"I like sleeping in the kitchen!"

Great updates!

I like how you just planned to do a few things each time you went to a park. That is a great strategy, especially with kids. You can usually get the few things done, and then fill in the rest of your time with unplanned activities. Unless I missed it, it looks like you didn't quite get everything on your lists done on any of your visits so far, but you still had fun. Way to go!

I'm looking forward to the rest of your report!

Oh, congratulations on exceeding 2000 views on this report!

TCD

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a GREAT trip report!!! I think you should re-title it the "All American TR." You mention all the great themes.

1) Our awesome military - The reason we are safe in this great country

2) The Bald Eagle - A symbol of this great country (always brings goosebumps to see this majestic bird)

3) Memories of the older generation

4) Making memories with the younger generation

5) a plate with hot dog (where's the apple pie?)

6) Parade's

and many, many more.

Side note: While the bungie cords holding the grate on the beach cleaners vehicle is impressive, I have doubts that it would warrant selection as a TCD Real man of genius award. :)

Thanks! I didn't realize all that I had talked about! No apple pie, that would have been good. We did have applesauce - does that count? LOL!

That is true - not quite TCDRMOG material - I still thought it was funny. Did you see that it looks like rakes? They totally rednecked it up. And I can say that because I am redneck. ;)

Great updates!

I like how you just planned to do a few things each time you went to a park. That is a great strategy, especially with kids. You can usually get the few things done, and then fill in the rest of your time with unplanned activities. Unless I missed it, it looks like you didn't quite get everything on your lists done on any of your visits so far, but you still had fun. Way to go!

I'm looking forward to the rest of your report!

Oh, congratulations on exceeding 2000 views on this report!

TCD

Wow - I did break 2000! Yay! How exciting!

And you are right - I'm not sure we completed any lists. Except maybe the first morning of the first day. I'd have to look back. But, yes, with a 3yo it is definitely more fun to go with the flow! I will also be discussing more of the planning thing later - but we have decided that we are definitely "less is more" vacationers.

That is true - not quite TCDRMOG material - I still thought it was funny. Did you see that it looks like rakes? They totally rednecked it up. And I can say that because I am redneck. ;)

Wow - I did break 2000! Yay! How exciting!

Two comments:

1. I meant to comment on the tractor and the rakes. I have seen the tractor many times, but never noticed the rakes. Depending on the competition, that get-up could win a TCDRMOG award. That is some impressive ingenuity there.

2. You report is currently #14 in all-time views here on FF.net. Since you are still working on it, there's no doubt you will crack the top 10! Keep up the good work!

TCD

OK - Day 5, Take 3!!! I am trying to type up a report for today and for some reason, I keep accidentally hitting a "back" button somewhere and losing my work!!!! :angry:

Day 5 -

We are planning to go visit DH's brother and his family today. So, we get dressed and take a bag with out swimsuits, and head out!

First stop, the Outpost. We need to PAY FOR OUR EXTRA NIGHT that we are staying!!! :banana: :banana: Thanks to Donnie!

While we're sitting outside waiting on DH, DD wants me to take her picture. She's quite the diva this trip...

SL373779.jpg

After a grueling 15-min drive ;) , we arrive at their house. There will not be many pictures here out of respect for their privacy. But there are a few that will be fine to post.

We enjoyed a nice lunch and caught up with the kids. Then, we take DD out back to let her play in the lake.

SL373781.jpg

She caught a minnow with her bare hands!

But, she couldn't catch anything with this:

SL373789.jpg

My Daddy's old fishing boat lives here now. Looks like it is getting good use!

SL373791.jpg

Time for tubing!

SL373811.jpg

A rainshower moved in, along with some thunder and lightning, so we went inside. After a while, we decided to head on back to the Fort and leave these guys to their business. Those of you with multiple teenagers who are VERY into sports can probably imagine how busy they are in July!

On that brutal 15-min drive back to the Fort, DH and I decide to go to DHS for the evening. I want to check out the Prime Time Cafe for dinner - and get this dinner thing right for once! :rolleyes: We also figure we can spot some different characters (like Phineas and Ferb). I also hear there is good shopping at DHS - for souvenirs.

