Down by the Riverside (and Fort): A TCD End of Summer Trip Report

The turkey leg shirt is awesome!!! Nathen must have one of those, considering he must have a turkey leg when he's at WDW.

march2011fort310.jpg

I feel your pain when you made it to Main Street and saw the hoards of people. I'm feeling a little claustrophobic just imagining it. I tend to get a little cranky and homicidal when I'm stuck in a crowd. I guess because I'm so short, when I get in a crowd, all I see are asses and backs and I feel like I can't breathe. I would have been right behind you, heading outta there!

So TCD got felt up by a creepy guy?! Geez, did he a least offer to buy you a drink first? ;D

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But don't you worry- I was up early on Sunday morning for a little visit to the Fort, and there is still a lot more of this report to come- including some new things I saw at Fort Wilderness.

Some of you will be surprised, I'm sure.

Two of the things I saw sure surprised me.

TCD

Don't leave us hanging too long!

(On another note, happily, the cruise doesn't replace the FW spring break trip! It will be a different trip with a new member of the family who has never appeared in any of my TRs before - my mom! :o I can't wait. I just haven't put it on a ticker yet as the girls don't know yet. They will be very excited (unlike reluctant DH), so I'm waiting for the surprise...)

Well, tell your son Happy Anniversary! I didn't know that they used Boatwrights for special occasions like wedding receptions. Is there a special section or separate room that they use for this? Or, were you seated with the regular guests?

The wedding reception was at Sunset Pointe. This was the rehearsal dinner the night before. We were seated with the regular guests, but we had a large table that was a little isolated from the others. Very nice. We chose Boatwrights because of their menu -- thought they would have something for everyone -- and it worked out great, everyone enjoyed it.

So, we went to Laugh Floor.

You will never believe who was "That Guy."

I have to post a photo so you'll know that I'm not lying:

100_2115.jpg

That's crazy.

Why do the monsters always pick on me?

I don't get it.

I thought they always pick a clueless old guy?

Or a lug?

Why me?

It's hard to top being That Guy.

TCD

That's very true!!! I will have to say that i have gotten 2 of those Wonderful stickers!!! I cant wait to get another.

But at least they picked a not so clueless old guy this time ;)

Ah, the Tiki Birds, another place too catch a quick nap :rofl2:

Great update, Andrew. I need more though the ride I'm on right now is boring. :rofl2:

I need to wait a few minutes before I reply. This update was great. Love, love, love those turkey legs. :heart:

Great update, Andrew. I need more though the ride I'm on right now is boring. :rofl2:

I need to wait a few minutes before I reply. This update was great. Love, love, love those turkey legs. :heart:

AH... mobile internet... fabulous!!

You did remember the dogs, right? Boring, with the ankle biters? :blink:

I can't believe I using my 8000 post to tell Genia that the little darlings are sleeping. And have been for the whole trip:). But look I reached another milestone in a TCD TR again :dance:

I can't believe I using my 8000 post to tell Genia that the little darlings are sleeping. And have been for the whole trip:). But look I reached another milestone in a TCD TR again :dance:

ahhhh, 8000 on little ole me....... :heart: :heart:

yea, you forgot the pups or drugged them up good....... :rofl2:

OK! 'Fess up! What did you drug them with?

TCD, We have not seen the new (old) tiki birds yet , but did enjoy the old (new) tiki bird show ,plus the a/c works good in show .

Earlier you mentioned finding a parking space at DD and I'll give out our "secret" not so secret parking spot. Park in lot 5 near the House of blues and take the boat to the other side . In all the times we have been I only had to walk once because the boats were down. Plus plenty of parking for MH, TT ETC.

Scott

Good idea about using that parking lot by HOB! I found that parking lot last year when taking my DD's to a concert at HOB. I never thought about using the water launch from there, but you are right- that would be a great way to beat the crowds. I imagine that there are usually a lot of open spaces in that parking lot.

OOOhhh! A cliffhanger! Can't wait to hear the rest!

That's how I roll.

I am getting to the things that surprised me.

But, it will take a post or two to get there.

On a somewhat serious note.

Following along on your TRs for a couple of years now, you, Andrew, have to be a candidate for the best dad award. The girls always look like they're have such a good time when you take them places. I'm sure as they get older they'll realize that you're a special dad.

Thanks, Lou.

I try.

Mrs. TCD is an awesome Mom, too. We have been blessed with three great daughters. Trust me, it is no sacrifice at all on my part to spend time with my daughters. I enjoy it.

The turkey leg shirt is awesome!!! Nathen must have one of those, considering he must have a turkey leg when he's at WDW.

march2011fort310.jpg

I feel your pain when you made it to Main Street and saw the hoards of people. I'm feeling a little claustrophobic just imagining it. I tend to get a little cranky and homicidal when I'm stuck in a crowd. I guess because I'm so short, when I get in a crowd, all I see are asses and backs and I feel like I can't breathe. I would have been right behind you, heading outta there!

