"I like sleeping in the kitchen!"

Great updates!

That is a great story about the pixie dust you received at WL!

Just so you know, WL has a quick service restaurant called Roaring Forks, which is open until 12 am. That is good info to know when you find yourself heading back to the Fort after 10 pm.

I love all of the pony ride photos! The TCD gang spent a lot of time there back in the day. Back when my DD's were your DD's age, the pony rides were only $2. And, I am pretty sure that Tonka was around back then, too.

Can someone explain this to me? We thought it was a really strange place for a hoop.

SL373418.jpg

I haven't ever seen anyone use that hoop, but I assume it is there for castmembers to use. This is a backstage area where castmembers working at the Barn, Pioneer Hall and the Marina park.

Boat ride pics (I won't pretend I know what all this is. Please chime in if you know!)

This is part of River Country?

SL373445.jpg

SL373447.jpg

SL373450.jpg

I couldn't figure out what this was - it looks like it might be one of the old cabins I hear about?

SL373452.jpg

Are these photos out of order?

It looks like that first one is of Discovery Island, not River Country.

The last one is of the old cabin that you can find if you head out of the exit mid-way around the 300 loop.

Looking forward to the rest of your report!

TCD

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great updates!

Just so you know, WL has a quick service restaurant called Roaring Forks, which is open until 12 am. That is good info to know when you find yourself heading back to the Fort after 10 pm.

I love all of the pony ride photos! The TCD gang spent a lot of time there back in the day. Back when my DD's were your DD's age, the pony rides were only $2. And, I am pretty sure that Tonka was around back then, too.

I haven't ever seen anyone use that hoop, but I assume it is there for castmembers to use. This is a backstage area where castmembers working at the Barn, Pioneer Hall and the Marina park.

The last one is of the old cabin that you can find if you head out of the exit mid-way around the 300 loop.

TCD

Nope, that is an old storage shed sitting on Discovery Island. I don't even think you go near the cabin behind 300 on the boats to MK, or WL/CR

Nope, that is an old storage shed sitting on Discovery Island. I don't even think you go near the cabin behind 300 on the boats to MK, or WL/CR

I have had to wait a long time to say this . . .

You are wrong Carol!

Yes, there is a photo of the storage shed on the old Discovery Island dock, but the last photo I quoted is definitely a photo of the old cabin behind the 300 loop taken from the boat, looking back toward the shore of Bay Lake.

You can definitely see the old cabin from the resort boat as it goes around Discovery Island heading to and from the Contemporary Resort.

TCD

You are wrong Carol!

Yes, there is a photo of the storage shed on the old Discovery Island dock, but the last photo I quoted is definitely a photo of the old cabin behind the 300 loop taken from the boat, looking back toward the shore of Bay Lake.

You can definitely see the old cabin from the resort boat as it goes around Discovery Island heading to and from the Contemporary Resort.

TCD

OK, you got me, looked again with the picture blown up, the eyes are getting old. I see the cabin now, all I saw normal size was trees!! Can't see the forest for the trees!!!!:dance: dry.gif

Awesome TR! Your DD is adorable and I'm with the concensus, it's refreshing that you let her set the pace and not drag her around.. I just dont get that mentality with parents. I go with the knowledge I'm not getting my money's worth out of my tickets.. you accept that after 5 kids :)

Awesome pixie dust from the chef at WL! I've not had anything like that happen to me but I love hearing about it from others.

Your DD is precious and I love her animal collection!

Thanks! We were so impressed with the chef! And DD's animal collection is about to groooowwwww - starting on the next update!

You know, if you follow enough message boards about Disney, you hear alot of negative things about un-caring or rude cast members... I'm sure this day in time with the "it's all about me" society", I'm sure some of it is true. However, when you hear things about what the Chef did at the lodge, and the other cast members not taking any money for it, it just wipes out all of that negative stuff in one quick swoop!

I know what you mean! It takes events like this to restore our faith in the human spirit! There are tons of good people out there - we just have to bump into them once in a while! We were stunned that they wouldn't take any money. Wouldn't even accept a tip.

So glad to hear about the treat from the chef at the Wilderness Lodge - seems like some folks really know how to spread some kindness. I still remember getting to the food court area too early one morning at Pop Century (like TCD, I am a morning person and usually go for a stroll while everyone else sleeps). Well, I walked up and tried the door which was locked. One of the CM's who was busy setting up the area came over and opened the door for me and pointed to a coffee machine that was already warmed up and ready to go. Made my day.

Isn't it great when someone does something nice like that? I wonder if they have any idea how much it means to the person they are helping? I hope so!