We do a quick-change back at the Fort and head out for DHS. We had to wait 15 min for a bus - but that was about the longest we'd had to wait. Not too bad.

Not many DHS pics - it was dark from the rain clouds and also it was "getting late" - my night pics are pitiful.

We went in, checked out the Prime Time Cafe, and decided we weren't quite ready to eat yet. I know it's TS, but I figure if we go in about 8:00 there shouldn't be much of a wait. We do a nice long stroll around the park. It's a pretty small park. We don't like the back of the park. There weren't many people there which added to it's "creepiness". I know some of you are huge DHS fans - I think we just don't get it yet.

DD did get to see Woody, Buzz, and she waved to the Cars. Phineas and Ferb were on their way out, but she got to see them too.

We stop at the store by Little Mermaid and get DD a Lady and a Tramp - with collars and names. She had specifically been looking for them ALL WEEK. We had seen several "Lady"s but no "Tramp"s. Odd.

We walk down toward the Rock N Roller Coaster and that area. Decided DD needed to eat. Here is some more kid's meal food prawn - LOL

SL373817.jpg

The beers do not come with the kids meal. They are extra. :rofl2:

While she was eating - DH sent me to get in the single rider line at RNRC! I am a coaster junkie and was so glad to do it! I KNOW I took some pictures, but can't seem to find them. :argh: Will post them when I find them!

We do some shopping - and there's lots of cute stuff - but nothing that really makes me want to spend money. I know, right? I thought DH was going to take my temperature...

It's about 8:30 by now and what do we see...

SL373820.jpg

Why yes - that's a turkey leg stand!

But - it also starts to POUR down rain! Ruh roh!

DH has another stellar idea (I do love that man). He gets a plastic bag out of the stroller bag. He says "I'm gonna get them to wrap these turkey legs up real tight. Then we'll run out and catch a bus and get back to the Fort. We can sit under the awning and watch the rain and eat turkey legs." If we weren't already married, I would have proposed. :heart:

And that is how it came to pass.

Here's what we got:

SL373824.jpg

SL373825.jpg

OH, I forgot to tell you about the pixie dust. DH is standing in line for turkey legs. And standing and standing and getting soaked. But he stays. He gets up to the window (finally) and the nice turkey leg girl says "If you look over at the other line and say GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE really loud, I'll give you an free turkey leg". Immediately, DH lookes over and yells "GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE!" The people looked at him like his head fell off, but he got 2 turkey legs for the price of one! :dance:

Tomorrow's Update: Last day - what will we do?

Two comments:

1. I meant to comment on the tractor and the rakes. I have seen the tractor many times, but never noticed the rakes. Depending on the competition, that get-up could win a TCDRMOG award. That is some impressive ingenuity there.

2. You report is currently #14 in all-time views here on FF.net. Since you are still working on it, there's no doubt you will crack the top 10! Keep up the good work!

TCD

Wow - Top 10? I haven't been in the Top 10 of anything since high school.

Thanks!

I'm glad you had such a nice visit with your family. I usually don't have any better luck than your DD when it comes to fishing :rofl2:

You hit the pixie dust jackpot, I am dying for one of theseSL373825.jpg

I don't want to rush my summer out the door, but September can't come soon enough :banana:

OH, I forgot to tell you about the pixie dust. DH is standing in line for turkey legs. And standing and standing and getting soaked. But he stays. He gets up to the window (finally) and the nice turkey leg girl says "If you look over at the other line and say GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE really loud, I'll give you an free turkey leg". Immediately, DH lookes over and yells "GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE!" The people looked at him like his head fell off, but he got 2 turkey legs for the price of one! :dance:

Now that is a great story!

Especially the part about how your DH gobbled immediately on demand.

That reminds me of a time at Typhoon Lagoon, when we were heading out near closing time. We were walking by a stand that sold snacks, and a castmember was closing up the stand. Another castmember must have been in charge of getting rid of the soft pretzels that hadn't sold. She had her head peeking out of a curtain which had been closed on the stand saying "psssst' to folks walking by. She was handing out pretzels for free. That was some real Disney magic there. Anytime you get anything for free at Disney, that is magic! And we didn't have to gobble for ours.

