to work on the 4th. My vacation was officially over :unsure:

Up next is February at the Fort. It won’t be started till Monday. I have a little something to do this weekend (like go to the Fort!) Hope you enjoyed!

Great job on this trip report!

I love your fireworks video. Thanks for telling us where to start watching for the countdown. I am still impressed with the fireworks that are shaped like numbers.

I still can't believe that we were practically next door neighbors and didn't meet.

If you ever see me at the Fort in the future, which sounds likely, please say hello!

Have a great trip this weekend.

Now you have to add another trip report to your list!

TCD

Another great report!

We were there at the same time again, but were in the 1000 loop.

I may be in the minority, but I really enjoy the photos of the Fort in the colder months, when things begin to go dormant.

I really enjoyed your photos!

Thanks for sharing.

Awesome trip report! I say kudos you ya'll for that great winter tent set up. Thanks for the video of the Osborne Family Lights. I've never seen them so that was a treat for me...however, the video of the dancing in the streets...not so much. I agree with you on the club music issue. I don't like it either and neither does H.

LOVE the Christmas decor. The one and only time I saw it all decorated was in 1989 and I wore jeans too...only they were acid wash jeans. :rofl2:

The photo of you 2 in front of the Christmas tree is absolutely adorable! ♥

Great report!! I've enjoyed it all. Thanks for sharing your vacation with us. :)

After dinner we visited DTD and I started a new tradition…

P1040166.jpg

Okay, I'm gonna say that tradition is a keeper! This picture alone would've hooked on this TR -- YUM. :parrot:

P1040316.jpg

You two are just too darn adorable! What a cute couple!

You're putting me in a Christmas-in-July kind of spirit. The heck with the heat index of 109 -- I'm feeling cooler already!

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed your trip report. You have some nice pictures. I did notice that one of your pics looking back towards the castle shows the clock. I wonder if you zoom in if you could see what time it is?

Mmm that's a good idea! I'd like to join the 3am club!

I love how Disney looks all dressed up for Christmas.

Me too! This was my first time seeing the Christmas decorations. If if weren't for the crowds and raised prices, I'd make sure we go every year.

Great job on this trip report!

I love your fireworks video. Thanks for telling us where to start watching for the countdown. I am still impressed with the fireworks that are shaped like numbers.

I still can't believe that we were practically next door neighbors and didn't meet.

If you ever see me at the Fort in the future, which sounds likely, please say hello!

Have a great trip this weekend.

Now you have to add another trip report to your list!

TCD

We had a great visit though it was too short! School has started back so I've fallen behind :(

Another great report!

We were there at the same time again, but were in the 1000 loop.

I may be in the minority, but I really enjoy the photos of the Fort in the colder months, when things begin to go dormant.

I really enjoyed your photos!

Thanks for sharing.

I agree with you about the winter months at the Fort. It's a different experience but still lovely.

Awesome trip report! I say kudos you ya'll for that great winter tent set up. Thanks for the video of the Osborne Family Lights. I've never seen them so that was a treat for me...however, the video of the dancing in the streets...not so much. I agree with you on the club music issue. I don't like it either and neither does H.

LOVE the Christmas decor. The one and only time I saw it all decorated was in 1989 and I wore jeans too...only they were acid wash jeans. :rofl2:

The photo of you 2 in front of the Christmas tree is absolutely adorable! ♥

Great report!! I've enjoyed it all. Thanks for sharing your vacation with us. :)

Thanks Kim! The lights were wonderful! I'd love to see then again soon. I believe they begin sometime in November and run through the New Year.

Oh.the.dancing...If we didn't want to see the fireworks so badly, we would have left. It was a madhouse!

Okay, I'm gonna say that tradition is a keeper! This picture alone would've hooked on this TR -- YUM. :parrot:

You two are just too darn adorable! What a cute couple!

You're putting me in a Christmas-in-July kind of spirit. The heck with the heat index of 109 -- I'm feeling cooler already!

Aww thanks! It seems that all of our pictures together are at Disney. We should probably get out more haha. Stick around, there are a lot more crispy pictures in my upcoming reports!