Great update, awesome pixie dust and wonderful pictures. I hope you live in the country though, I think i see a horse in your future :rofl2: :heart:

Oh, goodness, she would love it! But... no we live in the 'burbs. However, there are a couple of farms not far from here that have horseback riding. Maybe when she gets bigger - if she's still interested - we can sign her up for horseback riding! :dance: I'm a country girl myself and have not had the opportunity to ride since college. :argh:

Hey I like the animals on the couch. Can you send them back lol?

No Donnie - we aren't bringing them back! She had her a little "nest" built there, didn't she? She loved it!

Great updates!

TCD

Oh, I totally forgot to mention Roaring Forks! That was an additional reason the chef went "above and beyond". After we got our food, we went to the dock to catch the resort boat and walked right by it! We looked at each other like "What the...?" The chef could very easily have said "We are closed, but if you follow this walkway around to the left you will see Roaring Forks..." But he didn't. Isn't that double-amazing!

Will definitely keep RF in our back pocket for next time - you'll see more why later in the updates.

And yes, the photos are out of order - going and coming back from CR. That first one is Discovery Island - when you said that I remembered that I hadn't noticed that fence before. And the last one - I was pretty sure that was the old cabin, but needed some confirmation from the experts!

The white one is the storage shed, right? Sorry I messed up the order of the pics. I'm not familiar enough to remember which was which all by myself! :))

You are wrong Carol!

TCD

This is like Battle of the FW Stars, here folks!

OK, you got me, looked again with the picture blown up, the eyes are getting old. I see the cabin now, all I saw normal size was trees!! Can't see the forest for the trees!!!!:dance: dry.gif

LOL! Thanks you guys for filling me in on what was what! Now, I can label them accordingly in the photo album I'm making on Shutterfly. I'll be sure and name you both in the credits. ;)

What a fun TR!!

Hearing about the Chef at the WL brought a tear to my eye. What an extra special treat!!

Thanks for joining in! It was really special. I just wanted to hug him.

Awesome TR! Your DD is adorable and I'm with the concensus, it's refreshing that you let her set the pace and not drag her around.. I just dont get that mentality with parents. I go with the knowledge I'm not getting my money's worth out of my tickets.. you accept that after 5 kids :)

Hi Judy! Thanks a bunch! It's easy to say "take it easy" but boy is it hard when you get there! I can't imagine how much you spend with 5 kids - WOW!

After naptime, DD got at the table to color and DH & I discussed the evening activities. We decided to ditch “The Plan” (again) since we’d missed some things DD really wanted to do at Epcot the night before. We decided to load up and try Epcot again. So, once again “The Plan” is thwarted.

The Old Plan: Fort Wilderness activities

The New Plan: Epcot/Boardwalk

1. Living Seas

2. Find Marie (France)

3. Frosty beverages

4. Walk over to Boardwalk

We decided on Boardwalk because we hadn’t been over there since my 30th birthday. Which, you know, was just yesterday so I’m sure nothing’s changed… :unsure:

We take the bus to Epcot and are there in 20 min – RV to Epcot front gate. Pretty good!

We “finally” get to Epcot at 5:45 and discover that we need to haul bootie to France if we don’t want to miss Marie AGAIN! We are sooooo bad at this…

But we made it!

SL373455.jpg

SL373458.jpg

DD is going to be Marie for Halloween. Her favorite stuffed animal is Marie - that's why she's not in the couch picture. She is not allowed out of DD's sight! So this was a big meet for her!

However, as you see our list, we are now way out of order for walking. Oh well. I’ve been wanting to drop a couple of pounds – off we go BACK to Living Seas!

Let me just say by the time we walk into the Nemo ride, the a/c was a frigid blast of joy! We walked leisurely through the cool, dim, breezy queue. Oh, it was so nice. Especially since we had basically marched from FW to France and back without much of a stop.

SL373460.jpg

SL373461.jpg

Alright people – look at my list! Ha ha ha! :rofl2: Back over to WS for a frosty beverage. I think we stopped in UK for beers and duck-watching for DD. Then, we walk over to Boardwalk.

For those of you who haven’t done “the walk” it was really really close – I was completely shocked at how close it was! Unreal! No wonder people pay top dollar to stay at those resorts!

Here are my pitiful Boardwalk pics.

Hungry girl! That hot dog didn't stand a chance...

SL373463.jpg

Really - these are the only decent pics? I need to focus more on taking pics sometimes. But, DH and I were having such a nice conversation looking out over the water... *sigh*

SL373466.jpg

I think DH took this while we were watching the magic show. But no pics of the magic show. <_<

SL373467.jpg

It was pretty slow at the Boardwalk – unless it’s just a later crowd. We decided to try and avoid last night’s situation with the food and head back to FW for some takeout and chill at the camper.