So TCD got felt up by a creepy guy?! Geez, did he a least offer to buy you a drink first? ;D

Great photo!

The next time you are at the MK, head right for the Frontierland Turkey Leg stand (across from the Country Bears) that's where we got ours.

And, no, the creep didn't offer to buy me a drink first. I felt so used.

Don't leave us hanging too long!

(On another note, happily, the cruise doesn't replace the FW spring break trip! It will be a different trip with a new member of the family who has never appeared in any of my TRs before - my mom! :o I can't wait. I just haven't put it on a ticker yet as the girls don't know yet. They will be very excited (unlike reluctant DH), so I'm waiting for the surprise...)

That is awesome news!

Good for you.

A cruise is such a great way for multiple generations to spend time together.

I hope it all works out for you and your family.

Is there going to be a documented surprise for your girls?

I hope so. I recall that you surprised them before.

The wedding reception was at Sunset Pointe. This was the rehearsal dinner the night before. We were seated with the regular guests, but we had a large table that was a little isolated from the others. Very nice. We chose Boatwrights because of their menu -- thought they would have something for everyone -- and it worked out great, everyone enjoyed it.

Oops. You did say rehearsal dinner, and I said reception. I can see Boatwrights as a great place for a rehearsal dinner. Was the reception at Sunset Pointe outside?

ditto on the Tree house Open house!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srqcQXvp-Z4

I still don't get what geese have to do with this Trip Report.

But, I am with you on the treehouse open house!

That's very true!!! I will have to say that i have gotten 2 of those Wonderful stickers!!! I cant wait to get another.

But at least they picked a not so clueless old guy this time ;)

Two?

Slacker.

Hmmm.

I wasn't getting the waiting for a reply thing.

But then I saw this post:

That's great!!!

Congratulations, Doodle.

I am honored that you chose a TCD TR for your monumental 8,000th post!

Way to go!

And, have a safe trip!

TCD

Whew! What a difference a few days can make! I was so proud to get in on the first page.. Then Voila! Just like that I fell 11 pages behind!

I have to say that POR is absolutely beautiful!!! It sort of reminds me of a Fort Wilderness/Tom Sawyer Island combo with a bayou twist. We're not sure that we will have enough time for a FW stay next year but this resort could be a wonderful alternative. It looks like they have a lot of activities available and it really does remind me of how the Fort used to look.. ya know.. back when they took a little pride in it. Booo FW management!

I am anti-bus vomit.

But I am pro-t shirts for twin 1 and twin 2. You can't go wrong with a Rebel Spy and a MK Turkey Leg.

Yehaw Bob... Who knew? He sounds like fun and someone I would enjoy while munching on chicken wings.

As I mentioned, I had seen a lot of Disney World on TV and in magazines. But, I was absolutely blown away by seeing it in person. Disney World is 40 years old now, but when we visited, it was just a little over two years old. Everything was new, immaculate, and amazing. The technology in the park was beyond cutting edge. Remember, there was no cable TV in those days- we had maybe five or six channels to watch on our TV. If we wanted to listen to music, we had the radio or record players. There were no iPods, or even CD players then. Computers were still new, and they were huge and ridiculously expsensive. Nobody had a home computer, or even had a notion that there would be a reason to have one. We didn’t have cell phones. We didn’t even have microwave ovens. So, visiting this theme park where we arrived from the parking lot via monorail and there were life-like animatronics figures, and moving sidewalks, and a giant circular theater was just unbelievable to me.

Another thing that is important to remember is that you had to purchase a ticket for each WDW attraction you wanted to visit. I’m sure you have heard of or remember the A-E tickets. Each time you wanted to enjoy and attraction, you had to surrender a ticket. That meant that re-rides were unlikely. You had to plan carefully on how you would use your tickets.

Now I'm feeling all squishy inside. I remember the feeling well. And I remember the A-E tickets too. KFM's biggest memorabelia regret is cashing those in for the new and improved World Passport.

Yes. It is better than the "new management" show, which I found to be verging on irritating.

TCD

Verging?

I miss them too but am kinda glad the updates are only on week days since we travel and do family time on the weekends. I'd come back to find 10 pages to get through... I prefer to read TR live. I need to read KFK's report but the size of it is scaring me!

Don't be afraid reb. There are at least 10-15 pages worth of hijacks and derailments you can skip. :rofl2:

KFK's report is great. You should go ahead and get started on it.

TCD

Thanks for the plug.

I am thoroughly enjoying this one. Can't wait for the Fort Wilderness surprises. :yay:

By golly, it is time for an update!

So, here we go!

It is early on Sunday morning, August 21st.

Really early.

I wanted to head over to the Fort for a look around.