Wow - Top 10? I haven't been in the Top 10 of anything since high school.

Thanks!

Hmmm.

That makes me wonder what you were in the top 10 of in high school?

TCD

This is been one of my favorite reports on this board! You're doing a great job!

Glad to hear that you got your turkey leg....actually I'm just glad that you ate at all. :lol:

Good for hubby. Like TCD said, anything free at Disney is a bonus. I would have gobbled, clucked and showed my tail feathers for a free turkey leg.

I hope there's more to come! :popcorn:

Notes to self:

#1. The next time you're at the Fort and S70 is there, bring an extra turkey leg back from one of the parks.

#2. Make sure to have video camera ready for the show.

TCD

:raspberry:

Bring it on!!!zzzderekev3.gif

I'm glad you had such a nice visit with your family. I usually don't have any better luck than your DD when it comes to fishing :rofl2:

You hit the pixie dust jackpot, I am dying for one of theseSL373825.jpg

I don't want to rush my summer out the door, but September can't come soon enough :banana:

Well, I won't say she was a particularly patient fisher-child... :rofl2: But she had a lot of fun doing it. There were a lot of fish down there - we could see them - but she was just too wiggly. She finally resorted to tossing breadcrumbs in to watch them come up to the top!

I know what you mean - I felt like that my whole summer break!

Now that is a great story!

Especially the part about how your DH gobbled immediately on demand.

That reminds me of a time at Typhoon Lagoon, when we were heading out near closing time. We were walking by a stand that sold snacks, and a castmember was closing up the stand. Another castmember must have been in charge of getting rid of the soft pretzels that hadn't sold. She had her head peeking out of a curtain which had been closed on the stand saying "psssst' to folks walking by. She was handing out pretzels for free. That was some real Disney magic there. Anytime you get anything for free at Disney, that is magic! And we didn't have to gobble for ours.

Hmmm.

That makes me wonder what you were in the top 10 of in high school?

TCD

DH was like you "Free? How many Gobbles did you want?" That is a funny story about the soft pretzel girl! And she didn't just walk around and say "Hey - y'all wanna pretzel?" She was cute about it - that's sooooooo Disney!

And I was a scholar-athlete in high school (that's code for a nerd with good coordination) - so every top 10 appearance was something my parents were proud of. :)) I'm still a nerd, but my athleticism is reduced significantly!

This is been one of my favorite reports on this board! You're doing a great job!

Glad to hear that you got your turkey leg....actually I'm just glad that you ate at all. :lol:

Good for hubby. Like TCD said, anything free at Disney is a bonus. I would have gobbled, clucked and showed my tail feathers for a free turkey leg.

I hope there's more to come! :popcorn:

Thanks so much! That's quite a compliment!

We were pretty bad about remembering to eat. I know that sounds weird - I usually want to slap people that say "Oh, I forgot to eat" Whatever. But it was hot and we were busy - 2 things that kept our mind on things other than food. Plus all the water and lemonade helped make us not think we were hungry.

There is more! Only one more day though...

Okay everyone - I'm working on the last update.

Right now, I'm uploading 32 pictures and 3 teeny tiny video snippets.

I can't wait to tell you about our last day! Except, that it will be the last day.

I'm almost as sad as I was when we left!

Holy Gobble Gobble!!! Free Turkey Legs!? Impressive.

Great photos and reporting! I'm feeling the magic! :fairydust:

Okay everyone - I'm working on the last update.

Right now, I'm uploading 32 pictures and 3 teeny tiny video snippets.

I can't wait to tell you about our last day! Except, that it will be the last day.

I'm almost as sad as I was when we left!

Last update? Boooo! Now I'm sad. :(

Holy Gobble Gobble!!! Free Turkey Legs!? Impressive.

Great photos and reporting! I'm feeling the magic! :fairydust:

Last update? Boooo! Now I'm sad. :(

Thanks! We love the magic and the free legs!

I'm sad too - but I'm off to get it ready and posted!

It’s the “Last Day” blues. Our journey is almost at an end. Oh dear.

So, where did we spend the last day?

