"I like sleeping in the kitchen!"

Thanks. Yes they were transferred to Tampa when he got home so they will be together for a while. He found out last week that he will be going TDY next year for another year though. He hasn't found out where they will be sending, but in his 23 year career with the Air Force he has certainly seen the world ;)

I bet he has! When you talk to him again, tell him I said thank you! :heart:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job on the pace of this trip report!

But, I am falling behind!

I'm all caught up now.

First comment: Thanks for the photo and commentary on the SUV with the tribute to the Hero on the back window. You were spot-on with your comments!

Now, some comments on some of your posts:

I never thought about that! Where does the boat dock at DHS? That's a much smaller park anyway, so it makes sense! I love getting tips like this!

Per your request, here's a photo showing the Hollywood Studios boat dock, and the path you would walk to get to the FW bus stop there. It is not far at all:

HSBoattoBusStop2.jpg

Another alternative to the boat to Hollywood Studios is the walking path. Since Boardwalk is the closest resort along this path, it isn't too long of a walk, but it is a bit of a walk. I marked the path and distance on this Google Earth screen cap:

HSwalkway.jpg

To put that distance in perspective, I included the World Showcase in the screen cap. You can see that the walk from the back of Boardwalk (near the Clown Pool) to HS is about the same distance as walking from Mexico to France in the World Showcase. Not too bad of a walk.

Regarding your taxi ride, where did the driver leave you? At the Outpost? Or did he take you to your site? I believe they aren't supposed to drive in to the Fort, but I have seen plenty of taxi drivers do so. I'm just curious, as I have never taken a taxi to the Fort.

Right before we walked into the hippo area, DD looks up at me and says “I gotta go potty, Mommy.” I’m like “Okay, we’ll go in a minute”. Then I get the look. And the leg cross. And the “I’m gonna go in my pants, Mommy”. Ruh roh. I see a CM and ask him for the nearest bathroom. He looked down at DD (who looked very much like Boo in Monsters Inc. at this point) and said “follow me”. We follow a short path around a clump of trees, he let down a rope, and there was a bathroom! Wow! :banana: This must be the super-secret toddler emergency bathroom. He waited for us, so I didn't take any pics.

The show was about 20-25 minutes and they had several birds. The hosts had a pretty funny "plot" going - I do wish they had used more birds. I only took pictures of a couple because they had birds that would fly right over the audience and birds that would retreive things from the back of the amphitheater and all kinds of cool stuff! The hawk was very intimidating.

Two comments on this post:

1. That was some major pixie dust on finding a restroom at just the right moment!

2. We love the bird show at AK. But, it seems like every time we go, the show gets interrupted by a lost tour guide. I think it's hilarious! The first time this happened, I was really surprised. The tour guide sold it.

This time, Daddy gets in on the action.

SL373552.jpg

Great photo!

I think that covers things for now.

Keep up the good work.

In case you haven't noticed, you are getting a lot of views on this report.

TCD

I bet he has! When you talk to him again, tell him I said thank you! :heart:

I certainly will, Beth. People don't realize how much out troops appreciate a simple thank you :heart:

I am just loving this report, I'm torn though on who is making the cutest funny faces, your DD or your DH. Keep up the good work :banana:

There's 2 things I've not not at Disney that I really need to do and that's ride the riverboat at MK (Been going since 1972 and I never rode it) and FOW at AK. Not sure why I've never done these 2 attractions. Am I missing anything on the riverboat. I went to Tom Sawyers Island about 10 years ago and kinda thought I'd be ok if I didn't go back in this lifetime lol. Beth you are a great trip report writer. Looking forward to seeing more fun.

Per your request, here's a photo showing the Hollywood Studios boat dock, and the path you would walk to get to the FW bus stop there. It is not far at all:

HSBoattoBusStop2.jpg

Regarding your taxi ride, where did the driver leave you? At the Outpost? Or did he take you to your site? I believe they aren't supposed to drive in to the Fort, but I have seen plenty of taxi drivers do so. I'm just curious, as I have never taken a taxi to the Fort.

