Check the PSI on your tires before and every time you go on a trip. I hope the Board makes a page so everyone can see it. Today I was checking on my TT and I saw a TT coming back, not good. The right side had a Tire blowout taking out the fender and some of the side of the TT and it also took out the mounting bracket and the upright of the awning. So check our tires all the time.

Great advice! When we were kids my parents rented a MH and took us to Florida.

Question - how many tow trucks does it take to change a tire on the side of the highway in NC?

Answer?

1st to come and realize it's the wrong size truck.

2nd to come get stuck in the soft shoulder

3rd to pull everyone out and actually change the tire.

3 hours and worrying if Dad was ever coming back after he got into the van with the big family, window a/c unit and the recliner instead of van seats (this was before cell phones were everywhere) and we were back on the road.

Our very first camper (long story, but we'd never actually planned to tow it) got a flat on I4 in the middle or Orlando during heavy traffic.

And yep, you guessed it, it was the OUTSIDE tire that DH had to change while I stood there in my tie dye shirt trying to make sure everyone saw us, and alternating between nagging him to get his butt tucked in further and HURRY UP BEFORE WE GET KILLED!

It bears repeating...

Check your tires!

I agree 100%! I check psi every day of travel, and I also check tire and hub temps at every stop with an IR thermometer. Overkill? Maybe, but I learned the hard way about Chinese tires and improper inflation. I also would like to add to change out tires every 5 years or sooner, regardless of tread depth.

I just put a tire pressure monitoring system on my trailer and truck. It's not the answer to everything, but hopefully will give me advance warning before a blowout. In addition to checking pressures, it is a good idea to check wheel temps at every stop. Infrared temp gauges can be picked up at most auto parts stores relatively inexpensively. Now the tires and wheels will get hot, but what you are looking for is a significant variation in temperature between tires or wheels. Don't get upset, however, if it registers hot by a wheel near the exhaust pipe. That had me pretty upset the first time I checked wheel temps on my truck on a trip last year.

I agree 100%! I check psi every day of travel, and I also check tire and hub temps at every stop with an IR thermometer. Overkill? Maybe, but I learned the hard way about Chinese tires and improper inflation. I also would like to add to change out tires every 5 years or sooner, regardless of tread depth.

It not over kill I need to get one of those IF thermometers hub temp is also a fail piont in travel with a TT

I picked up a portable air compressor last year that fits in the pass-through compartment. I check before every trip, I can take it to the storage lot if the TT has been sitting there for a while, and I take it with me if I'm gone for longer than a weekend. It's nothing major, but it will handle the TT tires. You can't prevent a blow-out but you can reduce the odds a bit.

I check all tires before every trip. Also make sure lug nuts are tight

Our TT is a 2009 and last year we had to replace a tire because the sidewall was splitting. We check our tires prior to leaving as well, but I was wondering about the Lug Nuts, How often are they supposed to be greased?

Our TT is a 2009 and last year we had to replace a tire because the sidewall was splitting. We check our tires prior to leaving as well, but I was wondering about the Lug Nuts, How often are they supposed to be greased?

First we have a thread about lubing your ball - http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/1693-do-you-lube/

Now you want to get started on greasing your nuts?!? :rofl2:

Please, please Do Not grease your lug nuts. This will only cause the lug nuts to loosen. Check before every trip to make sure all lug nuts are tight.

If you should get a flat tire on the road, stop after 25 to 50 miles and check to make sure that they are staying tight.

If you have any more questions I will get an answer from Mike for you.

I can say I put new tires on my TT after two years. I well now do it every 3 years to me it is the best Investment. I stop every few 100 miles and check the hubs by touch and the tire heat. It's funny I have never done it just driving my car but do it when towing

I can say I put new tires on my TT after two years. I well now do it every 3 years to me it is the best Investment. I stop every few 100 miles and check the hubs by touch and the tire heat. It's funny I have never done it just driving my car but do it when towing

I wonder then if it isn't a good idea to just go ahead and replace them next spring before our trip to the fort? ???

Planning a trip next weekend and am doing my usual preflight check. Had the valve stems replaced recently with metal stems at the dealer 8 miles away, so I decided I better check the lug nut torques. The factory spec is 120 ftlbs. What were mine torqued to? 50 ftlbs! Another disaster avoided by preventive maintenance.