You might say “Animal Kingdom”. We had a little unfinished business there, plus DD is very into animals right now.

You might say “Epcot”. We did not spend much time there this trip, and it was a favorite last year.

Or perhaps you think “DHS”. Nah. I already said we didn’t really “get” that park.

What about “Magic Kingdom”? Would we spend yet ANOTHER day there?

Why yes. Yes we did.

We were in a very MK place this trip. We thought about going back to Epcot, but MK has just really been good this trip. Epcot isn’t going anywhere, we can do that next time.

Before we begin, you have to know - we broke my big RULE of going to the parks in July with a kid. We got there late. We planned to stay all day with no nap.

I am such a rebel.

It was a gorgeous day!

SL373837.jpg

SL373838.jpg

SL373839.jpg

Still haven’t eaten here. Pretty much just hot dogs, though, so I don’t think we were to interested.

SL373843.jpg

Ate here last year. Maybe we’ll stop again today for lunch! I do remember they had excellent (and HUGE) sandwiches. Their ice cream desserts looked amazing. I highly recommend it. It’s very reasonably priced for all you non-meal-plan folks out there.

SL373844.jpg

SL373841.jpg

So, you say, what is The Plan for today? We must have a Plan, right?

The Plan:

1. Have fun

2. Have more fun

3. Don’t forget to eat

Now how’s that for a plan!

DH says he doesn’t think we’ve gone to Adventureland yet, so we hang a left and head over there. We get to Pirates of the Caribbean. Should we take DD on it? I’ve heard it scares some kids. We ask her if she wants to go on it – she says yes! I told her it was dark because of the caves – she said that was okay.

Now, just to show off my photo-in-the-dark skills, here is a picture as we’re walking through the line:

SL373845.jpg

Stellar, I know.

DD enjoyed the ride. She seemed to think her job was to point out every parrot or dog. Whatever makes her happy! She was a little scared in the part where it seemed they were cannonballing you, but we distracted her by looking at the pirate who looked like Captain Hook.

Saw lots of Johnny Depp figures – how would YOU like to be immortalized in a Disney ride!?

Came out of the ride and looked around the shop a bit.

We walked over to look at Splash Mountain again – she loves watching it splash down!

DD is already getting fussy. What the Fort? We JUST STARTED kiddo!

Our only line of defense is food.

We walk back down through Adventureland, since we’d already eaten at Pecos Bill’s, looking for something new. We came across the Tortuga Tavern! Never heard of it.

SL373846.jpg

The nice thing was, it is a QS place with Mexican style plates. We split a monster burrito and DD got a cheese quesadilla. Don’t get the kids cheese quesadilla. It was mostly tortilla, and a bit chewy at that. So, we had to fuss with miss fusspot to get her to eat. It was one of those moments that we should just gotten her something different. But we didn’t. I think we were trying to prove our parenting skills. We should have realized “It’s the last day of vacation – just give her French fries or something”. One of those things I wish I could take back. She’s none the worse for wear of course, I just hate “making” her eat.

We REALLY enjoyed our burrito. I didn’t get a picture, but it was big. And there was a topping bar, so that was cool. All in all, a good place to go if you don’t want burgers and such.

SL373847.jpg

SL373848.jpg

Okay, food time over – let’s get back out there!

DD wanted to ride Dumbo again. DH wanted to do Mickey’s Philharmagic again. I wanted a funnel cake.

So, I guess we just created a mini-plan.

We poke around Frontierland on our way back to Fantasyland.

SL373850.jpg

Is this a store or a restaurant? Sounds like a bar or brothel from the wild wild west…

SL373851.jpg

Stopped to watch these guys pass by.

SL373852.jpg

It was pretty cool. We really like the street entertainment at MK.

As we turn the corner to Fantasyland (right where Small World is), I see a bathroom. Hm. DD hasn’t been in a while. And we just ate. So I tell DH we need to stop to go “potty”. He doesn’t want to stop. He asks DD “Do you have to go potty?” Of course she says no. Do we all see the foreshadowing here???

So we get in line for Mickey’s Philharmagic and get ready for the show.