The food court at POR opens at 6 am. At first, it's just the bakery section that opens, with the hot food following at 7 am.

I wondered if anyone would be up at 6 am.

I found out that a lot of people are up early at POR.

As I headed down to the food court, there were people out jogging, and folks rolling suitcases up to the lobby, and even whole families dressed and obviously heading out to the parks.

Wow.

Not many people get going that early at the Fort.

I didn't plan to head over to the Fort until around 6:30, so I hung around the food court area for a little bit.

Boatwrights was empty, so I took a look around there.

The themeing of this place is pretty amazing. The restaurant is built to look like a building where boats are built. They have this partially constructed boat hanging there in the rafters:

100_2116.jpg

100_2117.jpg

The River Roost Lounge, where Yeehaw Bob performs, was also empty:

100_2119.jpg

This is the only advertising that I saw about good old Bob:

100_2120.jpg

I think this sign is way out of date, as I believe that Bob has been performing here for over 15 years.

I guess they don't need to promote him?

I headed back to my room to get a couple of bottles of water from my fridge before heading over to the Fort.

The sun was still not up as I snapped this photo from the walkway leading to our room:

100_2124.jpg

I left POR at a little past 6:30, and arrived at the Fort just a few minutes later.

I told the guard I intended to eat breakfast at Trail's End, and he directed me to the main parking lot. There were buses just sitting at the Outpost bus stop. I walked up, and hopped on an Orange bus. The driver asked where I was headed, and I told him that I wanted to be let off at the Meadow Trading Post. He headed out immediately, with me his only passenger. We went through the cabin loops, with him just slowing a bit at each stop, but not stopping. No one was waiting for a bus. I was let off at the Meadow Trading Post, and it wasn't even 7:00 yet.

I planned to walk from here over the bridge, and out the 1400 loop, down to the 300 loop, and then out the back of the 300 loop to the trail to the Settlement. I was looking forward to a nice walk, and I intended to take photos along the way. It was a cool morning for August- maybe in the high 70's.

Here is my first photo form that morning at the Fort. I am across the bridge, and looking toward the Meadow Trading Post and TnBob's dock. Everything was quiet and peaceful. I have yet to see another person out and about:

100_2125.jpg

You can see that it is just starting to get light- the lights are still on at the dock:

100_2126.jpg

It's just me and this bird out here:

100_2128.jpg

I walked along the lake toward the 1400 loop, past the campfire area, and then out to the 1400 loop. On my way out, I noticed that there was standing water behind the sites that back up to the campfire area:

100_2129.jpg

100_2130.jpg

There were a ton of open campsites at the Fort this weekend. Little Bear loop was completely empty:

100_2131.jpg

There were also a lot of open spaces on Big Bear:

100_2132.jpg

Just as I walked out of the 1400 loop, a Yellow Settlement bus was pulling up to the bus stop. I figured I would save some walking and time, so I hopped aboard. I was also the only passenger on this bus. I asked the driver to let me off at the 300 loop, and he did.

The entrance to the 300 loop had a lot of standing water:

100_2136.jpg

100_2137.jpg

I headed down the 300 loop, and finally ran into my first campers. There were a couple of folks out walking their dogs.

Near the back exit from the loop, I passed this campsite:

100_2138.jpg

100_2139.jpg

So why did I take photos of that site?

This guy got a TCD Real Man of Genius Award!

What guy, you ask?

Take a closer look inside the van, in front of the fan:

100_2140.jpg

This dude slept in his van.

With the door open.

And the fan pointing right at him.

He left his boots out over there by the cooler.

I would say that qualifies him as a TCDRMOG.

Congratulations to him!

There weren't even any fishermen out along the canal behind the 300 loop:

100_2141.jpg

Or at the dam:

100_2142.jpg

And, here's the reason I came back here:

100_2143.jpg

It's one of my favorite places in the Fort.

I love the view from here:

100_2146.jpg

I stayed and enjoyed the peace and tranquility for a while, and then I headed down this path to the Settlement:

100_2147.jpg

It was just me and this bunny back here:

100_2148.jpg

I love walking this path.

You feel like you are all alone in the middle of an old swamp walking back here:

100_2151.jpg

It was right after this that I found out that it wasn't just me and the bunny back here.

But, I have reached my photo limit, so I'll have to tell you who/what I ran into in the next update.

And, in case you haven't noticed, there haven't been any surprises yet.

I found my first surprise right after this, and I will have a photo of it for you in my next post.

TCD

100_2115.jpg

Nice shirt TCD! Showing some love to the Redbar! (although it looks kind of hippie-ish)

I thought that place was great! The future in-laws not so much.

Only one menu in the whole place and its on a chalkboard, lol. Our booth was completely re-done with duct tape and was slanted towards the wall so you slid in and had to climb out. haha

I can't wait to take my friends there in a couple months!

Keep the report coming!

WBI