Two comments on this post:

1. That was some major pixie dust on finding a restroom at just the right moment!

2. We love the bird show at AK. But, it seems like every time we go, the show gets interrupted by a lost tour guide. I think it's hilarious! The first time this happened, I was really surprised. The tour guide sold it.

Great photo!

I think that covers things for now.

Keep up the good work.

In case you haven't noticed, you are getting a lot of views on this report.

TCD

Thanks for the great info on getting back to the Fort from Boardwalk! I would never had thought of that - but I think we will do the boat-DHS-bus option next time. Looked the easiest - and DD is always up for a boat ride!

The taxi dropped us off at the Outpost - at the bus stop. We didn't ask him to go to the campsite or wherever. I bet we could have, though, if we got that far. We had the golf cart at the Outpost so it really didn't matter.

We thought the tour guide was really funny at FOW show, too! I wasn't expecting it to be so entertaining!

I have noticed the viewership is growing - yay! I was worried I'd be writing this TR with no one to read it - after all, I am writing at the same time as KFK. Glad some folks are reading along! Thanks for your comments, TCD!

I certainly will, Beth. People don't realize how much out troops appreciate a simple thank you :heart:

I am just loving this report, I'm torn though on who is making the cutest funny faces, your DD or your DH. Keep up the good work :banana:

Thanks, Cherie! DH is pretty good at the faces - and I think DD is hilarious just trying!

There's 2 things I've not not at Disney that I really need to do and that's ride the riverboat at MK (Been going since 1972 and I never rode it) and FOW at AK. Not sure why I've never done these 2 attractions. Am I missing anything on the riverboat. I went to Tom Sawyers Island about 10 years ago and kinda thought I'd be ok if I didn't go back in this lifetime lol. Beth you are a great trip report writer. Looking forward to seeing more fun.

I've done the riverboat at MK once - it's okay - I wouldn't spend a lot of time waiting in line for it or anything. You should definitely check out FOW!

Thanks, Donnie! You're a good concierge! We'll be getting to that later in the report...

Hi, all! I hope to get an update done tonight at home! I'm back at work and all the pics on the whole site are little red x's. <_<

Plus all the pics are on my laptop. So, I'll try and get our Fort activities posted tonight - we got a bunch of pics.

Just got caught up. :)

My daughter loves Marie and all her other pets, too. She has a full size bed and half of it is taken up by her animals. She's not really into baby dolls but she loves stuffed animals. She can never have enough!

That's wonderful about your WL meal. Yum!

The back of the suv brought tears to my eyes. My husband used to work on helicopters in the marines. He didn't go up in them often but it always scared me to death when he did. My heart breaks for all of their families.

I am sad that we missed out on so much at Animal Kingdom. That was the day the rain came down in full force. We could have pushed through it but none of us were feeling up to be drenched the whole afternoon. But as I tell the kids it just gives us something to look forward to the next time we come. :)

:popcorn: We'll just be here waiting!

I'm coming!

And waiting :popcorn:

I'm hurrying!

and waiting ... :suspense:

Alright, already! Geez...

Just got caught up. :)

My daughter loves Marie and all her other pets, too. She has a full size bed and half of it is taken up by her animals. She's not really into baby dolls but she loves stuffed animals. She can never have enough!

That's wonderful about your WL meal. Yum!

The back of the suv brought tears to my eyes. My husband used to work on helicopters in the marines. He didn't go up in them often but it always scared me to death when he did. My heart breaks for all of their families.

I am sad that we missed out on so much at Animal Kingdom. That was the day the rain came down in full force. We could have pushed through it but none of us were feeling up to be drenched the whole afternoon. But as I tell the kids it just gives us something to look forward to the next time we come. :)

Thanks for reading my TR! I'm getting right on that update!

That is so awesome about your DH! I imagine you were very nervous when he would go up!

You sound like me "Hey - we'll do that next time!"

After enjoying some rest at the camper and DH gets his run behind him, we hang out for a while.