SL373876.jpg

SL373877.jpg

We are right outside the auditorium and they are giving the entrance shpeel when DD says “I’m going to potty in my panties” Since she’s sitting on DH’s shoulders, he shows great concern. :rofl2:

We get her down and a CM lets us out right as everyone is going in the movie. Errrr.

I walk her over to the bathroom behind Pinocchio’s restaurant. We come all the way back. There is a huge line at Philharmagic! It’s running out onto the sidewalk! OH man! :argh:

I go to the FP lady (yes, there’s a FP for Philharmagic) and tell her what just happened. She said we could use the FP lane, no problem. We get to the front and the girl letting people in is the very girl who had to let us out 10 min before! Yay! She chuckled and said “Welcome back!” Such nice people. :heart:

We leave Mickey’s and it looks like this:

SL373892.jpg

Apparently it just rained. Go figure. Welcome to Florida!

It cleared up pretty quick, and DD and I rode Dumbo.

SL373895.jpg

She decided she wanted another trip around the carousel too.

Now, I learned from a CM that there is ONE horse on the carousel that is “officially” Cinderella’s horse. It is the only one with a gold ribbon on the tail. It is the only one with ANY ribbon on the tail. It is also on the 2nd row and is very well adorned. So, while we’re waiting our turn DH and I intently look for it. We saw it – and when we were let on the ride DH ran over to it as fast as he could! He is such a good Daddy. Gotta get it for his princess!

SL373879.jpg

SL373885.jpg

SL373886.jpg

SL373887.jpg

Who knew? How many little girls ride that horse every day and have no idea it’s “The One”?

Now, DD says she wants to go back to Splash Mountain. Again??

Well, I have to tell you that I secretly got FPs last time we were “watching” it. The height requirement is 42”, and I’m pretty sure DD is that tall. We weren’t doing FP for anything else, so I thought “No biggie. If she’s not tall enough, we give them away and go buy her an ice cream”

Guess what – she was about 2” over the line! :banana:

Back past Pecos Bill’s

SL373856.jpg

SL373857.jpg

SL373858.jpg

Does anyone else think it’s strange that Disney totally ignores “Song of the South” as having ever existed, and yet they have this whole ride themed after it?

Right when we get to the boats, DD says “No, I don’t want to ride it” Not so fast, little sassyfrass. DH says “Well, we have to go this way if we want out” We totally tricked her onto the boat. Ah, such good parenting.

Once the boat started moving and she was distracted, she totally loved it! DH and I have never ridden it. Ever. So we totally had a blast! I love how it has a lot of “warm up” hills before the big one! That was good for DD.

I went to buy the picture of us coming down the big drop, but DD was so low in the seat you couldn’t see her. Also, the girl in front of me has her hands up and one of them is square over my face. Dang. That’s okay, I’ll always have the picture of her little facial expression in my mind.

Alright, funnel cake time. We head over to Liberty Square – surely they have funnel cake!

We stopped when we saw these guys:

SL373860.jpg

They are really good! They did a flag waving thing with the kids. It was really cute.

Here’s a video snippet:

http://s823.photobucket.com/albums/zz156/lilbethie/Disney%202011/Last%20Day/?action=view&current=eec47c8a.mp4

DD with her little flag:

SL373873.jpg

Right behind us was Sleepy Hollow – and they had some beautiful funnel cakes!

DD decided she was hungry too – but didn’t want any part of my funnel cake. :blink: That’s okay, more for me!

We walk toward Main Street because we are all pretty tired. DD is hungry. And I still don’t have a souvenir for the trip. DD has 5 animals: Dory, Chip & Dale, Lady & Tramp. DH hasn’t gotten anything either but he doesn’t care about that kind of stuff.

We stop at Casey’s to get DD a hot dog and so I could sit down and eat my funnel cake. You need both hands for those things.

We found this area off to the side with benches to sit on and they were showing old cartoons. Perfect!

SL373897.jpg

Shopped our way down Main Street, and end up at the end of the Emporium. I wanted a bumper sticker (we put them on the side of our garage fridge at home) and maybe an insulated tumbler with a straw. They had NO bumper stickers and only 2 kinds of tumblers – neither insulated. I’m frustrated, but determined. DH is bored. DD is trying on every single type of Mickey ears on the rack.