We realized that we were at a resort and had some bus transferrin' to do in order to get back to FW. Or, we could walk back to the front of Epcot and catch a bus. Orrrrrrrr we could catch a cab. :)) Best $13 I spent the whole trip.

On our cab ride, DH and I decided to just go straight back to the campsite and eat our leftover cheeseburgers and cake. Worked out marvelously! I told you that chef gave us HUGE cheeseburgers!

Back at the camper, we discovered this had happened to DD's balloon from arrival day:

SL373417.jpg

We all thought that was pretty funny.

Next update:

The Plan: Animal Kingdom and more Fort time

Back at the camper, we discovered this had happened to DD's balloon from arrival day:

SL373417.jpg

We all thought that was pretty funny.

Next update:

Was it cold in the rv? (I've heard that can cause shrinkage :)) )

She found Marie! :banana: Great pic of the two of them.

I love some prawns...can't wait for them :P

This kitchen is nearly identical to our camper, colors, wallboarder, and all. It has been a good setup.

I'm not real good with food pics - but I think I have some prawn somewhere! LOL

We enjoyed the camper - it is a really nice layout!

<Snarky alert>

You got beers for your DD in the UK? :rofl2:

Snark sent, and received! :rofl2: I gotta watch those run-on sentences...

Was it cold in the rv? (I've heard that can cause shrinkage :)) )

She found Marie! :banana: Great pic of the two of them.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Stef, you say the things that roll around in my mind.. LOVE IT! :rofl2:

Ditto! ;D

It was pretty slow at the Boardwalk – unless it’s just a later crowd. We decided to try and avoid last night’s situation with the food and head back to FW for some takeout and chill at the camper.

We realized that we were at a resort and had some bus transferrin' to do in order to get back to FW. Or, we could walk back to the front of Epcot and catch a bus. Orrrrrrrr we could catch a cab. :)) Best $13 I spent the whole trip.

On our cab ride, DH and I decided to just go straight back to the campsite and eat our leftover cheeseburgers and cake. Worked out marvelously! I told you that chef gave us HUGE cheeseburgers!

Next update:

Just for future reference, we usually catch a boat to the Studios and catch the bus there. It's a very short walk from the boat to the bus. We actually do this quite frequently when we want to take Mama to the WS, she loves the boat and it's not near as much walking as it would take going through all of Epcot.

I'm glad you're daughter got to meet Marie!

Just for future reference, we usually catch a boat to the Studios and catch the bus there. It's a very short walk from the boat to the bus. We actually do this quite frequently when we want to take Mama to the WS, she loves the boat and it's not near as much walking as it would take going through all of Epcot.

I'm glad you're daughter got to meet Marie!

I never thought about that! Where does the boat dock at DHS? That's a much smaller park anyway, so it makes sense! I love getting tips like this!

In light of recent events, I would like to interrupt this TR for a very special picture.

I took this picture much later in the trip, but I really want to post it now.

SL373776-1.jpg

This sighting in the parking lot of the Outpost completely reduced me to tears. And, right now, it has an even stronger meaning.

This post goes out to all of you who make the ultimate sacrifice every day to protect and guard the rest of us.

Thank you to the parents, spouses, and children who spend their days and nights dreaming of the day that they can "go get their hero", too.

My way of life and my security is completely owed to you who spend weeks, months, and years away from your families in dangerous and unfamiliar places.

In memory of those who lost their lives.

In honor of those who live to serve.

In appreciation of the loved ones who support them.

In light of recent events, I would like to interrupt this TR for a very special picture.

I took this picture much later in the trip, but I really want to post it now.

SL373776-1.jpg

This sighting in the parking lot of the Outpost completely reduced me to tears. And, right now, it has an even stronger meaning.

This post goes out to all of you who make the ultimate sacrifice every day to protect and guard the rest of us.

Thank you to the parents, spouses, and children who spend their days and nights dreaming of the day that they can "go get their hero", too.

My way of life and my security is completely owed to you who spend weeks, months, and years away from your families in dangerous and unfamiliar places.

In memory of those who lost their lives.

In honor of those who live to serve.

In appreciation of the loved ones who support them.

You just brought tears to my eyes. Just got off the phone with my nephew (air force) it is amazing how much pride the servicemen and women have.

Ok, I am all caught up and LOVING your trip report! :dance:

Amazing story about the chef at WL...what a magical moment! :banana:

And I'm glad you did eventually find Marie. In my experience, she is nearly as elusive as Snow White. Sure, she seems to hang out in France a lot, but I've found that she takes frequent breaks...most likely to grab a quick smoke and a hit of catnip.

And finally, your daughter is so cute! Great pics. Thanks for sharing, and I can't wait for more! :popcorn:

You just brought tears to my eyes. Just got off the phone with my nephew (air force) it is amazing how much pride the servicemen and women have.

You must be so proud of your nephew! They are very proud - I am always so impressed when I talk to them.

Thanks, I just talked to my stepson yesterday. He has been home from Korea for one month today, after spending a year over there away from his wife and two girls :usa:

I'm so glad your stepson has been able to spend time with his family! Does he get to stay awhile?

Ok, I am all caught up and LOVING your trip report! :dance:

Amazing story about the chef at WL...what a magical moment! :banana:

And I'm glad you did eventually find Marie. In my experience, she is nearly as elusive as Snow White. Sure, she seems to hang out in France a lot, but I've found that she takes frequent breaks...most likely to grab a quick smoke and a hit of catnip.

And finally, your daughter is so cute! Great pics. Thanks for sharing, and I can't wait for more! :popcorn:

Hi Dave! Glad to see you here!

Yes, Marie was tough to catch. The Times thingy at the front gate just said "intermittently", so that was helpful :rolleyes: But I was able to get good info from the CMs both days. She does take a lot of breaks - I think she's back there trying to hook up with the Beast. :rofl2:

I'm so glad your stepson has been able to spend time with his family! Does he get to stay awhile?

Thanks. Yes they were transferred to Tampa when he got home so they will be together for a while. He found out last week that he will be going TDY next year for another year though. He hasn't found out where they will be sending, but in his 23 year career with the Air Force he has certainly seen the world ;)

Here we are at Day 3. Wow – I’m really dragging this out, aren’t I? LOL Well, hang in there! Lots of pictures today!

The Plan: Animal Kingdom

1. Kilimanjaro Safari

2. Birds of Flight Show

3. Kali River Rapids

4. Lion King show

5. Character Trails

One thing you should know about today – it’s a running day for DH. He does not skip a running day. Ever. That’s a whole other story, but I totally respect it. Me, I can skip a running day if I’m traipsing around parks. Is that how you spell traipsing?

We have a leisurely morning and then head over to AK around 9 or so. I decide that we should just drive. Worked out fine. I did take a map to make sure we didn’t get lost. Yes, a real honest-to-goodness paper map. None of that GPS crap. Even took a little back road.

Got into the park and had to get pics of the Tree of Life:

SL373473.jpg

DD was ready to go! She’s really into the animals this year…

SL373470.jpg

Safari was up first. The line looked really long but it moved really fast. We walked all the way…

SL373476.jpg

Until here.

SL373477.jpg

And even then we didn’t stand still long. We were in row 5.

SL373478.jpg

And we’re off!

SL373480.jpg

Here come your usual animal pics:

Flamingos

SL373475.jpg

The hippos stayed submerged - was so hoping for a cool hippo pic.

SL373484.jpg

Having fun!

SL373492.jpg

SL373493.jpg

SL373496.jpg

SL373498.jpg

SL373502.jpg

SL373505.jpg

As we approached this, DD said "Look Mommy - it's Pride Rock!"

SL373510.jpg

How right she was...

SL373511.jpg

and here's Pumbaa...

SL373513.jpg

SL373515.jpg

That is pretty much the best of my 8 kajillion animal pics. Next up: Flights of Wonder

When we came out of the safari, we did the trail. We didn’t see the gorilla – but we did see this cool hippo:

SL373516.jpg

SL373517.jpg

Right before we walked into the hippo area, DD looks up at me and says “I gotta go potty, Mommy.” I’m like “Okay, we’ll go in a minute”. Then I get the look. And the leg cross. And the “I’m gonna go in my pants, Mommy”. Ruh roh. I see a CM and ask him for the nearest bathroom. He looked down at DD (who looked very much like Boo in Monsters Inc. at this point) and said “follow me”. We follow a short path around a clump of trees, he let down a rope, and there was a bathroom! Wow! :banana: This must be the super-secret toddler emergency bathroom. He waited for us, so I didn't take any pics.

We finish the trail and come out and here is this nice CM from South Africa.

SL373519.jpg

SL373520.jpg

DD thought she was a princess! :heart: She ran up to her, hugged her, and immediately chatted her up. The girl was so happy that DD had mistaken her for a princess. They had a nice long chat about the animals DD had seen on the safari.

