Crossroads of America Tearjerker Gathering and Beyond

I recently went on an incredible trip to places I'd never been before, met some wonderful people and also got to combine work with pleasure (so some of my fun was paid for!!!)

In addition to belonging to Fort Fiends, I also belong to a couple of other camping groups that are specific to my type of trailer.

One is tabtrailers on yahoo groups which is specific to my brand of camper, the other is www.tearjerkers.net

This group is all about camping in small trailers. Teardrops, T@Bs, Casitas, Scamps, homebuilt trailers, Scotty's, Canned Hams, you name it, they are all welcome.

Back in November, a multi-state gathering was announced up in Indiana. I had camped with the Indiana folks before and the campground was a reasonable 400 miles from the house, so I signed up. The gathering was going to be at McCormick Creek State Park in Spencer, IN.

The organizers expected 40 - 50 trailers to attend, but over the months, the excitement grew and the final tally was 141 trailers!! It took me two days of the 4 to get pictures of all the campers!!

A few days before the trip, I found out I needed to be in Sterling, VA for work the day after this gathering. I was a little stressed at first, cause that meant, I would have to rush home on Sunday morning to catch a plane. Then I got to looking around and found a fairly well-reviewed campground only 8 miles from my work location. I then looked up the mileage from Indiana to Virigina and found that driving and camping was doable!!!

So I got an airfare comparison and it turned out the airfare/rental car was going to be more than the mileage, so I could drive!!!!

So Wednesday morning, July 13th, I'm all hitched up, spend half a day at work, and head on up I-65 towards Spencer, IN.

100_2840.jpg

100_2841.jpg

Not much to report on the drive.

I stopped at a Wal-Mart about 30 miles before arriving at the campground to pick up a couple of things, and saw this parked in the parking lot.

100_2842.jpg

I asked the owner if he was attending the gathering also, but he said he had not heard of tearjerkers, but was just overnighting in the parking lot. I know a lot of folks do that, but without electric or AIR CONDITIONING, just not my thing.

I then headed on to the campground and was warmly greeted by a few folk already there and got set up.

100_2846.jpg

I already knew I was gonna be on site 104. By the way, this campground has about 170 sites and we as a group had a 141 of them, pretty impressive I say!!

100_2845.jpg

100_3043.jpg

100_3044.jpg

100_3045.jpg

100_3046.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry my Fort Fiends sign was not out front, but the ground was so hard, I couldn't get the spindly legs into the ground, so I propped it up against the trailer. Same with my Mickey Ears flamingo, I had to prop him up against the picnic table.

Awesome start - cant wait to read more!

Thanks for reading along

You faked me out with the title Carol. Oh no, tearjerker gathering, what happened? But I get it now.

Actually, there were some tears flowing, but for a good cause!!

Great pics!! I just love your setup :banana:

Thanks!!

:popcorn:

:popcorn: I'm tagging along too!

Thanks for reading!!!

I also thought this was going to be a sad report. Glad to see it's not. :):popcorn:

Like I said some very happy things came out of this trip!!

More coming in just a bit!!

Thursday and not much to tell. I had to do a bit of work, and also just napped and lazed around. It was pretty late night on Wednesday with the driving and setting up.

A lot of folks arrived on Thursday, and my camper was in a spot for a front row seat to see a lot of folks arriving. I had met a few of them over the years at the various state gatherings. I'm fortunate that I'm pretty central to the Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Mississippi chapters, so get to go to a lot of gatherings within a reasonable driving distance.

On Friday, I finally I got out and about and started taking trailer pictures. Now I won't post every one of them here, but here are a few of my favorites.

I'll post my photobucket link at the end of the trip report for those that are just dying to see each and every trailer at the gathering.

This tear was pretty ordinary, but the car was awsome!!

100_3016.jpg

This was a pretty unique setup. This family has four kids. The first few years, mom & dad were in the big tear and the kids in the little one. Now they have swapped. The kids sleep in the big tear and mom & dad in the little one! They pull these in tandem.

100_2993.jpg

100_2992.jpg

This one is georgious! An OVEN and a WINE cooler in a teardrop!

100_2973.jpg

This one was decopaged with all kinds of maps on the outside and inside

100_2970.jpg

This little trailer was pulled by a Goldwing motorcycle by a gentleman that is 85 years young!!

100_2926.jpg

Check out the woodwork on this beauty

100_2857.jpg

Here is another beautful homebuilt trailer

100_2848.jpg

100_2847.jpg

Here a guy did something similar to my big screenroom setup

100_2876.jpg

100_2877.jpg

This one actually has a bathtub inside!

100_2896.jpg

A restored classic Scotty Sero

100_2913.jpg

A brand new Scotty Sero

100_2932.jpg

A cargo trailer conversion

100_3012.jpg

Another beautiful classic restoration

100_3042.jpg

Well that gives you a feel of the range of trailers there. There are so many more!!

Wow I love when you put pictures of your outings up. I am in awe of what people do with them. I love motorhomes, but the people who own these have so much imagination and put so much love and thought into their campers,. One is nicer than the next. Glad you had a great trip.

Wow I love when you put pictures of your outings up. I am in awe of what people do with them. I love motorhomes, but the people who own these have so much imagination and put so much love and thought into their campers,. One is nicer than the next. Glad you had a great trip.

While I LOVE decorating my T@B, when I go to these gatherings I am AMAZED at the talent of these folks. Most of these are built by HAND from the trailer up. They do the welding of their own frame, all the cutting, fabricating, fitting, etc. All I did was paint my trim and put some stickers on and bought stuff. Anything remotely that involved cutting or drilling, I took to my dealer.

OK, to continue on, I spent most of Friday afternoon taking camper pictures, then it was time for the Wine and Cheese event.

100_2958.jpg

100_2959.jpg

100_2960.jpg

100_2961.jpg

100_2962.jpg

100_2963.jpg

See that yellow T@B in the background. Those folks showed up literally minutes before we descended upon them and set up tables in their "front yard".

As I said before, I had a front row seat for everything as most of those pictures were taken from my site.

Announcements were made, sponsors introduced, and reminders for the various raffles and drawings were announced. As I said earlier something very good came from this gathering, all of the raffles, drawings, and various ways to earn money were all going to be for Inflammatory Breast Cancer. The amount we ended up raising was astounding!!

A few more camper pictures:

This is a Camp-Inn teardrop. Considered to be the cadillac of manufactured teardrops (with a price to match)

100_2968.jpg

This is a Little Guy Silver Shadow. I seriously considered this camper before I found my T@B

100_2957.jpg

This is a homebuilt chuckwagon kitchen. Before I looked at teardrops and T@Bs this was what I had in my head that I wanted to do. I was a tent camper, but it was a lot of work. I wanted a trailer with a kitchen, clothes storage, and other compartmented storage, so all I would have to set up is the tent and an air mattress.

100_2942.jpg

Another Scotty

100_2922.jpg

As I said before, I had a front row seat for everything as most of those pictures were taken from my site.

Announcements were made, sponsors introduced, and reminders for the various raffles and drawings were announced. As I said earlier something very good came from this gathering, all of the raffles, drawings, and various ways to earn money were all going to be for Inflammatory Breast Cancer. The amount we ended up raising was astounding!!

Glad you scored a site right in the heart of things.

What a worthy cause! Kudos to the Tearjerkers for raising money to fight breast cancer! :heart: