Talk to me about cleaning the camper on vacation

Unfortunately letting the cleaning go - just isn't me - I grew up on a farm and my father was a nut about keeping things clean - Its amazing how the experiences that happen in our childhood frame our thoughts and feelings as an adult.

I really like the idea of a trash can that hooks outside the camper - we have to get rid of our garbage constantly because of critters - perhaps if it was off the ground it would not be as tempting? I definately have some more purchasing to do so the clean-up work is easier. #1 The broom I brought just isnt good for all the little corners and crevaces - I also need to ask that the whole family get involved in the daily clean up - that should make it go faster.

Anyone bring a vaccum with them? I am thinking about brining a small wet dry vac next time. Not only might it speed up the cleanup but it would help with the tow vehicle which is currently full of sand. The beach is a bit of a walk or ride for me (in my present condition) so we have been taking the suburban down with all our gear - it is now loaded with sand. It is going to make the trip home a scratchy one.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

We installed a Red Dirt Devil central vac, but more often use a hand held Dust Buster mounted on a convenient corner wall in the bathroom. DW often sweeps the hard sections of floors when the rest of us are outside. We keep a small trash can in the bath and in the dining area, but more often use a large black garbage bag kept under the small table behind the passenger seat. We keep two laundry bags in the bathroom, usuallly in the shower...one for whites, one for colors. We use mostly paper products, foam plates. I refuse to remove my shoes going in or out, but we have carpet and a mat just outside the door that helps knock sand off.

With our crew, laundry is done at least every other day. Heavy cleaning gets done later at home.

The Disney trash cans are convenient and are located every few campsites around the loops. They also have recycling bins for aluminum, glass, plastic, and paper. During busy periods, these seem to be emptied a couple times a day.

Can't remember if I've already posted this but, if you camp with pets of the hairy variety and have some carpeting in your camper but don't necessarily travel with a vacuum cleaner, here's a nifty trick for picking up pet hair.

Slicker.jpg

I think it's called a "slicker" brush but we refer to it as a pin brush. Any place that sells pet supplies should have them and you don't need an expensive one.

It does double duty - grooms your pet and does a bang-up job of pulling hair out of carpets.

We only have a little bit of carpeting in the TT - in the bedroom around the bed, a strip that runs under/in front of the dinette and couch, and then the very front where the 2 chairs are. The rest is vinyl flooring.

Every couple of days I take the brush to the carpet and the broom to the floor and it takes me about 5 minutes to make the TT dog hair free! And you wouldn't believe how much hair can build up in a small space in 2 days - even with dogs that don't really shed much! I'm sure the birds at the Fort have some of the plushest nests in town from the dog's worth of hair we leave behind. :)

We have even done this at home on the carpeted stairs - works better than any attachment they've come out with for the vac yet!

• 3 months later...

We have such a small space w/ 4 people, that I have to keep it neat or ther'd be no room for us! we have a neat 2 compartment folding laundry basket that I got at Target. I use one side for Laundry and the other I put a garbage bag in. It stays under the Fridge. I empty the trash at least once, if not twice a day. The laundry gets put in a Large garbage bag and put into the wheel wells until I have time to do it (usually in the middle of our 2 week vacation). I sweep the small floor (takes like 1 minute) almost every day and wipe the counters down w/ those Clorx cleaner clothes when needed. There's no carpet, but I do have 2 throw rugs that I shake out when needed. Most everything needs to be kept in it's "place" or we'd be overrun since our camper is so small. But we've had it for 13 years now and I can't image camping any other way! I love our Lance!

[quote name='ImDownWithDisney' timestamp='1314189011' post='78530'

We've tried several type of vacuum cleaners, but really haven't found the perfect size/suction ratio yet. I am thinking about putting in a Red Devil central unit with the dust pan suction thing.

[/quote}

We've tried several type of vacuum cleaners, but really haven't found the perfect size/suction ratio yet. I am thinking about putting in a Red Devil central unit with the dust pan suction thing.

We have this in our 5th wheel it works great well worth it, plus the vacum hose reaches the whole camper and also out side to vacum the storage bins ( if needed) and the truck.

• 7 months later...

This has not been answered in awhile but thought I would answer anyway. I don't clean all the time but I do like to clean inside and outsideof camper enough to keep the ants, bees and flies away! LOL! I have to be and keep things put away and organized a little bit or it would drive me crazy! I love the plastic bins from Walmart! I do like to make my beds in the morning, keep my dishes and pots and pans clean & put away, (try to use paper plates, cups, plastic silverware), keep our camper and rug out front sweeped off, wet towels & bathing suits hung up, dirty laundry in a hamper, things organized in bins, or picked up outside camper depending on what we are doing and using, (fishing stuff, bats, balls, toys, shoes, floats, sunscreen, etc., ).Garbage cans are a problem! We keep small garbage can in my bathroom and one in the kithcen area that the walmart bags fit into. These fill up fast & have to be emptied all the time! For outside we saw the green pop up garbage can , with zipped lid at Campers World and bought it. Because of the lid you can't put a bag in it. It also blows away. My husband then bought a garbage bag holder with a lid and 4 sides that collapsed that held the tall kithchen bags. That didn't work either! So... then I noticed one day last year he had combined the two, by puting the white garbage bag holder in the green pop up garbage can with zipped lid. He had also put a brick in the bottom of the green pop up garbage can first so it so it wouldn't blow away! LOL! So I guess whatever works!