Hey guys, how'd you like to help Santa out? Santa has a helper who is feeling a little down and out and is thinking about hanging up the red suit. His name is Oliver, and he works at Uptown Jewelers on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom. He is an artist who paints limited edition watch faces. If you are going to the MK anyhow, would you pop in and tell Oliver "Santa really needs your help" or "the children deserve a beautiful Santa like you". Now, remember that he doesn't LOOK like Santa when working at Disney! He is clean-shaven and trim, so you'll have to go to the artists station and read the name tag. So, he will be amazed that anyone seeing him there would connect him with Santa. Oh, don't tell him who sent you... Tell him a little elf told you! BTW, this is Oliver in his Santa persona.

c6ee0604.png

Thanks in advance to any who take up this task. If you would, report back here.

Stopped in today and chatted with Oliver for a little while, nice guy.

I think he was pleasantly surprised that I knew anything about him.

I wrongly assumed that he was a WDW Santa

He told me that it wasn't the Santa role, but other things in the Santa's helper community that was the problem. Not sure what that might be.

I think his spirits were picked up little after our conversation and by the fact that there are people that care.

Another big thanks, guys! Yes, I know why he's questioning his role, and no, you don't really want to know. I'm just hoping with some positivity and encouragement he'll (we'll) be able to look past the junk and remember the kids and the real reason we do what we do. Plus, he's in a pretty competitive market... let's face it, Orlando has no shortage of retirees who can grow year round beards and could use a little extra income. Once he gets established he'll do very well, but the first few years can be tough. Thanks for helping me help him hang in there!

Well, one visit and the cat's out of the bag... Lou, don't they teach you guys ANYTHING about making magic at Disney U anymore?! It was supposed to be a SECRET as to how you knew he was Santa. You weren't supposed to give him the web address where he could find this thread. Bus drivers... tsk, tsk.

Seriously though, thanks for going to visit him, Lou. Though the magic was sucked dry, the encouragement was effective, and that's really what I was after.

Anyone else who thinks the picture above looks like a great Santa, please still don't hesitate to stop by and say "I believe in you, Santa".

I get to enjoy being Santa to kids every time I leave the house, Oliver only gets that encouragement in the Christmas season when he suits up. I really don't think I could do it without being a year-round, real-bearded Santa. I probably handed out 10 "I Met Santa" stickers just going to the grocery store yesterday.

ShantaClausSm.png

Oh, don't tell him who sent you.

I didn't tell him who sent me. You didn't say not to tell him where I heard about him.

You have to be concise when dealing with engineering types.

Besides I was off duty, so no making the magic crap.

I only make magic when I get paid to do it.

You wouldn't want me to lie to Santa, would you?

You wouldn't want me to lie to Santa, would you?

Yes, lie! Lie your little butt off! Everyone else does! "Santa, I've been an angel all year... really" Puhleeesee!

It's ok, it would have been real easy to ferret out the info even if you hadn't spilled the beans (loosed the cat from the bag, sold me out, gave up the game, blabbed) because a Google search of "Oliver, Santa, Uptown" brings up this thread as the top hit. Man it's hard to keep a secret in this digital world.

even if you hadn't spilled the beans (loosed the cat from the bag, sold me out, gave up the game, blabbed)

If he found out it was you, it was by reading your post because I didn't mention your name. I think you get a share of the blame for spilling the beans, loosening the cat from the bag, selling you out, giving up the game, and blabbing.

Are you able to give us an update?

Yeah, he contacted me and thanked me for sending the encouragement his way after reading this thread. I tried initially to deny any knowledge, but the evidence was overwhelming. But even now that he knows I'm behind it, I think it would really be cool for folks to drop by and encourage him.

(BTW, I'm assuming we are both just embracing the snarkiness, and that neither is really being testy... right? I really do appreciate your visit.)

Yes, lie! Lie your little butt off! Everyone else does! "Santa, I've been an angel all year... really" Puhleeesee!

hmmm... I resemble resent this remark... :rofl2:

BTW - Oliver, if you're reading this, count on seeing me in a few weeks... I always enjoy watching artists at work and now I've even got an excuse to stand around staring & gabbing... :dance:

(BTW, I'm assuming we are both just embracing the snarkiness

I'm hurt that you would even think otherwise..............not really.

I'm a big believer in the Snark Side. Hey, Jen, I think that would look good on a tee shirt.

But seriously, it says a lot about you for caring about Oliver, and when it comes to stuff like that, I'm all over it.

BTW - Oliver, if you're reading this, count on seeing me in a few weeks... I always enjoy watching artists at work and now I've even got an excuse to stand around staring & gabbing... :dance:

Thanks in advance, Pam! Please be sure to report back after your visit, and have a wonderful trip!

That would be great Ed. I can tell you from personal experience that receiving encouragement as Santa from a Jewish person is extra special. I had a woman and her child wait in line to see me, and when I was asking the child over to sit on my lap, Mom explained that they don't do that, "we're Jewish" but she wanted to tell me I was the best looking Santa she'd ever seen. I asked her son if he'd had fun playing with the dreidel, and if he knew what the letters stood for. I found out he was learning the hebrew alphabet, and when I started singing the alphabet you could have pushed Mom over with a feather! I actually thought for a moment that Mom was going to change her mind and get a picture, but apparently that would have been a bridge too far, but I was glad for the bridges that were crossed! Thanks for your willingness to step over a bridge to pat my friend on his back!

ShantaClausSm.png

That would be great Ed. I can tell you from personal experience that receiving encouragement as Santa from a Jewish person is extra special. I had a woman and her child wait in line to see me, and when I was asking the child over to sit on my lap, Mom explained that they don't do that, "we're Jewish" but she wanted to tell me I was the best looking Santa she'd ever seen. I asked her son if he'd had fun playing with the dreidel, and if he knew what the letters stood for. I found out he was learning the hebrew alphabet, and when I started singing the alphabet you could have pushed Mom over with a feather! I actually thought for a moment that Mom was going to change her mind and get a picture, but apparently that would have been a bridge too far, but I was glad for the bridges that were crossed! Thanks for your willingness to step over a bridge to pat my friend on his back!

ShantaClausSm.png

Awww, That made me think of my favorite movie "Miracle on 34th Street" when the little German girl didn't speak english, so Santa sang to her in German. Mom was shocked then too! Santa knows ALL! ;)

Actually, it was Dutch... which is related to German but is really a different language (kinda like Yiddish to Hebrew, AIUI anyhow). I love that little song...

♪Sinterklaas kapoentje♫

♫Gooi wat in mijn schoentje♪

♪Gooi wat mijn laarsje♫

♫Dank je Sinterklaasje♪

(oh, for those that don't speak Dutch: "Santa Claus, I beg of you, throw something in my shoe, throw something in my stocking too, thank you Santa Claus")

Ho, ho, HO!

ShantaClausSm.png

Actually, it was Dutch... which is related to German but is really a different language (kinda like Yiddish to Hebrew, AIUI anyhow). I love that little song...

♪Sinterklaas kapoentje♫

♫Gooi wat in mijn schoentje♪

♪Gooi wat mijn laarsje♫

♫Dank je Sinterklaasje♪

(oh, for those that don't speak Dutch: "Santa Claus, I beg of you, throw something in my shoe, throw something in my stocking too, thank you Santa Claus")

Ho, ho, HO!

ShantaClausSm.png

WOW!!!! Ibelievesanta.jpg