We do a little walking around Africa and see a fun dance going on:

SL373522.jpg

Enough dilly-dallying - back to The Plan! We head over to Asia for Flights of Wonder. I see that I called it Birds of Wonder in The Plan. Oh well. A friend of mine recommended it, especially with DD’s interest in birds lately.

Now, I don’t know what you guys do when you’re waiting around at Disney – but DD likes to make funny faces and look at her pictures…

SL373528.jpg

SL373529.jpg

SL373530.jpg

SL373531.jpg

FOW was a fun show – really cool! We sat in the bleachers toward the back, thinking DD would be able to see better. Little did we know the best part of the show is when the birds fly really low over the audience! If you go, sit near the center aisle if you can.

SL373524.jpg

Are those not-so-hidden Mickeys?

SL373534.jpg

SL373537.jpg

Our national treasure:

SL373541.jpg

SL373544.jpg

The show was about 20-25 minutes and they had several birds. The hosts had a pretty funny "plot" going - I do wish they had used more birds. I only took pictures of a couple because they had birds that would fly right over the audience and birds that would retreive things from the back of the amphitheater and all kinds of cool stuff! The hawk was very intimidating.

At this point, we’re a little snack-ish. DD and I had grits and fruit at the camper but it was wearing off. DH is just snacking ‘cause he can’t run with food in his stomach – so we walk around the corner and end up at Restaurantosaurus. I really wanted to do Flame Tree, but the Children’s menu was pitiful.

Restaurantosaurus was fine. Air conditioned and had a bathroom – we were all good. DD and I shared a chicken strip lunch with apples. DH ate a granola bar out of the snack bag.

Let me just say – we like to try and make healthy choices. Many times in the parks when we order a meal we try to get fruit instead of fries. Plus, fruit just tastes better in summer. However, I have a real problem when I give up a big order of fries and get a pitiful bag of tiny apple slices that MIGHT amount to a whole apple. When you get grapes, you are a little better off. But still, really? Making healthy choices should not be getting less food - just healthier food!!! Okay, rant over. Goodness, do I need a snack? Maybe I'm getting a little hangry...

From there, it is getting late (for us). It was around 12:30 I think. The Plan says we are going to do Kali River Rapids, but I think I'm going to have to pass on that one. I don't want to wear DH out on his running day until he gets some food in him. DD is a little pesky at lunch and I wonder if we'll make it too much longer. So, we head on over to theCamp Mickey and Minnie to see some characters and hopefully catch the Festival of the Lion King.

Festival of the Lion King is offered pretty much ever hour on the half-hour until 2:30. Then, the times are a bit different. We are hoping to hit the 1:30 show.

We get over to the character trails around 12:45. I have never ever seen such short lines for the Fab 5. It was great! We only waited about 10 min to see Minnie:

SL373545.jpg

Here is the set up. It’s quite nice. The lines are in the “woods” and are very shady. Plus they have nice fan misters set up to keep you cool.

SL373546.jpg

SL373547.jpg

We saw they were bringing out Daisy Duck soon, so we were first in line! Again, DD likes to make funny faces and get her picture taken while waiting.

SL373559.jpg

SL373551.jpg

This time, Daddy gets in on the action.

SL373552.jpg

SL373555.jpg

Before you know it, we see Daisy!

SL373561.jpg

Here are some other characters who were out and about:

SL373548.jpg

SL373569.jpg

SL373572.jpg

Yes, your eyes do not deceive you - that is Brer Rabbit!

This guy was playing some music on his guitar while everyone was meeting characters. It was a great atmosphere!

SL373563.jpg

Warning: this is what happened to the crowd level when the FOTLK show let out:

SL373564.jpg

When we first got there, the crowd was VERY thin!

But, it was our turn to go to the show! We arrived for the 1:30 show at 1:15 and were there in PLENTY of time. No problem.

Started out with these guys –

SL373578.jpg

Then they rolled in these HUGE parade floats

SL373579.jpg

SL373580.jpg

The show got BUSY

SL373582.jpg

We really enjoyed it! There was fire, acrobatics, and some other things I won’t tell you in case you want to be surprised. Well worth the effort!

After that, we were pooped! Getting through that crowd to leave Camp M&M was crazy! I stopped at a drink stand for a lemonade so that we wouldn't all go nutso. The sun was starting to get really hot, we were tired, and I think DH prob a little hangry. He was ready to run so he wouldn't have to worry about having an empty stomach anymore. The lemonade perked everyone up just enough to get back to the car without any fussing or whining. :banana:

Headed back to the Fort for our daily R&R.

Plan for the evening:

Fort activities!