Suddenly, we hear something going on. DH says “What’s going on out there?” I sigh and say “Probably another parade” He says “No, they’re out in the circle” I look at my watch. It’s 5:00. Does something happen at 5:00? I don’t remember anything happening at 5:00… what could it be? I mentally look through my FortFiends files “5:00… it must be something exactly at 5:00….”

OH! I got it! Flag Retreat! Go DH – get out there!

DD still has her flag from earlier:

SL373903.jpg

SL373899.jpg

SL373910.jpg

Here are two more tiny video snippets:

http://s823.photobucket.com/albums/zz156/lilbethie/Disney%202011/Last%20Day/?action=view&current=b5380d22.mp4

http://s823.photobucket.com/albums/zz156/lilbethie/Disney%202011/Last%20Day/?action=view&current=a6f2d3cc.mp4

I go back in the store and buy a cap that I’d been carrying around the store. Also took some gift cards for DD to play with. LOL

We decide to head back to the Fort. We have a lot of packing up to do if we’re going to leave early in the morning. We have to pick up the boys by 4:30, so there is no time for delay in the morning.

SL373915.jpg

This sign is funny. I will never be one of these guests.

SL373914.jpg

SL373919.jpg

SL373921.jpg

SL373924.jpg

Oh, so sad. I didn’t want to leave. But it was time.

We get back to the camper and I send DH and DD outside to play so I can pack up. They are having fun outside blowing bubbles and riding her scooter. That is good. I’m jealous, but at least they’re out of my hair while I pack up.

We get the car loaded except for one small bag of toothbrushes and change of clothes for in the morning.

Then we sat outside and started the difficult job of finishing off those beers left in the cooler. It’s a tough job, but someone has to do it. DD ate some Spaghetti-o’s and watched Pinocchio on her couch-bed.

We got Trail’s End carryout – it was good! I had nachos and DH had the BBQ wrap. Both were really good and filling!

Gotta do a final post later – we must have a wrap-up session! I want to talk about the Cabins vs. Campsites comparison, and a couple other things from our trip.

I hope you all enjoyed my trip! I sure did!

SL373876.jpg

Love this picture! :heart: Moments like this are what makes WDW so special (though if DD would have pottied down Dad's back, not so much :lol: )

So sad knowing that your report is almost finished. You've done a great job! Hoping there's another trip in your future.

BTW, the "dark picture of the pole" is phenomenal!!! :rofl2:

Nooo, say it isn't so. This can't be coming to an end. I start my morning with this report, it puts a smile on my face and gets me ready to start my day. You arfe just going to have to go back so you can write another TR :banana:

I sure hope Dad learned that little girls will always say no they don't have to go potty, right up until the potty dance starts :rofl2: It was so nice that the CM's let you guys go back in that was true :fairydust:

Now I'm just waiting for the wrap up :(

Wow, talk about a strong finish!

Excellent!

I agree with S70 on the photo of your DD laughing with your DH. It doesn't get any better than that.

You went a little fast there at the end, so I have some comments to catch up on:

1. You had a great plan for your last day! And, you were right to go to the park your DD wanted to even if you had already been there a lot. As she gets older, there may be other parks and attractions that she would rather visit. It doesn't matter which one you choose or how many times you visit it, as long as everyone is having fun!

2. I have never eaten at the Plaza restaurant. Which is really strange. We were big fans of Sonny Eclipse for so long, that it seemed like we always ended up at Cosmic Ray's. We like Columbia Harbor House, too.

3. I have likewise never eaten at the taco/burrito joint across from Pirates. But not for lack of wanting to. Like the Noodle Station, this place is never open when we visit.

4. I never knew that there was one horse on the carousel designated as Cinderella's. And I have ridden that carousel a lot. You learn something new every day!

5. I, too, find it odd that there is a whole attraction based on Song of the South when it is likely that the far majority of WDW visitors have never seen, or probably even heard of the movie.

6. I'm glad that you got to see the flag retreat. I had never seen it before until recently. It is a great event.

You really did a great job on this trip report!

I'm looking forward to your final thoughts.

TCD