Time for bubbles:

SL373587.jpg

SL373591.jpg

I found those cool straws that blow bubbles at the dollar store and they worked great! DD still can’t blow bubbles in regular bottles, but the straws fixed that!

Next, we do some looping and come back to try and get DD to eat some mac n cheese. It is leftover from our first night when we were hanging out at Crockett’s Tavern. She is pretty tired at this point in the trip, despite the efforts we have made for rest breaks and getting her to bed at night. So, she’s not eating. DH does manage to get almost ½ a turkey sandwich and some Cheetos in her.

Then, it’s time to go to the campfire with Chip N Dale – DD LOVES those chipmunks! She is pumped!

We didn’t take any smores supplies – thought we could always buy the “kit” when we get there. Fortunately, there was a nice family next to us with 1000 marshmallows and they shared.

SL373595.jpg

SL373599.jpg

DD was so excited about “cooking” it, but not eating it! LOL

SL373604.jpg

SL373605.jpg

Finally, the chipmunks make their rounds! Quick – which one is this???

SL373607.jpg

SL373608.jpg

PS – I know who it is – just testing your skills…

A little “Head and shoulders, knees and toes” sing-a-long

SL373610.jpg

And we settle down for the movie: “Beauty and the Beast”. Couldn’t have picked a better choice for DD!

Gotta get the dollar store glow sticks out…

SL373614.jpg

SL373616.jpg

We had a bunch so we passed them out to some kids around us, too.

About halfway through the movie, DH and I decided those wooden benches were TOO HARD! LOL Luckily, DD was totally cool with heading back to the camper. I think DH and I picked up some frozen burritos at the post before we headed out. I’m telling you – the meal plan would be such a waste on us…

And then it happened.

I know, I know. What happened?

Well, let's back up and have a little chat. I am a huge Daddy's girl. Huge. Growing up, we went tent camping all the time. Hiking, fishing, water skiing behing grandpa's Skeeter fishing boat, riding bikes, late night campfires, playing cards under a tarp in the rain. All that. :heart:

My Daddy passed away 4 years ago. He was a big outdoorsman and loved everything about it. He was very well versed in all the types of trees and could identify pretty much any type of vegetation and trees. I feel close to him when I'm outdoors, particularly at the Fort. Maybe that's where I got hooked. He would have loved it. "You guys go to the parks, I'm gonna stay here and fish" I can hear it now.

DH has no such experiences. Without going into detail, he grew up tough. He has street cred. He enjoys the outdoors very much, but also enjoys hotel rooms with locks and security.

We are completely agreed that when we retire, we will get an MH and travel and enjoy. He's totally in on that. We just can't afford to do anything like that now.

So, here we are at FW. We get back to the camper and decide to sit outside a while. DD decides she wants her mac n cheese from earlier. Go figure. :rolleyes:

DH and I get out the cooler and pop open a couple of beers. DD settles down for some food and lemonade:

SL373617.jpg

SL373618.jpg

She proceeds to tell us all about everything. Her friends at "school" - who she wants to invite over to play - who is nice and who is not - who takes toys from others - and who cries a lot. It was absolutely precious. We were alternately laughing and crying. It was the best moment of the whole trip.

Reminded me of camping with my Daddy - we used to spill our guts then, too.

Your stories about being Daddy's girl made a lot of memories flash back. I hope Annie remembers our times when she's older. Even when her mom and I were married she spent most of her time with me. When we divorced I got into 4 wheeling and for about 2 years she was small enough to ride in front of me. 4 wheeling got us into camping because I bought my first toy hauler and then came the fort. It's fun to share what I got to do as a kid with her and I hope one day she does the same. Tell Ed to enjoy it and do it often because she will grow so fast.

SL373608.jpg

Love this pic! You guys look more excited than your daughter. :lol:

Enjoy the quiet family time. We've been taking my son to the Fort for his birthday since he was 2, and he just turned 21! Some of our favorite memories are of times when we were just hanging around chatting and doing silly things. He still goes with us every year, only know he brings his girlfriend too. I hope we can carry on the tradition with his children someday. :heart: